Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Airflow or spark?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 11:37 PM

Car Info: fastar
hey dude, its me again. i saw u might do a cone filter. if you do defintely keep your stock upper air box. that's wut give u most of your low end torque, u'll get better top end without it but u'll def notice a low end loss. i kept my top air box and ran a 3" outer diameter aluminum pipe to a 3" inner diamerte silicone tube and an innder fender plate to block any hot air from the engine bay, noticed a good increase in throttle response and some low end, also a little better top end. the hot air from there makes a huge difference so don't just leave yur cone on there (u just suck hot, power killing air. i was while i was waiting for parts). my friend (hitokiri) is running a PRM? (i never remember those letters) with a MAF adapter and 3" aluminum tube to his stock upper air box. the only difference is he needed to get a gasket or cut out the paper part from a stock air filter to keep the box air tight since the MAF is located before the upper box, he tried without it and just kept stalling and idling harsh. he encountered another problem u should watch out for if u do this, when he was driving the etra flow and lack of adhesion pulled the gasket into the throttle body and held the plate open and he was stuck open. scary! he glued it in i think.... it works fine now. my rs is a 2000 so i hav a manifold absolute pressure (MAP) instead so i only had the upper box stock and was able to just run that open pipe into my fender and leave my KN in the top air box. if u run a cone, its gona b hard to find a cone that will fit in yur fender so i recommend leaving yur top box, getting a PRM inline filter (not from COBB, it will take FOREVER) and running an open ended pipe to yur fender like i did. when u figure out wut yur gona do i can help u, i know where all the snorkus pieces are and i can help you figure stuff out. u can check out my intake set up if u wana get some ideas. just remember u hav a MAF sensor which is kinda sensative and u need to hav an air tight system after yur MAF sensor or yur engine will think its getting less air then it really is and run lean to the point of stall. alright i think that's as long as i can go without being yelled at i left my number on another one of yur post so if u want help or sumthin lemme know, goodluck dude.