Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Ebay Intake vs Stock Intake Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 03:41 PM

Ebay Intake vs Stock Intake Dyno Results

Hello all,

mi_cistemz_loudr (Hell all,

mi_cistemz_loudr (of NASIOC), previously sent me his Ebay intake to dyno test on my car. I received it and completed dyno testing it against my stock intake and my Minnam Intake. I'm ONLY posting up stock vs Ebay intake since this post isn't about my Minnam intake. Let's cut to the chase.

Car: 1997 2.2ltr Subaru Outback Sport Wagon (AWD/Auto)

Current mods:
Unorthodox underdriven pulley
2.25" cat back exhaust/Dual Remus Muffler

Using 89 octane gas. Tire pressures are good. I did 4 runs a piece. 2 runs were done at a time and the ECU unplugged until intake temps dropped below 89F (measured by a laser temp probe). Once temps were cool enough, ECU was plugged back in. HP/TQ figures used are the 2nd highest of the two most consistent runs.

*I need to pick up my wife shortly so I'm posting this up quickly*

Here is a horsepower graph showing the Ebay intake vs the stock intake in 3rd gear.

*Note at 4800rpm, the Ebay intake makes 94.88whp vs the stock intakes 84.88whp. A full 10whp difference in some areas on a 2.2ltr engine.

Let's look at the torque curve.

At the same rpm point, the Ebay intake makes 103.33lb-ft of torque vs the stock intake 92.43lb-ft of torque. That's a 10.9lb-ft of torque increase. Not bad at all.

Here's the breakdown of how the Ebay intake is from the bottom of 1st gear to the top of 3rd gear.

Here's a pic of the owner of the Ebay intake on how it would look in your engine bay.

Gains could possibly be more on the bigger displacemented 2.5RS. So there you have it. I have to run out to pick up my wife. Questions and comments are welcome. Ebay intakes kick ****! Stop wasting your hard earned $$$ on Cobb and other really expensive intakes. I've been saying this all along.

This also disproves the 'theory' that a Torque Box is needed. My Impreza has that container/box thingamajigga attached to the intake. With the Ebay straight pipe, torque was gained tremendously as you can tell., previously sent me his Ebay intake to dyno test on my car. I received it and completed dyno testing it against my stock intake and my Minnam Intake. I'm ONLY posting up stock vs Ebay intake since this post isn't about my Minnam intake.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 01-28-2005 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:26 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
Cool, now I can rest assured that my intake is NOT counter-productive.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:41 PM

how much u pay for it?
Old 01-29-2005, 01:34 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by scoobsport98
Cool, now I can rest assured that my intake is NOT counter-productive.
Actually no... every intake on a MAF car can have different results. CAN. Yours might match his results, and you could also very well be losing power. You can't know which for sure unless you dyno test.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:16 PM

Car Info: 96' Impreza GM4
All the Ebay intakes are cheap but have something like $29 shipping...damn.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:48 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Actually no... every intake on a MAF car can have different results. CAN. Yours might match his results, and you could also very well be losing power. You can't know which for sure unless you dyno test.

If mine is the same shape and function, what should be different? What subtle differnces are you referring to that would cause one to help and a similar one not to? Are you talking about differnt engine codes, or other mods (headers, cat, exhaust)? I'd really like to know this. If you like, you can see my intake in the link below. (I know I paid about 3 or 4 times what an Ebay intake costs, I just wanted to avoid the stigma.)

Originally Posted by ejicon
Short Rams are cool, but I'm skeptical about the whole deal of having a huge cone filters exposed in the engine like that. Wouldn't it just be sucking up hot air vs a CAI intake which takes nice cool air from outside the engine bay. Imagine the increase than. I think I would pay the extra +150 plus for CAI. I'm just kidding.. $300 is a lot.
I also thought about this, and to address the issue I fabbed a fiberglass heat-shield that channels in the air from the fender while reducing exposure to the engine heat. (at least I hope) This has the effect of reducing the temp at the filter and increasing the pressure, both good things.

I was so proud of it I made it's own thread: https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...om+heat+shield
Old 03-13-2005, 09:35 AM

Speculation is that the plastic plenum isn't meanto to increase the engine's power or torque, it's to improve throttle response as the primary plenum is very small. When the throttle is abruptly opened, the air demand cannot be supplied by the small volume primary plenum.

My question to someone using an intake without the secondary plenum is how is the throttle response compared to stock? Have you watched AFR to see if there's an excessively rich spot during abrupt throttle opening, something more than with the stock system (there should always be some richening in throttle opening)?

I'm not doubting the power gain, but if it's at a driveability cost, it might make some people think twice.

Last edited by redsport; 03-13-2005 at 09:37 AM.