Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

thermal dispersant testing

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:23 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
thermal dispersant testing

i've decided to play around with some dispersant because there really hasnt been much in the way of actual data out there. until now i've just used thermal barrier type coatings so this is new territory for me. i know alot of people put grill paint on things like intercoolers and radiators but i think it would be cool to be able to black them out AND have function to it.

a little info about thermal disperant:
"Being able to move and control heat is of tremendous importance. Excessive temperature can lead to metal fatigue, boiling fluids, damaging metal expansion, reduce electrical efficiency and a host of other problems. Traditionally dealing with heat has been handled either by expanding the
radiating surface, constructing parts from materials that are more heat conductive and using the color black. With advances in thermal management methods additional ways of enhancing heat trans-
fer now exist. Individual products such as TLTD can be utilized by themselves or in conjunction with other coatings to manage the flow of heat. TLTD is capable of transferring heat faster than the bare metal surface. While TLTD does make use of the color black, TLTD is more than a simple "black body" heat emitting coating. TLTD includes ingredients that also contribute to increased heat flow. Combining these properties with increased corrosion protection and the thin film application technique, maximizes thermal transfer capabilities. Effective on Brakes, Intake
Manifolds, Cylinder Heads, Oil Pans, Radiators, Intercoolers and more.
"

with that said, we decided to start with a tmic off of an 02 wrx. i got two things accomplished; baselining some temps from an uncoated tmic, and got the tmic sandblasted and coated with thermal dispersant. i'll post up my baseline temp points soon.

Justin

some pics

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

baseline results. in retrospect i would have done more start and stop to see how quickly the IC gets cooled after heatsoak because this is where i think it would be most effective. these are baseline uncoated results.

kellogg, 11th and maryland are about a mile apart. i should have done alot more driving and less idle temp taking.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:19 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
How did you measure the temp?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
I'm interested in your results. I have an STI intercooler in my WRX and it is UGLY; somehow it got corroded on the bottom edge (I think the previous owner overused their sprayer or didn't use distilled water) and I'd love to paint it with that dispersant. Is it expensive?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
How did you measure the temp?
thermocoupler taped to the core. eventually i'll be testing with two probes, one pre and one post.

Originally Posted by meilers
I'm interested in your results. I have an STI intercooler in my WRX and it is UGLY; somehow it got corroded on the bottom edge (I think the previous owner overused their sprayer or didn't use distilled water) and I'd love to paint it with that dispersant. Is it expensive?
its definitely expensive to buy and it has to be in bulk because its for shops only.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:47 PM

ok so i have some more raw data here from testing. i'd say i'm pretty happy with the results. i believe i see a high of 26% cooler temps in the data. ambient temps were very similar to the other night of testing.

raw data snapshot

Driving portion of test. Blue is coated, pink is uncoated.

First 1/3 car idle after getting back to the shop. last 2/3 car sitting off. Last data point is 21 minutes after the car was shut off.

Raw snapshot of the whole shabang, driving, sitting, idling, and off together.

Justin
Old 06-27-2007, 09:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
What would a shop charge for a sandblast and coating? I know thermal coating on up/downpipes runs around $100...
Old 06-28-2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by meilers
What would a shop charge for a sandblast and coating? I know thermal coating on up/downpipes runs around $100...
pm'd you back.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:06 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Thats pretty cool. I'd definitely be interested in that...once I get my sti tmic haha.