Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Ok, here's the deal... 99 2.5RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 08:03 PM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
For N/A Subys like ours COBB Tuning has a lot of cool stuff.

I put on headers, took out the cats and run a stromung exhaust SS Dual tip. The sound is great and combined with a K&N filter I dropped over 1/2 second in the quarter. So those who say that the gains are small.... half a second is pretty good.

I also recently installed the COBB cams. The install calls for a Torx Plus. I used a T40 from Snap on and it worked fine. My engine had only 34k miles. Older engines may have more problems. Also the 99 is dual overhead cams not SOHC like the 00 and up.

The SOHC engines have a stronger bottom end. Subaru used a different piston and wrist pin design that is weaker on the 98-99 RS's. So if you're looking for more power capability the 00 and up is the way to go.

When concerned about the MAF sensor and aftermarket upgrades the answer is simple, but expensive. A link system or other aftermarket engine management system can be used to eliminate the MAF and all the problems associated with it. Link is great because it fits in the stock ECU harness and assembly and uses all stock components (sensors). However it runs about 1400.

I recommend an aftermarket engine management system, COBB Cams, Headers (any style you want) and full exhaust. GET RID OF THE STOCK CATS. They are the biggest problem. My 1/4mi time dropped 3/10's after I changed the cats to a higher flow 2 1/2" pipe.

Cobb cams are great! If you have the money, their heads are supposed to really help out the power of the motor.

Headers are awesome. What type depends on what you want to do. The Brullen and MRT's yield the highest power gains. I'm running the Borlas and love them.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:25 AM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
>I was looking at the cobb site and noticed they said that the 99 was a sohc, not dohc, so I'm not sure who's right.

99 is SOHC, 98 was DOHC
Old 12-03-2002, 11:24 AM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
Yeah Peaty is right. 99 is SOHC, but MAF. Sorry.

I don't know if my O2 sensor is about to go out or something, but right now my car is indicating rich after the cam install.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:07 AM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
Originally posted by ImprezaRSX

I don't know if my O2 sensor is about to go out or something, but right now my car is indicating rich after the cam install.
While my front O2 sensor was going bad (and finally went and threw a CEL) I saw increased fuel consumption and had a fair amount of carbon on my exhaust tips. After I replaced it all is well. Mine went at ~56K. I have some info on the scoobymods site regarding replacement and such. FWIW the rear sensor will not effect the AF ratio, it's just an indicator of cat efficency. (I'm talking the NA RS I have)

Peaty
Old 12-08-2002, 02:23 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
These threads are taking the long route to telling you that without cams, you won't get real big gains from any combo of bolt-ons. Caveat, however, I have an '01 and am not totally familiar with the SOHC, MAF of the '99. I have only heard that they cause a lot of headaches when you mess with airflow. Basically, replace all the exhaust including cats and get the cams, and you should be good for at least 185-190 hp, or more. Don't mess with the intake unless you are ok with blowing a MAF every 4 months or so, and I don't think many people are. Also, the AFC might not be a bad idea, since you can somewhat effectively butt-dyno them. Just use it to slowly lean everything out until you hear that first ping (don't do it without someone with good ears who knows what to listen for) and also make sure that if you tune on 91 octane, DON'T GO BACK to 87, ever.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:26 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by Haadkoe
No worries about the SOHC / DOHC thing, as long as we're all on the same page now... I haven't ordered any parts yet.

Concerning the rich condition after the cam install, on the bright side at least it isn't leaning out like I would have expected. Especially when cramming more air in the cylinders than the ecu was ever expecting... Then again stoich would be nice huh?

I guess in all reality, if I get her to do the cams I might as well try to get her to get some kind of engine management system, be it a stand alone ECU or an AFC. Even if the cams do give the +20HP or so gains they claim on Cobb's site, (me = skeptical) I'd imagine things could only get better with some good tuning on a dyno wih a wideband 02, right? I doubt she'll go for it at the moment, but perhaps after she starts feeling the hunger for performance increases things will fall into place.

For the moment I think I'm going to get her setup with the exhaust mods and see where it takes us.
Stand-alone or even Link is big money and a bit of a pain in the ***. It sounds like she wants things better, but isn't looking for anything too complex. Once she sees what the cams and installation will cost, I doubt she'll want to spring for it anyway. But, the cams, with no other mods, will make her car the equal of most any N/A Civic or non-Type R Integra she comes across. Adding the exhaust should make her car faster.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:00 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally posted by Peaty
While my front O2 sensor was going bad (and finally went and threw a CEL) I saw increased fuel consumption and had a fair amount of carbon on my exhaust tips. After I replaced it all is well. Mine went at ~56K. I have some info on the scoobymods site regarding replacement and such. FWIW the rear sensor will not effect the AF ratio, it's just an indicator of cat efficency. (I'm talking the NA RS I have)

Peaty

so that's what's happening!

what type of sensor did you get Peaty? I'm at 88k!!!

-Gagan
Old 12-12-2002, 08:25 AM

Car Info: Sedona red RS
Talking

the ej25 has two headers, borla is the most economical, look at www.borla.com By all means open the scoops in the summer time, beign in new england I would leave them close in the winter, to prevent dirt and snow from sitting in your engine bay. AFC highly recomended with or with out CAI, Cam is the biggest increase in HP, exhaust very little HP increase, I suggest you buy a GTECH pro competition meter, so you can monitor the HP increases, and find out if the money your spending is making a difference. Between the GTECH and AFC you should be able to tune the car in and make the most of your mods.

Quick Reply: Ok, here's the deal... 99 2.5RS