Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

What's the best intake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 09:18 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS
Question What's the best intake?

You know someone will ask, might as well make a thread they can just goto. My take on things...

Cold / Cool Air Intakes:

Cobb Tuning: (http://www.cobbtuning.com)
A real cold air intake, my personal favorite. Nice "non-ricey" sound. Arguabley the best gains but definitely one of the best out there. I hear the inline filter can be hard to clean. Only made for 2000+ (Non-MAF) cars, but can be adapted to fit older ones. ~$270

Gravel Sport: (http://www.pkzero.com)
Top-Mount cold air intake. You have to have a hood scoop for this to work. Running an open scoop you will of course get some water on your intake, to my knowledge this intake has not given anyone any problems though. By the design of this intake I would imagine it trades low-end for top-end power. Which isn't really a bad thing in my opinion since the 2.5 needs help up top. Only made for 2000+ (Non-MAF) cars. ~$300

Injen: (http://www.injen.com/misc.html)
The "traditional" cold air into the fender design. Probably offers good gains with less loss in the low end that the others. Much more susceptable to water integestion than the others, I would not recommend this intake if you like playing in puddles. I hear it's kind of a PITA to get to the filter to clean it and you can't just look to see if it's dirty. Made for MAF and MAP cars. ~$250

Ganzflow: (http://www.subaruplanet.com)
Generally regarded as the best value intake. Doesn't replace the stock filter or air-box, so retains a good amount of low-end but doesn't give the gains that others too. One of the quietest intakes you can get. Only made for 2000+ (Non-MAF) cars. ~$110

PDM: (http://www.pdm-racing.com)
Basically a copy of the 2nd gen. Ganzflow, so see above. Only made for 2000+ (Non-MAF) cars. ~$50

Intermediate:

Rallispec: (No longer available)
Opening the side vent and a blocking plate allow it to suck in cooler air. Had some mounting problems that Rallispec later fixed. Good gains, mostly top-end. The loudest intake for the 2.5l that I know of. Made for MAF and MAP cars. ~$ depends

Turn 3: (No longer available)
The first intake made for the RS. Opening the side vent and a blocking plate allow it to suck in cooler air. A good option for '98s, I dunno if it fits 99s too. Good luck finding one though. Made for MAF car. ~$

Short Rams:

AEM: (http://www.aempower.com/)
Well known company, I would imagine a very well made intake. From a design perspective, I have to question this one. Since it's a short ram it's a hot air intake, in addition the bend in the intake is unnecessarily sharp which will happer air flow. Also this intake interferes with a lot of strut tower bars. I'm sure it adds some up top, but I can't see it adding the performance of the others. It looks pretty though. ~$150

JC Sports: (No longer available)
The infamous JC sports. Known for being loud, it's not as loud as the Rallispec, if you want sound it's a good choice. It is dyno proven to add hp and will do so. I'd say it's more a top end intake like most short rams. Better designed than the AEM IMO but not as pretty. Made for MAF and MAP cars. ~$ depends, don't pay more than $100 for sure

Weapon *R: (http://*******************/intakes.html)
Comes in two types, Dragon and Hyper. Dragon is the newer of the two and I must say looks really cool, but I don't think either offers more performance. It's longer than the AEM or JC Sports, so should offer more low-end. Should, but as far as I know doesn't. I've heard people complain of bogging at low RPMs but good gains up top. I've also heard complaints of poor fitting and poor quality. Made for MAF and MAP cars. ~$175 for hyper, $205 for the dragon, I believe the price may vary based on MAF/MAP

RS Akimoto: (?)
I don't know much about it. I've seen it, that's about it. If you are looking for a short ram, might as well buy this one. It should be the cheapest and provide the same gain as the others. Made for MAF and MAP cars. ~$?

Technik Motorwerks: (?)
Just a basic ram air from what I gather.
Made for MAF and MAP cars. ~$?

DIY:

Filter Directly on TB:
Opening the hoodscoop gives a so called "ram-air" effect at higher speed. General consensus is good high end, bad low end. If you run something like this, I would advise keeping a blocking plate around in case it rains. ~$? depends on your filter

Removal of the silencer:
Little more sound, no performance increase.
~$ free

Look farther in the thread for more stuff...

My opinion, ante up for a cold air. If you are going to modify your car, might as well do it right.

Last edited by AWD OWNZ U; 12-04-2002 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:54 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
I have heard your choice of intake should be easy based on what you want from it.

For sound, get JC Sports.
For power, Cobb first and probably Ganzflow second.
AEM is just so you can spend as little as possible and still say "I have an intake." They lose much more on the low end than they gain high.
The Gravel Sport sounds intriguing, and making the scoop functional was the first impulse I had after buying my '01 RS. But $300 seems awful steep for an unproven (so far) product that can't really do all that much for power. It should have a screaming sound though. To approximate it, take off your whole intake tract past the plenum box (where the filter is housed on '00-'01 RS') and pull the backing plate off the scoop. Shouldn't be too much quieter.

For the record, I have actually used none of these, it's all conjecture and repition of things I have heard from others. Also, www.subarureview.com has lots of user feedback on all kinds of goodies. We should all go there and list every upgrade we have done as a servic to each other.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:17 AM

Car Info: MY99 Black GC4
For Canadian people, you can order PRM CAI's (Cobb CAI's) directly from PRM itself, but only if you're from Canada.

http://www.prmracing.com

Another real treat if you're from Canada, they sell some kits that are made for MY99's at special request.

For the U.S. of A, Cobb is the offical distributor of PRM CAI's.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:11 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Re: Don't forget...

Originally posted by Tachometer
What about good old DIY? Best bang for the buck...hands down!

Tachometer
Haha, yeah. It should be mandatory for anyone with an EJ25 to take off everythng back of the plenum box at least once just to hear it!
Old 11-25-2002, 10:08 PM

Car Info: RIP: 2000 2.5RS Sedan, BRP Now: 08 WRB WRX Hatch
I've heard someone told me the injen intake was also CARB legal and comes with a sticker that says so. I'd get this intake if I had the money. I don't get big puddles around my area so i'm safe. Plus i hear they did one of the best compared to other intakes with good gains without that much loss in low end.

so far i still have my GanzFlow intake.. for got the version since its a 2 piece. i've also cut the fins in my stock intake box. great bang for the buck with the GanzFlow I don't know if it is one of the quietest intake since my engine did get louder with this on.. very noticable.

Daios (Day-ohhss)
Old 11-26-2002, 12:08 AM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
I still like Dcrawford's custom "cowl" induction modified COBB intake...

Quick Reply: What's the best intake?