Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

noobie question on exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 04:34 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
The first exhaust picture is the SPT/STi exhaust offered by dealers. The price you pay for that is just the muffler section of the exhaust system.

The Greddy Evo Exhaust is probably a full catback system meaning it replaces the resonator with a new pipe and has a completely different muffler section.

The biggest difference would be noise, appearance, and flow. I dunno how the Greddy exhaust system is but I think that the STI muffler sounds good and gives the car a really throaty sound.

Normally with exhausts they will not cause any major problems. The warranty issue is a very fine line and every dealership takes certain mods differently. It all depends on whether or not your dealership is mod friendly.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:37 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
Well anything that has freer flow will help improve flow. You will gain some horsepower but not enough to be noticeable.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:03 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Changing your muffler will absolutely not void any part of your warranty. About the only claim they could deny is if you screwed up your exhaust ahngers or something. The real upside to the SPT stuff is the quality. It's close to the fastest, pretty expensive because of mark-up if you don't have a connection, but usually worth it across the board for STi/SPT stuff.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:39 PM

Car Info: 2003 WR Blue WRX Sedan
HI GUYS, I'M THINKING ABOUT EXHAUSTS AND THE DEALER EXHAUST IS STILL AN OPTION FOR ME. I'M ALSO LOOKING AT BORLA CATBACK, BLITZ, ETC. WILL I NOTICE HP GAINS WITH BORLA CATBACK VS. DEALER INSTALLED STI MUFFLER? WHICH EXHAUST SYSTEM WILL GIVE GOOD HP GAINS, A NICE THROATY (BUT NOT TOO LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS) SOUND, AND BE ABOUT $400-600?
ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A NEWB ARE APPRECIATED...
Old 03-30-2003, 12:47 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by FlaBrit
I'm interested as to how much the dealers are charging for the STI muffler?
They're all different, but you can't get a lot cheaper than the internet-savvy dealers. Try these:

Exeter Subaru
Tacoma Subaru
iSR Performance

They also have several good aftermarket exhausts available.

Originally posted by acsWRX
HI GUYS, I'M THINKING ABOUT EXHAUSTS AND THE DEALER EXHAUST IS STILL AN OPTION FOR ME. I'M ALSO LOOKING AT BORLA CATBACK, BLITZ, ETC. WILL I NOTICE HP GAINS WITH BORLA CATBACK VS. DEALER INSTALLED STI MUFFLER? WHICH EXHAUST SYSTEM WILL GIVE GOOD HP GAINS, A NICE THROATY (BUT NOT TOO LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS) SOUND, AND BE ABOUT $400-600?
ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A NEWB ARE APPRECIATED...
On your WRX, bigger is better as far as exhaust is concerned. A 3" catback is pretty much the same powerwise no matter who makes it. It's just a matter of looks and sound preference. Start with rating them by looks (you can find pics of any listed in these forums pretty easily) and then try to hear the ones you think look good.

Last edited by Kevin M; 03-30-2003 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:05 AM

Car Info: 2.5rs with Eighteens!!!lol
Necro do you play Diablo?

Anyway, don't mess with the dealer if they are subtley warning you about the muffler, because in the end they can deny you for a multitude of reasons they can manufacture regarding that minor modification. It all depends on the particular attitiude and understanding the dealer's management has regarding modification to your car...the department of transportation's laws and regualations are never quite "as spoken" in the real world (or in court for that matter)...remember THIS !!!!

...play the game...live within the confines of the warranty and be PATIENT...save for when the car is YOURS!!!