Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Gutted Cat???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 11:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 96 Impreza L Sedan
Gutted Cat???

I have a 96 impreza N/A. How many cats do I have underneath, and would it do me any good to "gut" them?? Want more power or sound, but don't wanna spend the dough right now.
Thanks,
Cody
Old 04-22-2003, 12:13 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza L 2.2
Question To Gut or Not to Gut

When most people talk about catalytic converters and adding performance, they plan to gut or remove them. First this is illegal, and second it can create harmful turbulence in your exhaust, which can disrupt pulse and cancel out scavenging, therefore, increasing backpressure. You can do what you want, and there are many different points of veiw on the subject. I would go for the high flow cat. that is stainless or aluminized. I don't know if you have to take emissions test in Idaho but if you remove your cat(s) I doubt very seriously you will pass the test.

I have two catalytic converters on my 98 2.2L. Also, if you gut your cat(s) you will more than likely get a Check Engine Light. If you are that desperate I would just replace the exhaust pipe from just after the 2nd catalytic converter back, to hell with a muffler . After all, you are after sound, right? Around here I think aluminized exhaust tubing (2.25") is $4-7 a foot and you will need around 7 ft, maybe 8 ft. since you aren't running a muffler. This will definetely give you sound, and probably a headache. Save up, do it once, and do it right is my opinion.

-Charles-
Old 04-22-2003, 02:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 96 Impreza L Sedan
In idaho we don't have emissions, so I don't have to worry about not having any cats. But thanks for the input guys!
Cody
Old 04-26-2003, 10:00 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza coup, green, 5speed 1.8l awd
i gutted my cats about 2 weeks ago and it is alittle louder and slight gain in power. Even with the stock muffler you can now hear the individual exhaust pulses. But as I look back on doing this it was alot of cussing and swearing to get them out and back in because you will most likely need to grind off your shrouding at the headers to get a impact wrench on bolts for the first cat and will need to get the donut for mid pipe and the nuts and bolts too because you WILL break them off trying to loosen them but once it was off it was ease but I would want to done it again.

So just get a cheater pipe for the muffler and be done with it and than when you have the money do the whole system at once.

(I did start it up with cat gutted and no muffler in a building and it was not that loud or it didnt seem that loud to me hehe!)