Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

STI EJ25T vs WRX EJ25T

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 07:49 AM

STI EJ25T vs WRX EJ25T

What's the difference between EJ25Ts in the STI and the 2006 WRX (other than horsepower)?
Old 08-15-2005, 04:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
bigger turbo/bigger intercooler/better tuning on the sti

oh yeah and 6speed tranny
Old 08-16-2005, 06:39 PM

Same block, heads, cams, variable valve timing, and all? So all it takes to make a WRX into an STI is turbo, intercooler and tuning? If that's true, they better make plenty of extra STI turbos 'cause every WRX owner will want one.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by blue5spdwrxwgn
Same block, heads, cams, variable valve timing, and all? So all it takes to make a WRX into an STI is turbo, intercooler and tuning? If that's true, they better make plenty of extra STI turbos 'cause every WRX owner will want one.

oh and you still got suspension, different body kit, and as for making more turbos you can easily slap in a vf34 and get similiar results of a vf39. but to be honest bro i have done the comparison and math your better off spending the money on and sti than to fix up a wrx to become an sti you will actually spend more money and time vs just buying the sti the first time...i should know thats why i traded in my 03 wrx for my current 05 sti
Old 09-05-2005, 05:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Originally Posted by 4080wrx
oh and you still got suspension, different body kit, and as for making more turbos you can easily slap in a vf34 and get similiar results of a vf39. but to be honest bro i have done the comparison and math your better off spending the money on and sti than to fix up a wrx to become an sti you will actually spend more money and time vs just buying the sti the first time...i should know thats why i traded in my 03 wrx for my current 05 sti
perhaps... then there are some of us who recognize the undertuned nature of the 2006 powerplant and will find ourselves more than sate with freeing up exhaust flow via uppipe, dp, and exhaust, and letting cobb handle the tuning safely... while having a sunroof and leather and other amenities such as sound deadening that we may take for granted in the WRX...

Truthfully, I see the STi as the raw, hard edged, unrefined sports car with all the *****... The WRX is its younger brother, a bit more refined, but has the same spirit within... It depends on ones needs.. some of us like a comfortable commuter with an extra kick, others like the hard edges badboy STi

I believe Subaru left a lot on the table with the WRX, and the aftermarket tuners will definitely enjoy tinkering with this little guy! I hope to pick up a black 06 limited soon... I almost picked up a VW R32, but then heard about the leather and the sunroof... and again told myself i would have withdrawals if I bought a non-boosted car. haha!
Old 09-05-2005, 10:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Black WRX STI
Sorry about the stupid question but is the 06 WRX a 2.5L like the STI?

I know that the 05 WRX and 05 STI are massivly different - different block all the way up to the pistons and cams...
Old 09-05-2005, 10:30 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by depdivr

I know that the 05 WRX and 05 STI are massivly different - different block all the way up to the pistons and cams...
They're a much more similiar but not the same. (i.e. an STi intercooler and VF39 won't make them the same)
Old 09-05-2005, 12:59 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing

its the same corporate 2.5 block, Forester, Legacy, STi, RS (aka 2.5i), and now WRX
Old 09-05-2005, 05:55 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jdepould
its the same corporate 2.5 block, Forester, Legacy, STi, RS (aka 2.5i), and now WRX

Really??? Thats a huge upgrade for the 06 WRX - Fuji Heavy Industries really stepped up. What are the new HP specs on the WRX? Did they keep the same turbo? If so, spool up must be instant with all that exhaust pushing it - same time, high end power must suck.

I would love to hear more...
Old 09-05-2005, 06:01 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Really??? Thats a huge upgrade for the 06 WRX - Fuji Heavy Industries really stepped up. What are the new HP specs on the WRX? Did they keep the same turbo? If so, spool up must be instant with all that exhaust pushing it - same time, high end power must suck.

