Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Car won't start, Help Required!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 06:41 PM
RALYRCR

Car Info: 00GC8WRX/Conversion / 93 2.5Wgn(RIP) / 98 Forester
Unhappy Car won't start, Help Required!!

Hello All,

I have a problem.

My car will not start. After spending weeks changing out everything in my 93L wagon, I cannot get the engine to fire up.

I changed out everything (Full Driveline to a 00 RS, wiring & Interior from a 99 OBS, and engine from my 00 RS/WRX conversion). Everything was replaced.

All electronics work in the car (Starter, lights, A/C, radio...ect) I have fuel and I have checked and do get spark. Completed a compression test and with the engine cold I get compression between 161 to 167 psi (MAX) from all cylinders.....timing marks on crank and cams are spot on.

Plugged in an OBD-II Scan tool and all reading show good EXCEPT...... Engine Speed reads at 25 RPM (Engine is off, with only ignition on), and Ignition Timing Advance is reading at - 65 degrees.....what the......

This is what I have done so far in troubleshooting:

1. Swapped ECU......no change
2. Swapped Coil pack....no change\
3. Even Replaced Main Harness (Originally had a 00 Manual Forester harness.....now using a 99 Manual OBS harness, modified to take the 2.5L motor) NO CHANGE BETWEEN HARNESSES!
4. Switched wires between pos/neg on crank sensor....with only change in that when I try starting.....instead of showing the change of RPM....it stays at 25 RPM (NOTE: RPM will rise when starter motor turns over the engine...but will go back to 25 RPM when it stops.) Also swapped between crank and cam sensors (all at B135 ECU Connector) No fix......all back to original pin locations.

So now I am out of idea's.....I have Fuel, Spark (Timing stays at - 65 degrees no matter what I do), Compression, and Air, but the engine will NOT FIRE. Also I keep the battery charged with a charger so that it is full every time I try something.....so it is not a low voltage issue.

PLEASE HELP!!

EddyL.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:06 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Maybe there is something wrong with your knock sensor and/or timing advance tables. If it's pulling 65 degrees of timing, maybe it thinks it's getting super humungous horrible detonation on every combustion event?
Old 08-31-2003, 07:37 PM
RALYRCR

Not sure....only thing is the car will not even start in the first place. It doesn't even act like it is going to start....like there is no spark......but there is.....just - 65 degrees (or -75 degrees as a normal indication is +10 degrees).

Don't know how to check if the sensor is working.....don't have a )-Scope to verify wave forms.

EddyL.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:31 AM

Car Info: I've had cars...BRZ next
Are you sure the timing belt has not "skipped a tooth or two"? This is easier to do than it should be on the manual cars. You will have to remove the timing belt covers to check this...I know, its a PITA

Last edited by ravent; 09-27-2003 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:12 PM
RALYRCR

Timing was ok.....

Actually I got the car started......crossed some fuel lines (Between gas tank and the lines to the front). Stupid on my part....should have checked how my RS was connected.

I guess thats what you get when you swap out EVERYTHING.

Thanks for your help anyways.....

Also....Randy, I sent you a few e-mails but I am not sure you got them. I'll try calling you tomorrow if I get some time.

Cheers

EddyL.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:29 PM
RALYRCR

No.....I crossed fuel lines where they come from the tank and then heads up to the front of the car. Simple mistake as Subaru has them crossed between the three hoses. I swapped them around and all was well......well sort of Most of the car is working as it should (i.e mechanical)...got a few details still left to sort out....but nothing from keeping the car from being driven....actually been driving it since the first of September.

Thanks All.....thankfully this was a simple problem and not damage inducing. It did dump some fuel in the oil, but I changed it twice before starting the car, and then again after it started and ran for a few minutes, and then again after about 100 miles.

EddyL

Last edited by EddyRS; 10-18-2003 at 01:34 PM.