Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

more Borla Headers q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 04:51 PM

Car Info: 99RS
more Borla Headers q's

I've heard that some of the early generation Borla headers would throw CELs. Is this issue now gone from the gen. 4 headers? Or is it only gone if you wrap the headers in order to make the oxygen sensors work as supposed to? Is it necessary to wrap the headers? I asked a muffler shop guy about wrapping headers for this reason and he said that he never heard of it. And he also thought that wrapping headers would ruin them (I guess due to collection of water) - although Borla headers are Stainless Steel
Old 07-03-2006, 06:42 PM

I read as much as I could here about Borla headers but am still unsure about these two things: are there still any issues with check engine lights after installing headers(?) and do you need to wrap the headers (may be related to #1)?
Old 07-05-2006, 05:47 AM

Car Info: 1996 impreza 60 trim, 8psi 201 whp, 213 tq 200k mi
you wont get CELs as long as you keep your cats!
Old 07-05-2006, 09:07 PM

Car Info: 99 2.5 rs
depends on wut exhaust u use, but, if u can afford it go wit the twe, but if ur pockets are hurtin go with the borla, its great for how cheap it is, borla throws off alot of people cuz its so cheap compared to the other systems available. but its ok in my book, i had it with the N1 and ive been told borla is cool with that setup, i was satisfied. and also i heard if u use borla with the random tech its real nice(never had the chance cuz it got wrecked but good luck
Old 07-06-2006, 08:13 PM

I have a ScoobySport catback and a larger intermediate pipe (where I had a small muffler installed (glass-pak) after being stopped by police (wasn't that loud!?).

Anyway I want to add Borla headers to the system and am not sure if they need header wrap (I found some companies I can order it from - I don't know if local stores have this stuff).
Old 07-12-2006, 10:34 AM

Car Info: 00 RS
I've been running Borla headers for 5 years now and never had a problem. I wouldn't bother wrapping them. There is really no need. The airflow under the subaru is fairly strong and the headers are not cramped in the engine bay like a traditional inline 4. You should really only wrap inline 4 headers because they generate so much heat in the engine bay. Keep in mind that once you wrap headers in fiberglass any used oil that might leak onto them will essentailly make it one giant candle wick. Being the headers are located directly under the motor, you run the risk of spilling oil on them. So don't bother to wrap them.

I've been running an after market high flow cat with straight pipes and never tossed an o2 code as a result of the headers.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to call me

Mitch Williams
Checkpoint Racing
303-296-3030
www.checkpoint-racing.com
Old 07-16-2006, 04:15 PM

Thanks that's very helpful to know. I ordered headers from South Coast Performance and they are still on back-order but almost here.

And who installs headers on a Subaru? I was talking to my usual muffler speciality place and they said they don't normally install headers. So I was thinking of Carter Subaru which is pretty cool with upgrades and such. My Subaru is obviously not on warranty anymore (I'm in Seattle).
Old 07-16-2006, 04:35 PM

Car Info: 1996 impreza 60 trim, 8psi 201 whp, 213 tq 200k mi
its not hard, 8 nuts,and you'll need new gaskets, exhaust gaskets for both heads, and the header-to-cat gasket.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:10 PM

ooh yah the headers are installed and sound sweet!

I didn't know if all the necessary gaskets were included (they weren't) and had to get them from a Subaru dealer (which wouldn't install the headers).
I had them installed at Walt's (don't know if they are national?). They weren't sure if they wanted to install them due to some experiences - they said some Audi headers were 2" short and they had to weld some stuff. But evidentally the Borla headers slipped right on.

The engine sounds happy with a sweet rumble. It is not louder than before - just a better sound quality. The engine runs smooth and doesn't seem to backfire anymore on decelleration.

I will install header wrap and purchased Thermo Tec generation 2 copper at 2" wide. I guess when I change the oil I will cover the header wrap with plastic (thanks for the tip).

I am not getting any check engine lights on my '99 but I've heard some of the newer ones may have some problems due to tightening of the ECU parameter (whatever).
I want to install header wrap to insulate the heat (I might be smelling some things hot) and to probably make the cat work better. The grass will probably burn if you park on it now. I'm very happy with the headers.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:28 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
Originally Posted by AWDimprezaL
+1
Also the people I know how installed them tell me that
the Borla headers fit like a glove.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:38 PM

Car Info: '02 OBS '03 Baja
The latest gen Borla fits great and sounds great. I only get an intermittent CEL in the winter when it gets very chilly out. Borla, stock cat section, Stromung cat-back.

Brian
Old 08-13-2006, 05:28 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Thumbs up +1 Borla

I did choose to Ceramic Coat my headers (rather then wrap - just looks better) due to how close it passes to the oil filter. Combined with an SPT cat-back, my milage climbed along with the performance ~ a happy surprise. Like to 26 mpg in the city even when I hammer it! The last 12 tanks have averaged out almost the same.

Last edited by NW OBS; 08-13-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by AWDimprezaL
Not true across the board. I know this is true for some people, maybe it has something to do with MAP vs MAF. I put a Borla v4 header on my car after having Swaintech coat it (to keep the oil filter cooler) and after about 2 weeks I started getting CELs. They stay away until I run under power up a longer hill or something. I got the PEP resistor mod, and started getting a different CEL just as consistent. I got an RT cat pipe and the mechanical CEL fix and it's been fine for a couple weeks. We will see.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:12 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Not true across the board. I know this is true for some people, maybe it has something to do with MAP vs MAF. I put a Borla v4 header on my car after having Swaintech coat it (to keep the oil filter cooler) and after about 2 weeks I started getting CELs. They stay away until I run under power up a longer hill or something. I got the PEP resistor mod, and started getting a different CEL just as consistent. I got an RT cat pipe and the mechanical CEL fix and it's been fine for a couple weeks. We will see.
I'm not quite sure what year RS you have - but maybe all '99s and '00's are ok and subsequent years got iffier (I hope - for my case at least).

I'm not sure what the emission tests will show when it's time for that? But hey so far so good - and hardened shifter bushings next
Old 08-14-2006, 10:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by 99rsblu
I'm not quite sure what year RS you have - but maybe all '99s and '00's are ok and subsequent years got iffier (I hope - for my case at least).

I'm not sure what the emission tests will show when it's time for that? But hey so far so good - and hardened shifter bushings next
My CEL came on today whilst driving to work. Damn. I pulled the code when I got home and it was the same crap - oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2. ****. Now I have the PEP resistor CEL fix and the mechanical CEL fix. What now?

Quick Reply: more Borla Headers q's