Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

turboxs turbo back, please advise!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 11:31 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX Sport Wagon
turboxs turbo back, please advise!!!!!

Love my STi, got it on Oct 21st '03 hit 3000 miles last night.
Thinking about doing the exhaust, this will be the fisrt and probably only mod.
Read/heard turboXS is the best one for the car.
Happy with what I read about performance, fit, sound and look.

Refuse to buy it, if it throws my CEL!
Would appreciate all experiences.

I had this CEL problem on my '01 2.5RS, I eventually returned the whole exhaust, don't want that hassel again.

What exhaust does Subaru use for upgrading the STi?

Thanks to everyone who replies.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:07 AM

Car Info: '10 WRB STi SE / '09 BMW K1300S
I've heard good things about the turboxs turboback exhaust (tbe), too. But at the same time I heard that the APS tbe was an excellent product too. A big prerequiste of mine was the tbe had to be as quiet as possible. I heard people say that the TurboXS was fairly quiet but same for the APS system. The APS website actually published their tested decible ratings for their exhaust systems and that pretty much convinced me to go with their product. Also it's a pretty subtle look, too. Oh yeah, the only bad thing about the TurboXS was some people complaining about the tip melting or warping some of bumper material around it. Read about it here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=5

Here's a link to the APS tbe
http://www.aps-wrx.com/us_spec/subar...wrx-hoe-r1.htm

I had it installed last week, and yes the APS systems sounds great! It even passed the wife test! The expected gains took awhile...maybe just the computer relearning or something.

Now as for the CEL's, if you do some searching you'll find that CEL's are VERY common with tbe's. The most common is the boost creep problem. Look at the sticky post at the top of the STI Powerplant - EJ2.5T forum. My TBE was no exception. I threw a CEL one day after it was installed. Based on my experience, it might be wise to have your wastegate ported at the same time you're getting the TBE installed. In most cases that resolved most of the CELs. A handful of people, swear that a e-Boost controller solved their problem...but a lot of people disagree with that.

Anyway, if you're willing to get a TBE, personally, I think you'll need to be open to the risk of CEL's. I'm going to get my wastegate ported and hopefully that'll solve my CEL problem.

Oh, and when you said that the TBE was the only thing you'll do to your car, I was like, "Yeah, uh-huh...suuuuuure." One other thing you might consider after the TBE (and when you have the cash) is engine management. The combination of the two can yield a total HP gain of 50+ Now that's what I'm talking about!!!!!

Jason
jason@uspilots.us

Last edited by STiPilot; 04-24-2004 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by STiPilot
Oh yeah, the only bad thing about the TurboXS was some people complaining about the tip melting or warping some of bumper material around it.

Jason
jason@uspilots.us
Just an FYI, the TurboXS RFL-Ti muffler bumper melting issue has been fixed by TurboXS. All of the RFL-Ti's they ship out are revised versions that will not melt the bumper. I just installed the rear muffler section(RFL-Ti) not too long ago and it was the revised version. Here are pics of the revised version(lower departure angle and longer tip = no melting issues whatsoever). This isn't on my car, this is someone else's car. I will take pics of the RFL-Ti on my car when I get a chance.

Here is the OLD RFL-Ti:

Here is the NEWLY REVISED RFL-Ti(much better)

Name:  pic_5.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  28.4 KB
Name:  pic_4.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  pic_1.jpg
Size:  24.2 KB

-Matt

Last edited by STiLL WILL; 04-25-2004 at 04:55 AM.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:12 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black/Gold STi
Ive heard there are boost creep issues with the RFL-TI turbo back. And that it also throws a cell if you dont adjust the 02 Sensor.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:35 PM

ANY free-flowing turbo back is prime for boost creep. I really don't know how you would 'adjust' an o2 sensor, but that's more of an issue of either getting the high flow cat or buying a CEL resistor fix.

-Matt

*BTW, here are pics of the REVISED RFL-Ti muffler on my STi

Name:  STi_and_R_024_a.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  61.3 KB
Name:  STi_and_R_023_a.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  64.2 KB
Name:  STi_and_R_021_a.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  66.8 KB
Name:  STi_and_R_020_a.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  43.8 KB
Name:  STi_and_R_019_a.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  41.9 KB
Name:  STi_and_R_009_a.jpg
Size:  67.5 KB
Old 04-28-2004, 03:55 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black/Gold STi
Gotta love the White with gold, and is that a yellow type r I spy in the background?
Old 04-28-2004, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by SlickmisterN
...is that a yellow type r I spy in the background?
You got it. That's my older brother's "weekend ride." Since he's a master Subaru tech(lucky me), I bet you wouldv'e seen two STi's on our driveway had he known back in 2000 that they were coming in '04.

-Matt
Old 04-30-2004, 09:30 AM

Car Info: 04 STI
I have a TurboXS (not the RFL) Turbo Back with CAT and ran it 7000 mi without any CEL and NO boost creap.

I just recently installed TurboXS straight pipe to replace my cat and got an O2 sensor simulator from (www.o2simulator.com) and do not have CEL's.

I can't tell if the catless setup improved my performance or the addition of a K&N Typhoon cold air setup was responsible. But one or both have dramatically improved performance.

I also have an EXED from Vishnu that Shiv dyno tune a 100 octane map for me. I'm only running 16.5 psi boost and prior to the catless & K&N setup I was at 275 WHP on Shiv's dyno.

Going to Thunderhill (CA) this weekend so I'll let you know how it works on the track -- proof in the da puddin'.

Rob.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:03 AM

Car Info: 2007 WRX Sport Wagon
You guys have been helpful and I thank you for that.

You guys are talking about a couple of different systems that turboxs makes, what are my choices?

I think I want one with a cat, does this one throw the CEL and will the O2 sim work on a system with at cat?