Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Losing Oil????

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 08:10 AM

Car Info: Sedona red RS
Angry Losing Oil????

RS 2.5, 2000

I recently changed my oil on Nov.19th, I checked the oil level when I was done and the stick indicated it was full! I checked the following day to make sure there were no leaks around the filter and drain plug. Yesterday I checked it to just to see the color and if it need any oil added, the dipstick I thought betrayed my eyes', so I pulled it out again, barely a drop on the very bottom of the dipstick, I checked around the filter and drain plug no sign of leaks. I didn't smell any burning oil when I have been driving, this happened the last oil change too, but I was alittle over due for an oil change so I thought that was the reason. I'm taking it to the dealership Friday to get checked what should I ask them to look for concerning this! Also my oil light never came on, which was suprising due to the little amount of oil. Are there any other things I should have them check since my car is at 50,000 miles?
I though maybe my driving style would have caused this loss of oil, I drive aprox. 50 miles round trip to work, I reach top speed of 100mph daily would this have any thing to do with my oil problem, one more thing what is the drive train warranty on these cars? Thnak you for your reply's and suggestions.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:08 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
1) Check it again after it's warmed up. Temps are dropping enough to make a big difference in oil volume.

2) Did you add the missing oil back in? don't let it fall below 1 quart low, you're ok above that though.

3) 5 years, 60k powertrain. I would suggest having the 30k service done by the dealer at 59k, because they will look really hard for anything that should be replaced, which would be under warranty still. Also, 30k services are a good thing to do, either dealer or DIY.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:43 AM

yes I added oil to bring it up to full level and checked at cold and warm tempatures. What is done at the 30k service?
Old 12-13-2002, 06:09 PM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
Oil light comes on with low oil pressure not low level. As long as your oil pump had a suction on your oil in your pan you shouldn't get the light.

When you changed your oil, did you fill up the oil filter or put it on dry? IF you put it on without filling it up, then checked the level without running it for a minute, you will see a full level. Then after you run it, the oil goes to the filter and next time you check you'll be low.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:20 PM

The filter thing was the first thing I thought of, but he said it was full the next day. As far as 30k service, you can see the checklist and full maintenance schedule at www.subaru.com.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:14 PM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
Oh yeah, he did say that.

However, he did say he was overdue for a change. I think it's most likely normal losses. Our motors naturally use oil. They also have no filter or catch can in the PCV system. This causes them to consume more oil also. I know that I have to add oil in between changes. I always have. Also, once it starts to go low it uses more oil faster. I think it's probably because the oil temp goes up when there's less oil which causes more oil vapor to be suspended and get sucked into the intake.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:27 AM

Any way to add a filter or bypass in the PCV to avoid that? Like some other make/model part we can frankenstein in?
Old 12-16-2002, 08:50 AM

Car Info: 99' black Rs, not stock
Yeah I've had the same problem, only when I cange my oil I reset my trip and just leave on and when I hit 1,500 miles I'll check my oil and add any that's needed. Well a couple of weeks ago I checked it and it was 4 quarts low!!! I filled it to full and kept driving. maybe 2 weeks later I checked it again before I did some snow driving and it was a quart low. I use Moble 1 5-30. When it's cold out I usually let it sit for 30 seconds then drive to where I gotta go but untill it's warm I'll drive at like 4 k rpms. I just changed it to 10-30 yesterday and I'm gonna stop warming my car up like that and stop beating the hell out of my car. Hopefully that works
Old 12-16-2002, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Supraru
Yeah I've had the same problem, only when I cange my oil I reset my trip and just leave on and when I hit 1,500 miles I'll check my oil and add any that's needed. Well a couple of weeks ago I checked it and it was 4 quarts low!!! I filled it to full and kept driving. maybe 2 weeks later I checked it again before I did some snow driving and it was a quart low. I use Moble 1 5-30. When it's cold out I usually let it sit for 30 seconds then drive to where I gotta go but untill it's warm I'll drive at like 4 k rpms. I just changed it to 10-30 yesterday and I'm gonna stop warming my car up like that and stop beating the hell out of my car. Hopefully that works
Uh... yeah. Your motor is dead. It only holds 4+ quarts, so you were running on less than half a quart. Just rebuild it now and save yourself the anguish of watching it die a slow, horrible death. In the meantime, try switching to regular oil instead of synthetic. The larger molecules might slow down the rate of leakage/consumption. Also, let it idle naturally for maybe 2 or 3 minutes in the morning and then drive normal. My 2.5 never needs more than 3 or 4 blocks to warm up enough to use the heater, and revving it up before it really gets the oil flowing is probably why you are using so much oil. Just get in and turn the key, and by the time you have buckled up, changed the station, looked for CELs, and put it in gear, you can drive at low RPMs with no worries. I guess I am right on this since I have almost exactly 30k on my '01 and I use maybe half a quart every 3k, using Mobil 5-30 synthetic or Redline 5-30.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:51 AM

Dealership said......

By the way I was using castrol gtx non sythetic 10w30.
Anyways I took it in to the dealership, they said qoute and have documented " Subaru say's it is normal to lose about a court of oil every 2,000-3,000 miles." Is this true! They were real short with me and I asked about a noise I hear while shifting, they said they looked and found nothing, the guy said" well it could cost me a small fortune just to find out where the noise is coming from," I was so mad when I left, they basicly told me I was lying and that I didn't know what I was talking about! Then I had then cut me a key cuz I lost mine and only had the valet, so they made a copy of the valet instead of the normal key! Then I don't know why I even bothered but I asked how much to install cams, a whopping $800-$900, that just sounds high, what is an average price for cam install with gaskets or seals needed?
Old 12-17-2002, 08:50 PM

Re: Dealership said......

Originally posted by JAYFRESSH
By the way I was using castrol gtx non sythetic 10w30.
Anyways I took it in to the dealership, they said qoute and have documented " Subaru say's it is normal to lose about a court of oil every 2,000-3,000 miles." Is this true! They were real short with me and I asked about a noise I hear while shifting, they said they looked and found nothing, the guy said" well it could cost me a small fortune just to find out where the noise is coming from," I was so mad when I left, they basicly told me I was lying and that I didn't know what I was talking about! Then I had then cut me a key cuz I lost mine and only had the valet, so they made a copy of the valet instead of the normal key! Then I don't know why I even bothered but I asked how much to install cams, a whopping $800-$900, that just sounds high, what is an average price for cam install with gaskets or seals needed?
Lots of questions, I'll try to be brief with answers.

Yes, some oil loss is normal as your boxer motor gets older. It's just the price you pay for the torque from the configuration. What they're telling you is a little high, but probably just to cover their collective asses.

You'll have to be very specific about the noise or demonstrate it to a tech (not a service writer) on a demo drive before they will chase a gremlin like that. Dealers are very leary of that kind of thing, because they will have to spend dozens of hours to troubleshoot, still may not find the cause, and always end up with a very pissed off customer. Pissing you off for free is a lot better business than pissing you off with a $2,000 repair bill.

The key thing, well, that's your fault if you gave them the valet to copy. They just put it in a little machine that duplicates it. Get it cut by the VIN next time and you'll get the ignition/door key.

The cam price is pretty standard. Dealers go by a book that basically says how many hours a job takes, and that's what it costs no matter how long it actually takes the mechanic to do (this makes good mechanics very rich). So, your only way to cut down the price is to talk them into a discount on the labor rate (good luck) or find an independent shop you trust who may be a little cheaper. Either way it won't be cheap.