Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

SUN Automobile Cyber Speed Hyper Voltage Grounding System

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 10:07 AM

Car Info: 05 GT30R STi

I would like to start off by saying that installing a grounding kit was nowhere remotely on my future mods list. My skepticism of spending money on a mod such as this was prompted throughout the years by watching people waste their money on shiny wires to make their engine compartments look cool. Of course, I understood the idea behind the necessity of grounding but in terms of increasing performance and drivability? I would have easily spent the money on a blow-off valve and called it a day.

So, recently I began to read up on various threads about these grounding mods which every so often would resurface. Naturally, testimonials about how the grounding mod was a waste of time was a waste of time was combated by how this mod improved drivability for the owner’s cars. I started asking around and discovered that more people have done this mod to their cars than I expected and loved it. I was ready to put this question to rest. With the help of William at e-autosports.com located in El Monte, CA, I purchased the SUN Automobile Hyper Voltage system for my 05 STi. With the popularity of SUN products used in Japan and Hong Kong (from what I’ve heard) I was game.

Installation was a breeze with an exception to a stubborn screw that refused to drive in correctly. This was not from any defects of the kit; it was just the stupid screw that didn’t cooperate from a weird angle. Fitment was great since the kit I purchased was made specifically for the GDA STi. It is from my understanding that they have kits made specifically for the Mitsubishi Evo, Nissan 350Z, our very own Subaru WRX/STi, as well as a couple of other famous imports that fail to recall. The Hyper Voltage kit consisted of a five wires, mounting bracket, voltage system, and screws. Wires were bolted to the positive/negative terminal on the battery, left/right side of the intake manifold, and inner fender near the battery. Additional grounding wires can also be purchased for further grounding. With the voltage system installed I opted to reset the ECU a la Shiv which could be found here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...ight=ecu+vishnu

After giving it a couple days more of regular driving to compensate for the ECU’s learning process I went for a spirited drive. I noticed smoother drivability through throttle response if anything but that was it. Surprising to say, the car has felt pretty good since then. I’m pretty sure it was due to the hot weather that we’ve been experiencing in SoCal recently that affected the feel of my car. The weather has cooled to moderate temps and the car feels good. It’s shocking to me that this mod does work. With all the uncertainty I had for purchasing the grounding system, I’m going to swallow my pride and say that it improved the way my car drove. It pulls a little harder, respond a bit quicker/smoother, and a bit of improved fuel efficiency (noticeably gaining about 5-7 miles or so on a tank of gas; an average after two tanks of gas). In the end, I would say this is a nice modification and if there is still disbelief in your mind like I once had, so be it. This is simply a review from what I've experienced, that's it. With what the voltage system has done for my car, I wouldn’t mind adding the complementary wires in the future.

Ken
mod list just the go fast parts include:
invidia exhaust manifold
pde down
hks carb-ti
k/n drop in
gp moto silencer delete

Here’s an underhood picture for reference:

Closer view:

Purchased from: www.e-autosports.com
Manufacturer: www.sunautomobile.com
Old 05-18-2005, 12:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by timeless
My skepticism of spending money on a mod such as this was prompted throughout the years by watching people waste their money on shiny wires to make their engine compartments look cool.
Soooo, are you going to explain the performance characteristics of your Prodrive oil filler cap and battery tie-down, that shiny (but stock diameter) intake pipe and your spotlessly-clean engine bay? After all, you're not one to be taken in by looks and bling vs. actual performance!

I'm just having some fun with you -- don't take offense. I am, however, concerned by the idea of a grounding kit that features a little mystery box and that connects to both the positive and negative terminals of the battery.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:06 PM

I swear I knew I was going to take some hits on those parts by showing a shot of my engine bay. I lost my oil cap on my previous car so instead of paying the dealer how ever much it was going to cost I spent the money on a better looking Prodrive one (yes, with bling in mind). Second, I was in Hong Kong and got a killer deal on the Zerosports Intake pipe that no one would have passed up. :P But who's defending themselves? I like how fast my car is at this point to know that utilizing my funds in this manner is the direction I want to head towards. IMO, 300whp is my goal and beyond that drivabilty/suspension would be my pursuit.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 wrx
The cyberspeed was installed on my car and my bike recently. It definitely made some significant difference. My idle was really bad until I placed the voltage kit.
Ferdie
Old 05-19-2005, 02:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by timeless
I swear I knew I was going to take some hits on those parts by showing a shot of my engine bay.

What is the little blue box supposed to do? Did it come with that matching blue mounting plate?
Old 05-21-2005, 10:20 AM

From SUN:

The H.V.S. Cyber Speed Version is designed to stabilize voltage in your vehicle for maximum battery efficiency, allowing its full potential to be released. H.V.S. Cyber Speed Version provides both function and stylish appearance; units are designed to fit perfectly for your vehicle, with specialized brackets and three additional grounding cables. The most secure and reliable mounting locations have been determined by our engineering and design team, to ensure an easy installation and excellent performance. An LED on the unit also operates as a system monitor, to alert you when your battery may need service or replacement.
Applications: Subaru Impreza WRX/STi (GDA/GDF '03+)/ Nissan 350Z ('02+) / Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution ('03+)