Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

My mod list (built 2.5), need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 10:07 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
MRT header photos:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/b432d...OH8G.AZifaTrrO

http://www.jetlink.net/~okayfine/MRTsystem.jpg
Old 01-08-2003, 01:38 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru RS 2.5 (soon to be N/A beast)
MRT

From what I've heard, the MRT dynoed very well. It is supposedly one of the best on the market because it is made to work as one flowing unit, instead of having a bunch of pieced together exhausts. I have heard they throw a CEL but it is easily fixed with that $15 wiring fix. It looks like a perfect system if you ask me. Very straight, very smooth, very simple, not too flashy; Just the way it should be to make good power.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:34 PM
NASIOC Slut

It would also be more expensive if it were stainless. If it ever gets rusty, just get some naval jelly to remove the rust and repaint it. Cleans up nice.

The MRT system showed a 15hp gain on a stock car. Theres a dyno of it floating around on the old club...

And you can fit the stromung muffler on the exhaust, but not the midpipe. The midpipe length is different. Good thing is that you can order the exhaust with everything BUT the muffler and save some money.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:48 PM
NASIOC Slut

Yes, the MRT is quieter than the borla's due to lack of bends. I like the sound alot myself, since thats the same set up that MMMPREZA has on his car which I have heard in person.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:58 PM

DAN

Dan, I sent you a PM in I-club. Check it out.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:52 PM

Nervous.....Please

Even if I don't come out on top, I think I have you beat since I am doing all of the work myself without any real prior knowledge. So, theoretically, if my car runs at all I'll be 1 up. Haha. I am not real concerned with hp numbers. I am most concerned with butt dyno results and at the track. That's where these mods are really going to matter.
Later....
Old 01-12-2003, 09:38 AM

Good Point

Yeah Dan, I guess that is a pretty good point you have there. When the engine is completely done (like next year with the high comp block and 4 throttle bodies), if there is anyone faster than me, (which would obviously mean they were crazy turbo'd with nitrous) I will have the comeback that, "yeah, you may be faster than me, but if you'll look at my engine, you'll clearly see that I'm insane and that's a pretty good accomplishment for an insane person!" hahaha. Well Dan, thanks for the words of encouragement. It's too bad that you don't live down here near me. I would definitely like to have someone to share my insanity with. There is plenty of room and garages available for rent. I have a big 2 car garage for $75 a month and I am only 1&1/2 hours from New York City or Philadelphia. Plus where I live I have like 10 mountains anywhere between 15 minutes and 1 hour to snowboard at! Not to bad. Well, I think that I've babbled enough. I'll talk to you soon. Keep in touch and get that damn car done so I can see how your chip tuning works out.
Later.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:52 PM

Looks like a killer build, good luck! Let us know how it goes.

One word of CAUTION. Be careful with lightening up too much weight off the ends of the crank. Lightweight underdrive pulleys AND a really light flywheel might stretch the engineered limits of crank balance......you don't want to introduce too much possibility for imbalance and thus, bearing problems, crank "walking", etc.

Not knowing specific engineering parameters for the EJ25, this is only theory. I do know that other engines, like some BMW 6s, start to get unruly with too much 'off-crank' lightening. The EJ25 does have a fairly sizable bore, which theoretically introduces the possibility for more side loading problems.......especially with the narrow rod journals of the EJ25.

Just verify that others are running such a combo with no problem. Nothing to freak out about.

-Mirror

Quick Reply: My mod list (built 2.5), need opinions.