Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Harmonic dampener?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 05:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Wow I posted a while ago that we don't have harmonic balancers and have forged cranks, but everyone acts like no one has ever said this before.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by keirnna
Wow I posted a while ago that we don't have harmonic balancers and have forged cranks, but everyone acts like no one has ever said this before.
i think even if you post information people dont read it / dont believe it.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Pretty much.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:14 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza coup, green, 5speed 1.8l awd
Originally Posted by Jejunum
ahh damnit! subaru has directly responded to this question and said there is no harmonic dampener. there are no first order vibrations because of the boxer engine setup. you may notice increased noise and vibration with a lightweight pulley however simply because there is less mass =less dampening.
your right

http://www.dalemfg.com/harmonicbalancer_001.htm
http://www.machv.com/tip11cranpul.html

if you have look at a real harmonic dampener you will know the crank pulley is not one
read the above link for what it does and think about why a suby crank doesnt need one because it is very short and it would be very difficult to twist

and with that said you can damage the front main bearing from the light weight of the pulley but that is only if you have a 9.5 or lighter flywheel and even then it takes thousands of miles to really wear the bearing to the point where it must be replaced
Old 05-14-2005, 12:35 AM

heres what i have to add, i am sorry that i did not have tome to read all of the posts (its 2:30 am so please give me a break).

i am runnign a UR underdrive pulley curently on my NA 2.2l impreze the underdrive pulley is smaller and ALOT lighter then the stock pulley. i have seen no bad side affects of this mod so far (3k+ miles) however i have noticed the enigne rev alittle faster, and i get increased gas milege (3-4MPG). this is obviously due to the less rotational mass. which leads into the battery rechargin situation. i am runnign 85W headlights, along with a 1000W RMS amp. with all of this i have not even seen a dim in my lights, or a bump in my revs. so i think the only way for the battery to die completely on you is if your in stop, stop, stop, go traffic w/ all your accessories blastin. since then your engien isnt turnign enough to recharge the battery enough fro the power you are using.

now to the harmonic balancer. this is a rubber insert which is in the crankshaft pulley. it lies between the center part of the pulley which goes around your crank, and the outer part on which the belt rests. this is not on every subie so you have to inspect yours. the purpose of this rubber bushing is to absorb the vibrations, bumps, and wobbles the crank pulley experience from driving the belts. ( i belive that this has very little to do with sound. what honestly ont eh pulley will make sound?) also this rubber busing can compensate fro any knicks, scratches or off balance that the outer edge of your crank pulley may have.

since you are thinking f replacing this pulley w/ a high quality name brnad after market peice of equipment you should have no probs since the HIGH QUALITY part shoudl be machined to spec, and have a near perfect rotation to it. (no wobble, no play). this is why i bought mine from a reputale company and not an ebay special.

there may be some more info on this in repair manuals, like haynes or chilton.

P.S. my dads legacy (w/ harmonic stabalizer) had the crank pulley fall off at approx 250,000miles. the pulley wobbled it self loose and popped off. since the only improtant thing that it runs is the alternator it was no biggie. so just cause you have a stablaizer doesnt mean it works lol.