Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

TBE & Headers, whats next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 01:26 AM

Car Info: 71 rb26 240z
TBE & Headers, whats next?

I got my turboxs stealthback in with racepipe, and have gruppe-s headers installed, so whats next? I kinda dont feel the difference in power when i put the headers in, is there a problem?

Last edited by xicema17x; 06-13-2005 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:47 AM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Well it's not a huge difference, and you need to get tuned unless you already have been.... you need to get tuned for the headers that is...

Gruppe-S or Vishnu can do that for you..
Old 06-13-2005, 10:16 AM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Did you have any leaks?

Did you use your old gaskets (primarily the manifold x2)? Or did you put in new ones prior to your installation?

I swapped my stock manifold with a friend who has a set of headers, used my old gaskets, and I am leaking bad...just ordered new gaskets and will have to do the install all over again...this time I am replacing ALL gaskets...

I have the XXtuning header...similar if not the same as the GT SPec2...semi-equal length...

Sounds completely different...and I don't know much about power gains until I lose the dang leak in the manifold...ARGH!
Old 06-13-2005, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Island Style
Did you use your old gaskets (primarily the manifold x2)? Or did you put in new ones prior to your installation?

I swapped my stock manifold with a friend who has a set of headers, used my old gaskets, and I am leaking bad...just ordered new gaskets and will have to do the install all over again...this time I am replacing ALL gaskets...

I have the XXtuning header...similar if not the same as the GT SPec2...semi-equal length...

Sounds completely different...and I don't know much about power gains until I lose the dang leak in the manifold...ARGH!
i am actually using the old gaskets, but i think imma go to gruppe s today and get some new ones. I dont mind working on the headers again, just want to make sure im getting full potential. Dont know if i have leaks though, but im just gonna do it.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:29 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS (really slow)
Originally Posted by xicema17x
i am actually using the old gaskets, but i think imma go to gruppe s today and get some new ones. I dont mind working on the headers again, just want to make sure im getting full potential. Dont know if i have leaks though, but im just gonna do it.
you should never reuse the old header gaskets. You should feel some top end gain. It kind of smoots out the exaust and gives it more of a throaty sound then a deep tone. Exaust sounds more free (cuzz it is )
Old 06-13-2005, 08:13 PM

Lesson learned...

Hope everyone else learns from my mistake...it's a lot of work to have to take the downpipe, up-pipe, then header off- and making sure not to bust the O2 sensor's.

The rule seems that if you get an after market header...get new gaskets. Now if you want to use your old gaskets to put you stock cast iron headers back on (no flex in those flanges) you have a pretty good chance that it will seal it up again...but then again, if I decide to put on my old stock manifold on, you can be sure that I'll be buying new gaskets again...

Old 06-15-2005, 01:17 PM

yea, i actually bought some new gaskets and put them on yesterday and man i totally felt the difference. Difference in psi and pull. Then again more lag in the low end but its kool.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:00 AM

Very cool...

Mine are going on today...5 gaskets in all...I hope the leak(s) go away...can't wait to hear the leakless sound of my exhaust...

Which gaskets did you replace? So did you have a leak then?

What exhaust system are you using with your headers and which brand of headers did you go with?

Right now, I have the HKS Carbon Ti on...I recently took off my B&B to try out this Carbon Ti. This exhuast (with the exception of the fluttering leak) screams with these headers on...it would literally scare people if they heard me coming up behind them...sounds like the WRC car...even with the leak, when the rpm's get at 3K and above...it starts taking off like a banshee!

I'll let you know how it goes after the gaskets go on...
Old 06-17-2005, 02:13 AM

With the help of Col.Smith AKA Kevin,

we installed the 5 new gaskets...no leaks so far...but upon inspection of the old gaskets...they leaked everywhere...primarily from the two manifolds and the up to turbo connection...

I was really concerned that new gaskets wouldn't seal the manifolds but I purchased these new "puffy" manifold gaskets from xxtuning, the sellers of my Header...as I was torqueing the nuts down, I could really feel the gaskets compressing..the others were pretty much Subaru except the Header to Up-pipe gasket...again XXtuning...

My turbo spools much nicer now and the power is very nice...sound will take some getting use to...

Gone is the low, mean growl...kind of miss it...but I'm getting use to this one...
Old 06-18-2005, 05:38 PM

Thumbs up

Mine are going on today...5 gaskets in all...I hope the leak(s) go away...can't wait to hear the leakless sound of my exhaust...

Which gaskets did you replace? So did you have a leak then?

What exhaust system are you using with your headers and which brand of headers did you go with?

Right now, I have the HKS Carbon Ti on...I recently took off my B&B to try out this Carbon Ti. This exhuast (with the exception of the fluttering leak) screams with these headers on...it would literally scare people if they heard me coming up behind them...sounds like the WRC car...even with the leak, when the rpm's get at 3K and above...it starts taking off like a banshee!

I'll let you know how it goes after the gaskets go on...
I actually went to gruppe-s and bought some gaskets from them. Im using gruppe-s headers. I actually used the new gaskets and some gasket maker with it. No leaks, but dont really know for sure. But i feel the difference now, but maybe its just me. But yea the low end loss sucks, and im kinda missing it. I get smoked by my friends roush more now that the bottom end is gone. hahahaha... But the sound of the car hasnt really been noticably different. Sounds fine to me. HAHAHAH... Aw but man, i didnt torque my screws. I hand tightened them.

Last edited by xicema17x; 06-18-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:53 AM

Car Info: 05 GT30R STi
The rule seems that if you get an after market header...get new gaskets.
you got that right brotha, why do the same job twice?