Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

temp gauge climbs to 'Hot' zone (was: Temperature Question)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 06:03 PM

Car Info: 2001 RS
Temperature Question

So this is the first time I noticed this but when my car is at idle the temp guage goes all the way up to the H (heat) but as soon as I start driving the temp goes back to normal.

Anyone know what causes this? as I am clueless
Old 08-26-2005, 06:16 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
you might be leaking radiator fluid and the only thing keeping your car from overheating is all the cold air hitting it while in motion.

get your radiator fluid level checked ASAP. if it's empty, fill it up, if it's full and your car does that...take it to a mechanic/dealer. or hopefully other peopel will have helpful input.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:59 PM

Car Info: Sleeper Much?
i say its an air bubble. Did you pop the top on your coolant system any time lately?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
sounds more like your fans not coming on, at speed your fan shuts off because air is moving through your radiator cooling it, when stopped at idle your fans come on. let your car warm up parked then pop your hood and see if your fans comes on. and check your fuses!
Old 08-26-2005, 11:09 PM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
im pretty sure theres an air bubble in your cooling system. when your thermostat doesnt see anything passing through but air, your needle will go up to H.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:18 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
Or just a faulty thermostat.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:41 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Without looking at the car it's impossible to say what's causing your problem.
If the engine is stone cold...overnight cold...how long at idle does it take to reach H?
Did you check the coolant level?

Could be:
1. Bad gage and/or wiring.
2. Thermostat is bad.
3. Fans are bad.
4. Head gasket(s) are bad.
5. Clogged radiator.
6. Water pump is bad...not likely.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:44 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
This has happened to me twice - exactly the same symptoms.

The first time my radiator was broken, there was a micro hole in the plastic part that couldn't be seen, but when the system pressurized, it would leak coolant.

The second time it was my water pump - just failed.

My neighbor also had the same problem once, it was a clog (kink) in the radiator hose.

Good Luck - fix it asap, cooling is very important for turbocharged cars.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:17 AM

Car Info: 2001 RS
Thanks for the replies guys, but yea I was driving around running erans and i stopped by my pad to run in and grab something and by the time i got back which was like a few minutes the temp was all the way up but as soon as i drove off it went back down, btw I have an 01 RS if that helps, also I do hear the fan while idle'ing and on my driveway I don't see any symptoms of leakage, so I'll take a look at the hoses and fluids and keep ya posted...
Old 08-27-2005, 01:21 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Could just be a bad thermostat. Not sure how the subaru ones work but my old truck back in HS went through those quite often. Only like a $3 fix. If it is a bubble most shops can suck the air out through a suction pump system. Faster than draining and filling up again.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:47 AM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
Originally Posted by EJ25RS
Thanks for the replies guys, but yea I was driving around running erans and i stopped by my pad to run in and grab something and by the time i got back which was like a few minutes the temp was all the way up but as soon as i drove off it went back down, btw I have an 01 RS if that helps, also I do hear the fan while idle'ing and on my driveway I don't see any symptoms of leakage, so I'll take a look at the hoses and fluids and keep ya posted...

to see if there is air bubbles in the coolnig system. take off the radiator cap(make sure your car is cool!) then squeeze the upper radiator hose. if you see bubbles coming up from where the cap is, that means there is air in the system. Just keep squeezing the hose until you dont see bubbles anymore, and add more coolant.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
My money is on the fans not working. Run your car at idle, turn on the AC, and see if the fans kick on. If they don't kick on within about 30 seconds your fans and/or fan relay is bad.

-Chris
Old 08-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
Originally Posted by EJ25RS
I have an 01 RS if that helps, also I do hear the fan while idle'ing and on my driveway I don't see any symptoms of leakage, ...
Well, at least the fans are working, just make sure the radiator is full of coolant, it's probably low for some reason. Next is to determine why it got low. Either it has a leak and is losing coolant externally or the head gaskets are begining to fail and the combustion is pushing the coolant out of the system into the coolant reservoir. This is becoming more common on SOHC engines. The 2.5 DOHC engines are notorious for this. Symptoms are overheating and coolant reservoir turning dirty with black flakes and/or carbon. A smog station can test the coolant for hydro-carbons with their sniffer, if it has any, the head gaskets are blown. Sorry don't want to scare you, just things I check for on cars.

Hope this helps,
-Adam
Old 09-07-2005, 01:16 AM

Just curious if you ever found the cause to your problem. I have a 03 wrx that seems to be doing the same thing. If I sit at idle the temp will shoot up to H and if i rev the engine or start driving the temp will go back down. I can't find any leaks, fluid is full, hoses look great. I'm thinking the thermostat is sticking in the closed position when at idle going through an open close cycle and once the engine rpm's rise the rise in perssure is enough to help it back open again. It doesn't do it all the time just once every other day or so. If it was a bubble i the system I'd think it would overheat at any time not just at idle.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:30 PM

Car Info: '99 STM 2.5RS --> '06 Scion xA --> ???
I had the same problem with my car as well ('99 RS) and it was the coolant level.