Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Build up a 2.5RS motor????

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 09:43 PM

Question Build up a 2.5RS motor????

Question i know everyone's got a turbo ej20 and/or ej25t what about doing a ej25 build up. i've had this in my mind all the time but problem is the ej25 is a SOHC but the ej25t is a DOHC. would it be worth spending money on the ej25t but remove the turbo and just do a straight NA build up????
Old 02-11-2005, 12:33 AM

Car Info: '98 Legacy GT - EJ20 swap, STI RA tranny, VF22+
A lot of companies offer upgrades for your engine, from headers and intake stuff to new cams, which make a big difference. Cobb Tuning has cylinder head upgrades for your engine. With full exhaust and cams, you'll be quicker than a stock WRX because of the amazingly phat torque curve.... and you're lighter. There are even engine management options out there now... I-Speed offers a reflash for the RS, I can't remember if Cobb made anything for it or not.

BTW Vince, you seem to have shut off your ability to receive PM's. I wrote something up for you and it wouldn't go through. PLEASE pm me as soon as possible with an e-mail address so I can contact you or to let me know that you've changed that setting.

Jeremy
Old 02-11-2005, 12:58 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Building an EJ25 up NA is no different than any other NA buildup. Raise compression, add some aggressive cams, use premium gas, and find a way to closely control ignition timing. A few other bits, like the usual bolt-on suspects, and you can easily make 220ish bhp for maybe $2000-2500 if you know how to spend right.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:52 PM

Car Info: 1996 impreza 60 trim, 8psi 201 whp, 213 tq 200k mi
Originally Posted by Vinces25RS
Question i know everyone's got a turbo ej20 and/or ej25t what about doing a ej25 build up. i've had this in my mind all the time but problem is the ej25 is a SOHC but the ej25t is a DOHC. would it be worth spending money on the ej25t but remove the turbo and just do a straight NA build up????
incorrect, older 2.5s were DOHC non turbo, then they switched to SOHC in either 98 or 99, the SOHC motor is better, same HP and more reliable, build up a SOHC it will be cheaper (two less cams) and if your gonna raise compression, you wont hafta worry about head gaskets on the SOHC, its just a far more superior moter, with less technology
Old 02-14-2005, 10:04 PM

Car Info: '98 Legacy GT - EJ20 swap, STI RA tranny, VF22+
Oh haha, I didn't even read that final question properly. Taking the turbo off an STI engine would be the wrong way to go. Its low compression means it would totally suck N/A. You would have to put new pistons on it right off the bat just to make the same amount of power that you're making now. The only true benefit would be that it's a semi-closed deck block... but unless you're running a turbo or supercharger that really doesn't matter.

Vince -- you owe me an e-mail or PM.

Jeremy
Old 02-16-2005, 04:05 PM

Car Info: 2004 2.5 RS
Originally Posted by AWDimprezaL
incorrect, older 2.5s were DOHC non turbo, then they switched to SOHC in either 98 or 99, the SOHC motor is better, same HP and more reliable, build up a SOHC it will be cheaper (two less cams) and if your gonna raise compression, you wont hafta worry about head gaskets on the SOHC, its just a far more superior moter, with less technology

Wow i didn't know that i was always told it not worth building up a SOHC motor
Old 02-16-2005, 06:26 PM

Car Info: 1996 impreza 60 trim, 8psi 201 whp, 213 tq 200k mi
well when it comes to 2.5s unless we are talking STI, the SOHC is far superior, just look at it, the deleted two cams and came out 3 HP more then the DOHC...much better, and more reliable
Old 02-18-2005, 01:16 AM

Cool thanks i almost made a mistake and bought this STi motor from my friend's friend
Old 02-18-2005, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Building an EJ25 up NA is no different than any other NA buildup. Raise compression, add some aggressive cams, use premium gas, and find a way to closely control ignition timing. A few other bits, like the usual bolt-on suspects, and you can easily make 220ish bhp for maybe $2000-2500 if you know how to spend right.

What would be one of the best ways to control ignition???
Old 02-18-2005, 04:25 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
A full stand alone like a Link, Hydra, or TecIII. Sokmething along those lines. But Apex'i used to make a timing controller called an ITC. That works too, but unfortunately they stopped making them, so you have to find them used, on eBay, etc.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:01 PM

Car Info: '98 Neon R/T
How about a DIS-2 or something like that? MSD has some nice, inexpensive ignition controllers.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:56 PM

Car Info: 2.5RS STI swapped
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Can anyone elaborate on this? I wanted to go turbo but lately I've been really interested in just going N/A. I think it would be great fun and more reliable for my purposes.

cheers

garrett
Old 03-05-2005, 09:12 PM

Car Info: '98 Neon R/T
Eh...I've done the all-motor thing. I got an extra 50-ish hp out of a DOHC Neon engine and it still wasn't as fast or reliable as I expected. My advice is to just build a turbo kit that'll push 5-6 PSI (possibly non-intercooled) to retain transmission life and reliability. With the right connections, it could probably be done for under $2K and make a good amount of power.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:05 AM
tim

If you really want to build up the 2.5, go to Cobb's website. Nice heads... And like everyone has been saying--the SOHC engines are a lot better. You will find that tuning them is much safer and easier. Also, if you have a chance to get a good STi motor for a good price, for Gods sake dont pass it up. It would reauire a little more work to put in (okay, a lot more), but it would totaly be worth it.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:10 PM

Car Info: 2.5RS STI swapped
yeah but...

Yeah I have a SOHC. I've been looking thru cobb's site often. I dunno how I feel about all their parts sometimes. I've seen some comparisons of Cobb's header vs the TWE header and I think the TWE header looks cleaner. Still, I'll likely be going with the Cobb header. I know it's a good product and I live in San Francisco and don't want my header dragging on the streets. Which is what I hear is the issue with the TWE product.

I have a magnaflow muffler which IMO is way to loud. I get picked on by the fuzz often and really think it's just too damn loud. So I'll be going with a full exhaust from mani back. Hi-flow cat etc. Replace the Borla. I want to do Cobb PnP to the heads and get the club cams from Cobb. I was also thinking about doing a Crawford 2.5 short block with 12:1 compression. Maybe do that when my current block fails or maybe at 100k not likely my current block will fail anytime soon. *knocks wood* I don't know if it's nessicary but was also thinking about doing TWE PnP throttle body and PnP the intake mani. Prolly tie it all together with the Hydra computer, I-Speed Reflash or that piggy back thing Rallitek is pimping out these days.

Yeah I pretty much don't want to deal with the turbo kit. This car was born N/A and I think it should stay that way. If I were to turbo I'd prolly just swap the engine with a EJ20 turbo. Guess thats the muscle car roots talking.

I don't think it's fair to compare a Dodge Neon to the EJ25. Not a diss or anything. Just not the same car. I've had pretty good luck with the EJ25 engine and feel it's got good usable power. Very grin inspiring. A few more ponies would be enough for a good while. And with the Cobb parts and a few other mods it should get there and move the power band up a little, which I think would be cool.

The car is mostly done with suspension and brakes. So I'm at least in the home stretch. If anyone else has ideas post'em up.

cheers

garrett

Originally Posted by tim
If you really want to build up the 2.5, go to Cobb's website. Nice heads... And like everyone has been saying--the SOHC engines are a lot better. You will find that tuning them is much safer and easier. Also, if you have a chance to get a good STi motor for a good price, for Gods sake dont pass it up. It would reauire a little more work to put in (okay, a lot more), but it would totaly be worth it.