Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Turbo CRACK Kills!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:33 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
Turbo CRACK Kills!!!!!!!

Hey guys!!! Just wanted to post about my problem with my car i have been having lately. About 4 or 5 months ago i got the Cobb AP for my 05 STi. Got me about 27 more ponies. I love it! But...........when i got it protuned at Gruppe-S Mike told me that there was something going on and he could not get the fuel map dialed in. He thought maybe it was bad gas. That day i was in a hurry and i went to Chevron. I always get 76. So anyways i scheduled another tune and i was sure to fill up with 76. Again he could not dial it in. He was saying that i was at 250WHP. With all my mods he was thinking i should be more in the neighborhood of around 265 or 270 to the wheels. So I was very frustrated with this whole situation.

So i made another appointment to have a leak down compression test done on the valves. I got into an accident in october of '05 and he thought maybe something got bent in the engine. Everything checked out perfect. So I was very concerned by this point. Well yesterday i had them pull my turbo and WALLA!!!!!! Crack in my turbo just above the wastegate. And this is a huge crack. Bigger than the other ones i have seen on posts here. My friend was nice enough to lend me his turbo off of his 06 sti. Instant difference in performance. I am getting tuned on monday and hope i can make all the power i should be making.

It is a big weight off of my shoulders to know that my ineternals are ok and that my cracked turbo is now out of my car. Here are a few pics of the crack. Just remember kids..........CRACK KILLS!!!!!

So for all you out there that think there is something just not right with your sti, check the turbo for cracks. It seems like these year subies have a problem with this. I have heard from a few other guys with 04's and 05's that this has happened.

E
Attached Thumbnails Turbo CRACK Kills!!!!!!!-dsc00107.jpg   Turbo CRACK Kills!!!!!!!-dsc00108.jpg   Turbo CRACK Kills!!!!!!!-dsc00109.jpg  

Last edited by Wingless Wonder; 06-16-2006 at 04:29 PM. Reason: resized pics to 'friendlier' viewing size
Old 06-16-2006, 04:36 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Thanks for posting the pics and info. That's a condition that other owners can look for if a tuning problem proves elusive.

Thread moved from General forum. Pics resized (voilà! ) using IrfanView for faster loading, better fit in most browser windows or tabs.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 06-17-2006, 08:57 AM

Car Info: 07 Ducati monster S2R1K
thanks

now I know I need to go with the 20G
Old 06-18-2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by ScobyWRX
now I know I need to go with the 20G
thats the one i am going to get too. Heard they are a great upgraded turbo.

No problem wingless wonder. I am glad i figured this problem out. I just want to help all the other fellow subie owners. Thanks.

E
Old 06-18-2006, 10:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
can that be fix?
Old 06-18-2006, 11:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: E28M5, RAM Powerwagon, Motos
Yeah, that happened to my turbo and a customer of ours. The crack in mine was minor in comparison to our customers. It had multiple cracks in the casting.
I'll post up some pics tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2006 Aspen Sti
damn bro, a lot bigger than i thought it was.....
Old 06-19-2006, 07:43 AM

Mike, me too!!!!! That **** is huge. Going to Gruppe-S today to have it all tuned. Im hoping it makes a big difference. And i think it will. Definately bigger than i thought too.

de pilipino guy said: can that be fix?

Not that i know of. I would think it would be better just to go with a new turbo. With that much pressure going through there being the heart of the engine and all. Newer i think is the way to go.

E

Post pics wrexr.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 05 LegacyGT,06 Black STI Will be home Soon
Get a 100 oct tune while you're there you'll love it
Old 06-19-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by gilmore25
Get a 100 oct tune while you're there you'll love it
You have to have 100 octane in the tank dont you? I am out right now used it all!!!

Next time when i get my bigger turbo i will definately do that. Hows it going man? That was sweet meet in fairfield. See you soon.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:43 PM

Car Info: 05 LegacyGT,06 Black STI Will be home Soon
Originally Posted by scarface
You have to have 100 octane in the tank dont you? I am out right now used it all!!!

Next time when i get my bigger turbo i will definately do that. Hows it going man? That was sweet meet in fairfield. See you soon.
I hope to make it out tonight for the meet. My AP was shipped on Friday so I'am still without the STI
Old 06-19-2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by gilmore25
I hope to make it out tonight for the meet. My AP was shipped on Friday so I'am still without the STI
Dam! Well hope to see you there!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:07 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Thumbs up

Good Luck!
Old 06-21-2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by subie OCD
Good Luck!
Thanks Matt! I will need it. After I replaced the turbo it is still doing the same thing. Due to the accident i was in last october, I think something on the front of the engine got knocked by the radiator. I had to replace the radiator with a new one because the pins that hold it in snapped from the impact of sliding sideways into some brush. So Mike at Gruppe S thinks that the timing got pushed all out of wack or the belts or pulleys are off. Gruppe-S is checking my timing and all my belts on friday. So hopefully things will be all good. I am very anxious to get this engine to its full potential and get a bigger turbo! But first things first, get the engine running perfect.

E
Old 06-21-2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by scarface
Thanks Matt! I will need it. After I replaced the turbo it is still doing the same thing. Due to the accident i was in last october, I think something on the front of the engine got knocked by the radiator. I had to replace the radiator with a new one because the pins that hold it in snapped from the impact of sliding sideways into some brush. So Mike at Gruppe S thinks that the timing got pushed all out of wack or the belts or pulleys are off. Gruppe-S is checking my timing and all my belts on friday. So hopefully things will be all good. I am very anxious to get this engine to its full potential and get a bigger turbo! But first things first, get the engine running perfect.

E
Actually, my '05 STI will be at Gruppe-S also this Thursday and Friday getting a lot of mods installed. When I put on my 20G a few weeks ago, I also had cracks in my VF39, which had about 22K miles on it, which were evident after it was removed. It still ran fine though.

Quick Reply: Turbo CRACK Kills!!!!!!!