Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

rad fans going crazy... help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 08:48 PM

Car Info: 95 inpreza lx wagon
Unhappy rad fans going crazy... help!!!!

ok... we are building a 95 impreza wagon 2.2l for pro ralling and we had to change out the 4ae for the 5mt and in doing so had so minor glitches ( key release,neutral saftey on the clutch etc) but we have sorted it all out and the car starts and runs fine except for two things??? #1 if the key is in the "on" position the rad fans come on and "cycle" from low to high to off and they will contiune to do this for as long as the key is on??? any hints as to what is going on??? & #2 how can I get the idle to come down it runs around 1800 rpm (set for the auto) can I get there through the throttle position sensor?? any body??? Bansuv are you reading this I need help !!!!!!
steve
Old 05-05-2003, 01:55 PM

can anybody help me ???? anybody got suggestions to try at least ???? anything ????
Old 05-05-2003, 06:10 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
and on that note, we cue the music...

Are you running stand alone management? That would solve the idle problem, otherwise just grab a stock 2.2 5mt ECU. Shouldn't cost much used and would probably solve a lot of problems, maybe even the fan thing. That may be due to a lack of signal from the tranny oil temp sensor.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:35 AM

Thumbs up

music??? is that the theme from Nightmare On Elm Street??? thanks for the input ... no we are not using a stand alone management system (no cash ) but I belive we have over come the idle issue but am still stranded with the fans ... so you belive it might be comming from a temp sensor in the auto trans hmmmm what is your thoughts on "hot wiring" this sensor into beliving that the auto was in place and correct ... is that possible or do you have any pearls of wisdom you can dispense to put me out of my misery!!! thanks again for the help

steve
Old 05-06-2003, 01:40 PM

Unfortunately I can't think of anything you could plug it into that would have similar temps to the tranny. You could try reading the wiring diagrams to see what the voltage range is, and check that against the coolant temp sensor voltage. If that's the same, just double up the water temp signal into the tranny temp signal. But, that's unlikely. It might be easier to try to find a stock ECU, which shouldn't cast all that much.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:19 PM

thanks !!! we have the wiring diagrams and are trying to find out if we can fool the computer ... the problem with getting another ecu is where I live the are not popular in the junkyards so are very very hard to come by used and when we can find used stuff its usually junk but I will keep trying for the 5MT ecu ... but thanks again for the heads up I will let you know how it goes this week...
steve
Old 05-06-2003, 02:26 PM

http://www.4subarusuzukikiaparts.com/

There are lots of auto recyclers with websites that will ship to you. This is one of hte better ones.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:48 PM
avk

On 2.2 Imprezas, all of which are OBDII, the fans cycle as you describe when the green test connectors under the dash are plugged together.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:01 AM

Thumbs up

Hi AVK !! thanks for the info... does that mean I can unlpug them without any harm (green connectors?) were they not plugged in origonally? thanks again
steve
Old 05-10-2003, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by quig
Hi AVK !! thanks for the info... does that mean I can unlpug them without any harm (green connectors?) were they not plugged in origonally? thanks again
steve
Those are part of the OBDII diagnostic system. You are supposed to plug those together, start the car, and they flash codes or an all-clear signal. Is your CEL flashing? Either way, try disconnecting them.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:55 PM
avk

Normally, they are unplugged. I plugged them with the key "on" and saw the fans cycle.
Originally posted by quig
steve
Old 05-12-2003, 08:11 AM

Thumbs up

thanks again AVK... I got the timming belt cover gaskets this am from my subie dealer so we will put the front of the motor back together tonight ... we painted the cage on the weekend so I should be able to get to the wires for a test and see if that is the answer!!! I will report back tommorow with an update!!!
steve
Old 05-13-2003, 07:48 PM

Thumbs up

on the nose AVK!!!! the plugs were together and once unplugged everything returned to normal !!! woooo hooooo!!!!!!!! thanks again for all the great help everybody....and a quick side question I have a autometer shift light that I would like to install in the Impreza does anybody know where to pick up the ground side of the coil packs to wire up the light???
steve
Old 05-14-2003, 07:49 AM
avk

Glad it worked. I thought if the plugs were connected, it had to be recently and you'd know w/o looking, so it might be something else, like the disconnected TCU or whatever. The coil pack has a constant "+" wire (yellow) and two switched ground wires for the coils.

Last edited by avk; 05-14-2003 at 09:17 AM.