Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

2.2 Impreza Wagon Exhaust Project [Header-back]

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 07:35 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
2.2 Impreza Wagon Exhaust Project [Header-back]

*I posted this in the 'official N/A exhaust thread' also, but it seems to be kinda dead, despite it's stickyness. Mods-please don't kill me for double posting...*

Okay- I'm finally gonna let my car breathe... I installed borla headers on my '98 2.2 OBS, and I have a muffler ready to install. I was planning to go to the local exhaust shop this coming week and get a cat-back installed- but, when I installed the header, I realized that if the cat-pipe were also replaced, I'd have a completely new exhaust.

Here are my questions:
- Would an exhaust shop be able to bend a cat-pipe and install a high-flow cat in-line?(a universal one- to be purchased by me) Could they replicate the random tech design more or less by doing this (for much cheaper)? I realize I'd need a second O2 sensor input in addition to the one in the cat... That can just go in the pipe after the cat, correct? (I remember seeing pics of the random-tech and stromung cat-pipes, but I can't find them right now)
If I were to do this, would you recommend keeping the same diameter piping through the whole exhaust? I was planning to go with 2.25in for the cat-back, but I wasn't sure what would be best for the cat-pipe.

Also... What do you all think about a resonator or flex-pipe, or both? Where should they be located

and last question... would changing the O2 sensors be beneficial (I'm at 130K mi.- bought it at 105K w/ no records, so I dont know what's been done )

Go ahead, hate on my Ebay exhaust! But its all CHEAP- and that's what matters
...seriously now - PLEASE let me know if any of this is crap that's gonna rust and fall off or blow up. It all looks okay to me- but looks can be deceiving.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33633

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33629

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33636

again...the muffler I already have.

If any of you have any input, speak up please!
Old 10-25-2004, 08:22 PM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
Cool

Hey - nothing's wrong with ebay. You can find a lot of parts if you're on a budget and can't pay for the name but you want similar quality and style for less.

Unfortunately, I have NO CLUE on how the exhaust system is set up on your 2.2. What's a cat pipe? Exhaust shops can do most anything within reason; they specialize in the stuff. The only thing is that if your pipe needs a sharp bend, I reccomend it be a mandrel bend. For people on a budget, mandrel bends are not required, but when it comes down to a sharp crush bend it really hinders the flow.

As I have no clue on your stock exhaust routes, I can't tell you for sure if you'd need a flex pipe or not. If your stock pieces have, then you should try to put one in the same location as stock. As for a resonator, its ok, but it depends on how loud you would like it. Since you're running a high-flow cat, the exhaust will sound a bit more smooth and less raspy then without, but might possibly still be loud depending on the construction of the muffler. I think its a good idea to include a resonator because the muffler gets loud after a while and might get a little intrusive depending on how loud you want it.

Including a resonator shouldn't be that hard considering there is usually a spot right after the cat, in the middle of the car.

If possible, keep the 2.25" diameter through the whole exhaust system, for best flow.

I hope this was of some help.. But i'm sure others who know better can chime in.

Good luck man, dont worry about ebay, lotsa people don't even know about it