Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Weird noises... normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 08:44 PM

Angry Weird noises... normal?

I'ved had my 05 STi for 1 week and 2 days now and have noticed some weird noises and just wanted to know if its normal or not.

Noise 1: I can hear the A/C from the engine area really loud in the interior when I am driving and the A/C is on... on and off though, not constant noise. I have never heard this on any of my other cars so I dunno if its normal with Subaru...

Noise 2: Near the rear passenger side, there's a noise coming from what I believe its the rear seat belt buckle that's close to the rear headrest. It might be from the spoiler too but its not that noticeable... there's noise only when in motion.

Noise 3: This one is the one that annoys me the most. Its coming from either my gauges of the plastic thing that covers the area between my gauges and the steering wheel (where the parking light is located). It sounds like some plastic is rubbing with something else and makes a constant noise when the car is in motion... anyway to fix it?

Are all these noises common from the STi or what? Thanks... its 100% made is Japan so I expected to be rattleless and of perfect quality.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:18 PM

Someone please?
Old 10-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
Re: the A/C, the STi has minimal sound insulation, and an aluminum hood. How often does the noise turn on and off? It could just be that you're hearing the compressor turning on and off...try to feel in the gas pedal the slight hesitation that occurs when your compressor kicks in...if it occurs at the same time you hear that noise, that explains your problem.

Re: misc. noises, my STi has some noise in the driver side B pillar, or in the roof, and its fairly annoying.

I can't get the dealership to fix it, they refuse to deal with NVH-related issues with these cars.

If you can get the noises to replicate for the dealership, good luck man!

David
Old 10-06-2004, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by dahveed

Re: misc. noises, my STi has some noise in the driver side B pillar, or in the roof, and its fairly annoying.

I can't get the dealership to fix it, they refuse to deal with NVH-related issues with these cars.

David
I am starting to have noises on the B pillar too! I understand that rattles and stuff like that are unavoidable... but after ONLY 1 week? COME ON! Well I am taking my car to the dealership on Monday and we'll see what they say.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
Originally Posted by WRrex13
I have that same noise in my steering column/gauge area. You'd think subaru would figure out a way to eliminate that in a $34K car. It annoys me to no end - i too the dash apart lookin for it but found nothin.
I'd rather spend the $30K+ on performance than removing all noises.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by WRrex13
True true. It just screams cheap tho ya know. Dont get me wrong, I love this car. This Sti has been my dream car for a while. But the build quality needs to improve alot for subaru to be taken seriously in its push to compete with the likes of audi/vw, bmw, saab etc. Chinsy rattles just wont do IMO.
That sucks... I thought that maybe the build quality was going to be great given thats 100% Japanese but I guess not. Exactly how much more rattles can I expect was the months go by? I mean, I have only had the car for almost 2 weeks and rattles are apparent already, at this rate, the inside of the car would have tons of damn noises.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that power steering hiss...that trips me out...
Old 10-12-2004, 11:57 AM

I just got my '05 STi last friday. I have noticed some knocking/clunking from the center or rear diff off the line at slow speeds espcially when turning. Anyone else notice this?

-Mike
Old 10-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Originally Posted by roadkillSTI
I just got my '05 STi last friday. I have noticed some knocking/clunking from the center or rear diff off the line at slow speeds espcially when turning. Anyone else notice this?

-Mike
what DCCD setting are you using?
Old 10-12-2004, 02:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
dynamat your car and put back the insulation that was INTENTIONALLY not included. you bought a sports car not a family car. hearing the noises are normal, have you guys been in race cars? they squeek and rattle like no other, point being peformance over comfort. sorry to be all "aggro" to peeps, just doesnt seem people researched the sti before they bought it. im probably gonna get flamed for this but hey since everyone is a critic why cant i?
Old 10-12-2004, 04:12 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

I mentioned the DCCD settings because people have put it into 35/65 and wondered why it makes cornerbraking noises!

Quick Reply: Weird noises... normal?