Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Help with P0304 piston misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 07:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by psoper
I seem to have reduced the frequency of my misfire codes by using lots of fuel injector cleaner, but an extra $5 per tankful is going to get boring......
Have you tried running some Subaru Top Engine Cleaner or Seafoam thru your engine? I did that on my '03 WRX and it fixed a hesitation and detonation issue. It's worth a shot. Gonna do it on my RS as well.

I want to adjust my valves, but I need to find a shop manual for my car.

Just got back from a 1500 mile trip to Phoenix and back. The car ran great but threw our favourite CEL on Sunday morning - same deal. Seemed to use a little oil travelling between 80-110mph for 1500m. Otherwise it did great.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:00 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by scoobie555
if it is on cold starts (possibly) check ur coolant temp sens res and volt.
Yep - ONLY on cold starts. I can start the car 10-12 times a day running errands and it will never do it. I need to get a shop manual for my car. I checked all the electrical connections on my engine that I could find though, and they all look good.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Yep - ONLY on cold starts. I can start the car 10-12 times a day running errands and it will never do it. I need to get a shop manual for my car. I checked all the electrical connections on my engine that I could find though, and they all look good.
adjusting the valves especially the cyl 4 exhaust valve will fix ur prob guarenteed. get some feeler gauges all intake valves are .20mm +/-.2, exhaust are .25mm+/-.2 loosen locking nut turn adjusting screw with feeler gauge installed. torqe locking nut 7 in/lbs and move on. each cyl needs to be on tdc compression. i would bet money ur cyl 4 exhaust rocker lash has zero clearence. put it to spec and whala.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:42 PM
VIP Member

adjusting the valves especially the cyl 4 exhaust valve will fix ur prob guarenteed. get some feeler gauges all intake valves are .20mm +/-.2, exhaust are .25mm+/-.2 loosen locking nut turn adjusting screw with feeler gauge installed. torqe locking nut 7 in/lbs and move on. each cyl needs to be on tdc compression. i would bet money ur cyl 4 exhaust rocker lash has zero clearence. put it to spec and whala.
I will give this a try, but I want to get the manual first for simple things like getting to TDC, whether to do this hot or cold, etc. I have done this on a few cars and it's not a big deal, so this shouldn't be either.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:37 AM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT Ltd, 2001 Outback LL Bean
Wow, I REALLY need to come to this site more often. Last post in May... sheesh, shame on me.

Car's been CEL free for quite a while. But, it's summer.... and it's usually like that in summer. At least traditionally.

Sounds like maybe I ought to try a valve adjustment, eh?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:42 PM
VIP Member

Yeah.. I moved, just got my car from shipping last week. After I Seafoamed the engine, I was driving along and the CEL just went off. Then it came on again on the day I picked it up. Instead of CA 91 oct, now I am running good quality 92 oct (in Hawaii) so I was hoping that would make a difference. The CEL went off two days ago, then came on again yesterday morning. Just got to unpack my laptop and do the usual I guess. Valve adjustment is probably next for me, and I will report my findings. I need to get a manual sorted, and then...

I will let ya know.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Yeah.. I moved, just got my car from shipping last week. After I Seafoamed the engine, I was driving along and the CEL just went off. Then it came on again on the day I picked it up. Instead of CA 91 oct, now I am running good quality 92 oct (in Hawaii) so I was hoping that would make a difference. The CEL went off two days ago, then came on again yesterday morning. Just got to unpack my laptop and do the usual I guess. Valve adjustment is probably next for me, and I will report my findings. I need to get a manual sorted, and then...

I will let ya know.
finding TDC comp. is easy take your plugs out put ur finger in the plug hole turn engine over with a socket wrench from the power sterring pump pully bolt. when air pushes ur finger off stick pencil or somthing that wont do any damage continue to turn engine slightly until the pencil stopes moving outward that is tdc comp.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:40 PM
VIP Member

finding TDC comp. is easy take your plugs out put ur finger in the plug hole turn engine over with a socket wrench from the power sterring pump pully bolt. when air pushes ur finger off stick pencil or somthing that wont do any damage continue to turn engine slightly until the pencil stopes moving outward that is tdc comp.
That makes sense. However, you can also just pull off the cam cover and look at the mark on the cam sprocket. Gonna do this as soon as I can, but I need a few things like gaskets and seals that need to be replaced.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:58 AM
VIP Member

OK so the weird thing is, since I put on my coated Borla header, my CEL went off by itself and has not come back on.

Here's a thread about the header:

https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-non-turbo-all-non-turbo-imprezas-61/those-asked-about-swaintech-header-coating-pics-106572/
Old 10-26-2005, 05:44 AM

Bumping this.

No I didn't do a valve adjustment yet.... but....

CEL stayed off all summer, as usual, but reared its ugly head the other day. Currently it's off, but it'll be back.
Maybe I'll try the adjustment, who knows, it could work.....

=S2=
Old 10-26-2005, 01:24 PM

im tell'n u the valave adjust will do the trick. i had the code for a long time and checked everything lk/dn, comp test, power balance, cheked all emissions on a smog scope, all fluid pressures. valve adjust is what fixed it something u should do anyway sinse theyre not hydrolic.

Originally Posted by Siper2
Bumping this.

No I didn't do a valve adjustment yet.... but....

CEL stayed off all summer, as usual, but reared its ugly head the other day. Currently it's off, but it'll be back.
Maybe I'll try the adjustment, who knows, it could work.....

=S2=
Old 10-26-2005, 05:47 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
I ignored mine for about a year and wound up with a burnt valve, it might cost a bit to get the valves adjusted, but I bet it's a lot cheaper than having to get your motor rebuilt.....
Old 10-27-2005, 04:37 AM

Yeah I'll probably have the dealership do it. I got them regularly adjusted up through the 50-60K mark, I forget exactly. Not since then, though....

Don't know what it used to cost, I usually had them do it along with the major services, and I had stuff done at all different dealerships.

=S2=
Old 05-03-2006, 08:38 AM
VIP Member

When are you supposed to adjust the valves? You got the mregularly adjusted up to 60k miles? I thought they weren't supposed to even be touched till like 90-100k?

My CELs showed up exactly right after the flywheel install, so I am pretty sure that's the problem on my car. I will have the valves checked as soon as I can either way, just don't have the money right now and was planning on lumping it in with the timing belt job in around 20k miles. Mine has 70k now.