Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Cheap intake for 04 RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 08:40 PM
TVA

Car Info: Bugeye
I haven't gotten the K&N yet as its going to be a 3 day special order item for my car. Go figure. So I am running the stock paper and I'll update on the noise differance when I get the K&N in there. Did you notice a differance between the paper and the K&N? I like the fact that it has a lifetime warrentee but how do you feel about its effectiveness for increase in flow? I do however love the change in induction note.

TVA
Old 08-07-2003, 02:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 2.5RS pacifica blue with black Tarmacs
I had to special order my filter too. There is definitely a flow increase, but I haven't seen it yet on this car because I'm still babying her. I don't plan on really opening her up till I get Mobil 1 in her. I did notice a difference on a Celica All-Trac turbo I had a while back. I've also read reports that they don't filter as well as paper or foam. I think it's B.S. personally. A friend of mine turned me onto K&N about 6 years ago. I was having trouble keeping fine silt out of my carb when I fourwheeled. It seemed to go right through the paper filter, then he suggested a K&N and low & behold no more silt problem. So now I swear by 'em. I've heard foam elements filter well, but at the cost of alot of air resistance. Amsoil supposedly makes a filter that's better, but the only testing done that I could find has been by Amsoil (not exactly impartial). Anyway this is my long-winded way of saying I like K&N filters.

but if you think that's bad you don't even want to ask me about oil or octane.

Last edited by SubySal; 08-07-2003 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:45 PM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
dude get the universal, 3" k&n filter the one like the cone filter, i forget the code, but it would look awsome on it, actually u would not see it in the fender wall.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:03 PM
VIP Member

What filter are you talking about? Also how would you get it in the fenderwell? If it would go on the end of the intake then I could get rid of the whole airbox behind the throttle body. That would be cool.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:40 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Putting the cone in the fender is a huge pain in the ****, and doesn't help flow vs. putting a drop-in panel K&N in the airbox. Sal, you want to keep that airbox, it's a large part of why the car has such great low-end torque and throttle response.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:35 PM
VIP Member

Gotcha, Thanks Ban Suvs. I didn't plan on changing it anytime soon. I just paid $44 for the drop-in and I wanna get some use out of it. It does raise a question though. Does that mean intakes like the one from Cobb actually take away some of the low end power? I could be mistaken, but I think it replaces the whole stock intake right to the throttle body.

...and I kinda thought the cone filter install would be a royal pain too, but it never hurts to ask.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:59 PM

The Cobb is the exception to the rule. They managed to make theirs make power across the entire rev band without it, I don't know exactly how. I think it's mainly the shape of the inline filter. Any other intake will reduce torque if it removes the airbox though.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:47 PM

Has anyone tried the ITG panel filter? I was thinking of getting one, unless the K&N is better. I also plan on getting the PDM Racing intake, since I'm not much of a craftsman.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:04 AM
TVA

Car Info: Bugeye
I'm curious how COBB gets around having a plenum of air but keeping the low end torque that our motor is famous for. Also in regards to my previous post in this thread, I just got my Magnaflow straight through muffler with a 3 1/2" outlist and custom 2 1/4" piping cat back and it is loud. Throaty, deep and sexy as hell, but loud. So I likely won't be able to comment on the change of induction noise between the paper element and the K&N. Love the exhaust though...

TVA
Old 08-08-2003, 05:24 AM
VIP Member

I want to get a new exhaust as well. I'm saving up for the Cobb stage 2 power package. I figure if my engine growls now with the Cobb setup it should ROAR!
Old 08-08-2003, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by mule2k
Has anyone tried the ITG panel filter? I was thinking of getting one, unless the K&N is better. I also plan on getting the PDM Racing intake, since I'm not much of a craftsman.
Thumbs up for the PDM. I would say that it is a better value than the Cobb, even if it doesn't make quite as much power. 75-80% of what the Cobb does for like 25% of the cost

Originally posted by TVA
I'm curious how COBB gets around having a plenum of air but keeping the low end torque that our motor is famous for. Also in regards to my previous post in this thread, I just got my Magnaflow straight through muffler with a 3 1/2" outlist and custom 2 1/4" piping cat back and it is loud. Throaty, deep and sexy as hell, but loud. So I likely won't be able to comment on the change of induction noise between the paper element and the K&N. Love the exhaust though...

TVA
I don't like driving my car at night now because of the exhaust volume. It's technically legal, but gets a lot of attention in quiet areas. If it's worrying you, adding a resonator will tone it down a little without changing the sound. As for the Cobb- I dunno. Gotta know a whole lot about aerodynamics to really explain it. I think I understand how it works on a basic level, but not well enough to explain it.

Originally posted by SubySal
I want to get a new exhaust as well. I'm saving up for the Cobb stage 2 power package. I figure if my engine growls now with the Cobb setup it should ROAR!
It will. I recommend a resonator with it, as I wrote above. You could duplicate the results of the Cobb Stage II with less expense. It's their intake that's really trick, the rest is similar to a lot of things power-wise. Quality is top-notch though.

Originally posted by j.reed
I got a Cobb so I can say 'nice airbox n00b!' to people :P
Really? I'd have gotten it for the 8 horsepower gains and better throttle response.

Quick Reply: Cheap intake for 04 RS