Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

My mod list (built 2.5), need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 08:10 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru RS 2.5 (soon to be N/A beast)
One Step Ahead

I definitely have thought about taking off too much weight. It could be a problem, but only because the stock computer starts to get all screwy. I am running a lightweight flywheel but not a lightweight pulley set. If you balance the pistons, rod ends and crank when you lighten everything, you shouldn't have a problem, but most people aren't lucky enough to have access to the machines do that.(unlike me, hahahaha) I am working with one of my professors who holds over 20 world titles for the engines he builds and he and I were discussing the pros and cons to doing all that. I am not doing it right this moment, but I will be doing it come next fall when I build my crazy higher compression balanced/blueprinted/lightened block. At that point I'll be at a fully driver controlled stand alone engine management system.

Anyway, before I got off on my tangent (again), you are right. Lightening everything is definitely going to have adverse effects on overall engine balance, as well as completely screwing with the stock ECU.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:51 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Boxer engines are inherantly ballanced. They dont need "ballancers" and other devices that Inline and V-series engines require. You can lighten the pulleys and flywheel at will, although I wouldnt go much under 13lbs for a flywheel anyway.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:51 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru RS 2.5 (soon to be N/A beast)
Crank Walk

Hi Dan. The shop that I am working in is not that impressive at all. You would be more than welcome to come down and sit in on a class of mine. The professors would not mind at all. I have them on Thursday nights. As far as the other shop, I am not really doing much there. If I run into any problems at the school, I will be doing the other stuff down at the other shop. The other shop that my professor owns (where he builds the Panos, Trans-Am, etc engines) is not all that impressive right now because he has been busy and working a lot. However, when I went down there the last time, there was a few Winston Cup motors, an experimental fuel injected Ford 460, a few Cobra R motors for some race team, an crazy engine dyno, etc, etc. So, even though it was messy, it was still quite impressive.

To address crank walk, i think they're talking about how much end play the crank has. The thrust bearing controls that. I forget which one it is but one of the main bearings has a part on it that keeps the crank from moving forward and backward. So, basically, crank walk is how much the crank moves towards the front and back of the car in the block. As far as lightening up the crank gear, the stock one is a harmonic balancer. It provides balance to the bottom half. On an V style engine, if you lighten that up too much, you can throw off the balance of the engine, whereas a horizontally opposed engine is naturally balanced provided that the piston and rod weights are relatively close.

I think that I've addressed everything.

As far as the throttle bodies, I can't do it yet. I have to wait until I go to a full stand alone system.

Oh, I also called Ben yesterday and talked to him for a little while. I am going to get a Unichip from him. Those guys are super cool and they really know what they're talking about. I'll pay the extra it costs just to buy it through them.

Gotta run.

nathan
Old 01-20-2003, 11:17 AM

Car Info: fastar
PROPS DUDE

hey man i give u crazy respect for this, i'm all about N/A, nothing against turbos but i wana try to squeeze as much power out of it before i turbo. i love the idea of a Naturally Aspirated street monster. i've been planning on getting an rs and rebuilding the engine with COBB block, cyl heads and power package. i like the cobb route cuz they make sure not to lose that o so loved low end but your set up sounds sick. you should start a naturally aspirated thread, get ppl to post hp/torque, 1/4's, etc.... good luck with the car man!
Old 01-21-2003, 11:28 AM

Car Info: fastar
dude u should check out http://www.aerosim-research.com they hav a cf hood with some really sweet vents where the stock ones should b, ask them for a quote. their cf stuff as far as i've heard from stever is well priced. good luck with the hood!
Old 01-22-2003, 02:28 AM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Note: I just read that the AVCS for the STI is tunable... This makes me wonder how much power the AVCS N/A EJ25's would make when the Variable valve timing is tuned, combined with all the other good engine mods (minus cams/heads of course, since that is what makes the AVCS is part of)