Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Cheap intake for 04 RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 05:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 2.5RS pacifica blue with black Tarmacs
I've only gotten it up to about 5300. I'm waiting to switch to Mobil 1 before I really cut loose, but so far I think it pulls pretty good. I haven't noticed any significant drop off in acceleration at higher RPMs. Also I had a 01 Toyota Corolla before this so after that I may think anything is fast.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:41 AM
TVA

Car Info: Bugeye
Originally posted by SubySal
from that point I used an 11 3/8" piece of pipe to connect the other side of the 60 deg
I'm sorry I didn't understand what your refering to with "an 11 3/8" piece" Could you please explain? I'm considering trying to recreate your intake. Thanks Sal!

TVA
Old 07-31-2003, 06:21 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Length=11 3/8".
Old 07-31-2003, 06:22 PM

I've only gotten it up to about 5300. I'm waiting to switch to Mobil 1 before I really cut loose, but so far I think it pulls pretty good. I haven't noticed any significant drop off in acceleration at higher RPMs. Also I had a 01 Toyota Corolla before this so after that I may think anything is fast.
You will notice a dropoff after 53-5400 rpm. The EJ25 just isn't meant to be a high end motor from the factory.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:11 PM
VIP Member

Ban Suv's is right, I meant to say the length I cut the pipe to is 11 3/8". I also wanted to say that these measurements may differ slightly from car to car and you may want to assemble the intake w/o glue first to see how everything fits. I left my pieces of pipe long then trimmed them a little at a time till they fitted the way I wanted them to. Essentially once you use that glue it will make the whole thing one piece. The glue actually melts the pieces together at the same time it glues them. It makes for a very strong joint, but at the it can never be separated. Sorry about the breakdown in communication. I wish I could've put a pic up with all the dimensions, but unfortuntely I don't have the program to do it. Still I think it would've made it alot easier to duplicate the intake.

Last edited by SubySal; 07-31-2003 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:30 PM
VIP Member

I thought of something else too. When you dry fit the intake be sure to mark the angles of the pipe so they can be glued together at the same angles. I used a grease pencil, but anything will work. All you need to do is draw a line from the elbow down onto the pipe I also drew a line going around the pipe to show how far it goes into the elbow. Like this; notice the white lines that cross at the joint. This will let you keep your angle and depth when you glue the pieces together.
Attached Thumbnails Cheap intake for 04 RS-intake-cut-lines.jpg  
Old 07-31-2003, 07:42 PM
VIP Member

I know the 2.5 isn't a high revver, but I'd take it over any vtec or vvti motor anyday it has so much more usable torque at lower RPM which is where I spend most of my time unfortunetly. I got so tired of redlining my 01 Toyota Corolla to get any power out of it. I'm sooo glad to be rid of it. As far as my Suby goes I want to get a full Cobb exhaust on it and as budget permits maybe a turbo which won't be for a while. The latter I'm still not sure about because going that far I may move up to a ReX, but we'll see, for now I'm perfectly happy see
Old 07-31-2003, 08:48 PM

I know the 2.5 isn't a high revver, but I'd take it over any vtec or vvti motor anyday it has so much more usable torque at lower RPM which is where I spend most of my time unfortunetly. I got so tired of redlining my 01 Toyota Corolla to get any power out of it. I'm sooo glad to be rid of it. As far as my Suby goes I want to get a full Cobb exhaust on it and as budget permits maybe a turbo which won't be for a while. The latter I'm still not sure about because going that far I may move up to a ReX, but we'll see, for now I'm perfectly happy see
Old 08-05-2003, 11:58 AM
TVA

Thanks for your detailed and complete answer Sal. I'll post up my results once I pick up the parts and give it a shot. I'm also going to pick up a K&N drop in while I'm in that neighborhood. Once again thanks for the quick and informative respose.

TVA
Old 08-05-2003, 01:56 PM
VIP Member

Your welcome, Good Luck
Old 08-05-2003, 06:25 PM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
hey i went into home desperate today and askedfor that plastc piupe, and they jut looked at me like i was nuts, dude you must have a larger store there.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:11 AM

It was probably just an uninformed employee. Next time ask for a department manager.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:24 AM
VIP Member

Uniformed. That's a nice way to put it. I used to work there and ran into my share of uniformed employees. Anyway the ABS is pretty easy to find once you find the plumbing section the plastic pipe isle tends to stick out. Next time ask for PVC and the ABS should be merchandised right next to it. It's not used nearly as much as PVC so employees may be unaware of its existence.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:47 PM
TVA

I had a hell of a time finding the ABS in our local hardware store, but I finally found it. I got that intake together and put in and I must say that I noticed a nice almost resonated sound at WOT and a noticable increase in breathability near the top end of the RPM range. I'll get pictures up soon. I attached the intake to the airbox with a 2"-2" rubber connecter and hose clamps. From the rubber was a 2"-3" reducer attached directly to the 60 degree elbow with a 2 1/2" piece of 3" pipe. From the 60 degree went a roughly 11 1/4" piece of 3" and then a 22.5 degree elbow. On the other side of the 22.5 was a 3" piece of 3" into the fenderwell. I used a 1" by 1/2" L joint to connect the elbow to the fenderwell. I had a bit of a time getting the exact angles right as it pushed my airbox up slightly with the rubber connector attached, but it ended up working out well. Thanks for the idea Sal. Great cheap mod!

TVA
Old 08-06-2003, 08:10 PM
VIP Member

Sorry the ABS was hard to find, but I'm glad it worked out for ya. I was curious are you using a stock paper filter with the intake or did you already switch to a K&N. I noticed with the stock filter the intake note is deep, but can really only be heard under heavy acceleration above 3000 RPM. However I just dropped in a K&N and though the note isn't as deep it can be heard at lower RPM's. I'm not sure what that means, but I thought I'd mention it. Either way it definitely sounds meaner, don't ya think?

Last edited by SubySal; 08-06-2003 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Cheap intake for 04 RS