Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

To buy a 2.5i, or not to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 12:14 PM

Car Info: Scooby
To buy a 2.5i, or not to buy.

I've been in the market for a newer car since last August. I have always been into the STi, but it's always been way outta my price range. To be honest, I looked at the WRX, but it just doesn't appeal to me much. Then the other day I just happen to come across the 2007 2.5i, and I have to say I was kind of blown away. It has that nice look, and you can even get a Special Edition package adding some goodies, and the car is still only around $20,000 brand new.

Now here's the thing, originally I was very deep into getting a 2004 Cobra. I like a car with some power, but most important to me, is the ability to add to the car over time. I've found modding to be a lot of fun. The Cobra has plenty of capabilities in that realm, but it lacks one thing which this current winter storm has reminded me of: Bad weather driveability.

I see when most folks ask about tuning or modifying their 2.5i, the usualy reply is: "You should trade in for a WRX". The thing for me is, I just don't see how you can beat the price on this brand new 2.5i. I also like the smooth sleeper look this car has. So here are my questions then:

1. What kind of power can I reasonably expect to get from this car with its current engine?

2. What are the possibilities of being able to swap in a WRX or STi engine? (I've heard most Subaru's are fairly interchangeable with eachother).

3. If I did an engine swap, what else would I have to change to support the extra power?

4. Any price range for all this?

5. Overall, what is the modding capability of this car?

Thanks ahead of time for helping me out with this. I just want to know as much as I can before I try and make a decision of what car I may want to get.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:22 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru 2.5rs
Didnt use the search feature did you?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:58 PM

Car Info: '06 Impreza 2.5i
All this is my understanding, so don't take it as 100% fact
1) about 200 at the wheels without turbo
2) STi swaps are very common
3) if you do just the STi swap not a whole lot, but if you are going to keep tunning you'll prob want to do something with the trany and rest of the drivetrain.
4) I've heard you can get STi (swap ready) engines for around $5k-7K
5) pretty unlimited, I mean subby's are world champ rally cars after all
Old 02-16-2007, 04:33 PM

Car Info: 2006 Impreza 2.5i
What the guy above me said, but in addition...depending on how deep your pockets can go, you can prob. push it more to 250-270 hp at crank, that's with putting on a turbo and going far and beyond. If you want turbo, ya mind as well swap engines cuz it will run you about the same and have better reliability. with out turbo, i think you can get to 220-240 at crank. keep up with my thread "just got my parts from rallitek", the one with like 5 pages. Once I get the rest of my crap installed I will try and get dynoed.

The 2.5i is a great car. When I first got mine i was like crap man i wish i got a wrx, but now i'm glad I didn't . Wrx is a great car, but I love my low payments, I love not seeying others with my car every where I go, I love getting good gas mileage, I love trying to do as much to my car as i can where others went the faster road for power. I wouldn't trade this baby in for anything. Once it is paid off though, wrx here I come. You will be satisfied. For it's price range and category, nothing really competes. AWD BABY!!
Old 02-18-2007, 11:27 PM

Just want to give a big up to mysterio43 and RewSupul, hey thanks for the information, I definitely appreciate the both of you laying down the basics for me in a nice concise manner. I'll definitely keep an eye on your post as well mysterio. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:50 AM

Car Info: 06 Impreza 2.5i
Just to let you know, its good power. Just don't go driving a wrx and then hop in the 2.5i. You just might be disappointed. But sticking with the 2.5i you save money on insurance, vehicle cost, and possible speeding tickets. There's plenty of modding to do to our cars. Handling mods especially. If you're gonna be jumping right into engine swaps then you might just as well get a wrx tr. Its the stripped down version with plenty of potential. Good luck with your decision!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:32 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks mdungelman.
Yeah I actually went to see one at the dealership the other day (Finally). The more I keep looking into it, the more I like the 2.5i. So far I've figured that if I buy it, I'mma wait a while before doing any performance mods. I'm pretty much a rookie at driving stick, so I'm just gonna get more comfortable with that before I even think about adding power.
I like the SE (Special Edition), definitely nice how it has the map lights, Moonroof/Sunroof, upgraded speakers and in-dash 6-Disc CD changer ready for Satellite Radio too.
That ticket part you mentioned, that's one HUGE thing I like about this car, it's a sleeper. I can't wait til I get up to the point where I'm pushing some serious power outta this thing, and just surprise the hell outta some cockey guy in an M3 (We have so many of them around where I live).

