Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

I need input on TWE headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 12:52 AM

Car Info: '05 Saabaru 92x Aero
I need input on TWE headers

Ok so i'm thinking about getting the TWE headers fairly soon. thing is that i can only afford the headers alone right now and not the hi-flow cat. Is it recommended that i get both the cat and headers at the same time? what kind of performance will i get out of only the headers? Will the stock cat defeat the purpose of even getting headers??? ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!
Old 12-22-2003, 12:23 PM

Car Info: 2002 2.5rs
in my own opinion the techworkseng.com headers have a better design. they will definitely be beneficial to your car even without significant modifications. granted the gains will be more so with a greater modified car, but still worth getting!!
Old 12-22-2003, 12:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 RS, Subrosa Letum
Haven't you heard?
Cobb has released their header for sale and it is a masterpeice!
They claim a 20ft/lb increase in torque @ 4,000RPM over stock. That is amazing...........................I M O!!!!
Old 12-22-2003, 12:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 RS, Subrosa Letum
Ok, to edit last post:
It is actually stated @ 17+ ft/lbs over stock but its down low in the rev range and THAT is where it counts for a street car.

IMO
Old 12-22-2003, 12:55 PM

Car Info: 2002 2.5rs
that is impressive!! wow!!
Old 12-25-2003, 10:21 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Re: It will...

Originally posted by Rallysportz
Don't get headers UNLESS you will be getting a better cat with them or already have one. If you add flow somewhere, you need to compensate anywhere else the flow will potentially be going. Sure you'll get some decent gains and better sound but you will need to spend another $50-75 on a high flow canister later plus the couple hundred to get it all taken apart and rebuilt again. I recommend the MRT headers which come with a high flow cat built into them so it will be strong and last a long time with proper care. These don't mate up to any catback system made for Subaru so you would need a custom pipe made or buy the full exhaust from MRT- about $800, almost the same price for the TWEs alone, no cat or anything. IMO these have a better design than the TWEs anyway, as far as a free flowing system goes. TWE are nice but not really worth it unless you've got $$ comin out the A$$ and have already done everything else possible to you engine. They are made for full blown applications, not as just an easy power mod.

My $.02

Yes!

IMHO MRT headers is the way to go. They just make so much power for the money. Get a muffler shop to make you a midpipe, and then finish it all off with the axleback of your choice.

-Gagan
Old 12-28-2003, 06:36 AM

Car Info: 2002 Black RS
If i got BORLA headers would it be possible to have a local shop custom make me some sort of cat that would match up with my COBB exhaust? Cause I don't think the ralli-tech hi-flo cat will match up and i hear its kinda sh*ty anyway...
Thnx
Old 12-28-2003, 11:55 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
honestly the TWE headers are the best out there for me personally since they will work if you decide to go turbo. Cobb's is nice, but I'd have to ditch their headers once I got a turbo kit. For me its probably going to be TWE headers with a race pipe.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:21 PM

I kno BORLA's dont make the most power but they have a real nice sound (from what i hear) and are a lot less $ then the TWE's and especially the COBB. But race pipe? You mean have a local shop custom weld it or would that be possible.
Thnx again

o and i def. do not plan on going turbo. I'm selling the car before too long and this is probably the last step performance wise...
Old 12-28-2003, 12:35 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
no you can get a catless pipe straight from TWE.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:09 PM

DOOME.Q & Defiantguy:

Would this pipe fit the set-up i'm looking at?? (BORLA header and COBB exhaust)

Thnx for all ur help....

Quick Reply: I need input on TWE headers