So yeah, I like the idea of a sleeper that looks as nice as the 2.5i, and still comes from the factory with nice quality, good power, and a vast aftermarket/Performance potential.

BTW, they're already taking prices off. The dealer said they're tryna move them so they have room for the '08s (I leave near an enormous business district, and full of dealerships). The price tag said $19,000 something, but before I even tried to negotiate anything, the guy said he'd str8 up take $1,000 off, and this is the Special Edition 2007 2.5i, so as far as I can tell, that's a good deal. I'm just gonna try and see how many options/accessories I can get added on and still keep it at 18k.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:41 PM

yo, don't go playing with yourself about the ticket parts just yet man. Since i have had the car i've gotten two tickets and before i had it, I hadn't had a ticket in like 6 years. The first one i got was doin 92 in a 70 (highway) and the last one I got was doing 65 in a 35 and that one I had a court date set, which was TODAY. I got some ticket lawyers to go in for me, but no word on how it went yet. Hopefully good. Might look like a sleeper, but before you know it your doing over 60 and you think your at like 45. It is a little peppy car and is nice to push that pedal down, just make sure you get a radar or just don't haul a$$ every where you go like I do. :P

By the way, thats not a bad price for the SE. I have your basic 2.5i and i think after everything it came to slightly over 20k with payments of $320. That's with 6k down.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:44 AM

Oh yeah mysterio, you remember me talkin about that bs ticket for running a stop sign that I never ran? Up until that, I've had a perfect driving record. I know how easy it can be to get a ticket even if you don't speed much. My case is still ongoing, but I'll give you the rundown on what happened when it's over with.

Imagine how many citations you might have if you were riding in a STI tho? lol I can imagine how many I'd have.

True, you can always get tickets, especially in a sleek lookin car like the 2.5i, but if you're around other cars at least you don't stand out as much. Lol I will be careful of mashin that pedal tho, I can see how you end up doin that.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:02 AM

Car Info: 2007 Impreza 2.5 se
I have to argue about the ticket part. For the past 4 years I have been driving a 98 eclipse slammed to the floor with a molded blitz body kit , huge gtr spoiler, 19" RS limited polished wheels and a custom steel metallic paint. In other words : Flashy.....
I never wore my seatbelt and cops would pull up to me all the time but instead of looking at me they would stare at the magz lol. It happened all the time.
Cops here check out your car more (for they think its cool) then pull u over lol.. god bless canada cops. The stis are safe here
Old 03-09-2007, 04:42 PM

Canada cops? don't you guys have like "bobbies" up there? U.S cops don't F around.

snow- my boy Sike43, has had his wrx since 02 when they first came out and i think he has had one ticket. He's got a pretty good radar, but he got it while he had it, i think he was just being retarded at that time. radar goes a long way...yet i still don't own one.... *kicks self*

Yeah let me know what happens with your ticket, so far no word on mine. Im gonna try and call them tomorrow, hopefully they are open. I dont wanna go driving around having a warrant I dont know about haha.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:36 PM

Car Info: 2007 black subaru impreza 2.5 i
mesterio, i would say get one man
Old 03-11-2007, 01:35 AM

Car Info: 06 impreza 2.5i
If you really think about it, you save more money with the 2.5i, you can use regualar 87 octane gas, better gas mileage, insurance is low, and well, i have one too. lol.

but yeah, later on down the road, you can slap on them I/H/E's, lightweight pulley, cams, ecu, n' suspension, the everything will be all gravy. and maybe reach 200+ hp!

just my 2 cents.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:39 AM

Car Info: 2007 Impreza 2.5i
200bhp not 200whp with those mods...
Old 03-12-2007, 02:57 AM

Car Info: 06 impreza 2.5i
oh yeah,.. forgot about that..

Quick Reply: To buy a 2.5i, or not to buy.