230 hp/235 tq
Old 09-10-2005, 11:51 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s

indeed it is, to make a good buisness case for creating the EJ25T they decided they would use it in EVERYTHING they made, and just use differnt turbos/intercooler/tuning to suit whatever amount of power in whatever car they were going to use it in. Ive spent hours at Gruppe-S tearing apart motors, US and JDM, checking and comparing specs, and I can tell you even the JDM EJ25Ts are the exact same as the US, even down the the cam profiles! This is the only Subaru longblock that is the exact same in Japan as it is in the US.

Seeing as I would ditch the stock turbo and intercooler regardless of WRX or STI, and I would just swap out suspension and upgrade the wheels and brakes anyways, if I was buying now I probably would get a WRX over the STI, I think the extra 8K to spend on mods would get me over the the loss of the extra gear
Old 09-11-2005, 08:40 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Krinkov
indeed it is, to make a good buisness case for creating the EJ25T they decided they would use it in EVERYTHING they made, and just use differnt turbos/intercooler/tuning to suit whatever amount of power in whatever car they were going to use it in. Ive spent hours at Gruppe-S tearing apart motors, US and JDM, checking and comparing specs, and I can tell you even the JDM EJ25Ts are the exact same as the US, even down the the cam profiles! This is the only Subaru longblock that is the exact same in Japan as it is in the US.

Seeing as I would ditch the stock turbo and intercooler regardless of WRX or STI, and I would just swap out suspension and upgrade the wheels and brakes anyways, if I was buying now I probably would get a WRX over the STI, I think the extra 8K to spend on mods would get me over the the loss of the extra gear
Are they still making the JDM Legacy 2.5 L closed block? I always thought that a very cool swap is the cosed block, stroked up to 2.8 L with forged pistons, knife edged, etc.

Are all the USDM 2.5s long blocks? In 2005, the legacy block was a 2.5 L short block - did they change this in 2006?

Anyway, I agree with you - if the 06 WRX has the same 2.5 L Long Block (it is still an open block right?), I would also go with a WRX.

Cool info. Thanks
Old 09-11-2005, 05:27 PM

Are they still making the JDM Legacy 2.5 L closed block? I always thought that a very cool swap is the cosed block, stroked up to 2.8 L with forged pistons, knife edged, etc.

Are all the USDM 2.5s long blocks? In 2005, the legacy block was a 2.5 L short block - did they change this in 2006?

Anyway, I agree with you - if the 06 WRX has the same 2.5 L Long Block (it is still an open block right?), I would also go with a WRX.

Cool info. Thanks
I think your definition of 'longblock' and 'shortblock' is off. Shortblock simply means the assembled bottom end of a motor, block/pistons/rods/crank. Longblock means shortblock plus heads assembled. Every motor in every car is technically a longblock, unless it hasno heads!

As for a hot motor, if you want a REAL cool legacy swap, grab a EZ30R(3.0 6 cyl NA) from Gruppe-s, they are selling them next to new for about $1500. These bolt right up to our 6-speed and even our motor mounts! they are only 1.5" longer than the EJ25 and fit right in the engine bay even with the stock fans in place. drop the compression from 10.5/1 to around 8.5/1 with a set of CPs, now all you have to fabricate is a set of headers and down pipes to run a pair of Garrett GT28RS's. Ecutek even makes a flash for the EZ30R ECU so you can get it tuned for turbo anywhere that can tune Ecuteks. The EZ30R weights 70lbs more then the EJ25, the easiest way to balance this out is to move the battery(35lbs) to the trunk, for a total weight transfer of 70lbs front to back. If it sounds like I know quite a bit about all this I should, but thats all Im saying about it for now
Old 09-11-2005, 06:56 PM
VIP Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Krinkov
I think your definition of 'longblock' and 'shortblock' is off. Shortblock simply means the assembled bottom end of a motor, block/pistons/rods/crank. Longblock means shortblock plus heads assembled. Every motor in every car is technically a longblock, unless it hasno heads!

As for a hot motor, if you want a REAL cool legacy swap, grab a EZ30R(3.0 6 cyl NA) from Gruppe-s, they are selling them next to new for about $1500. These bolt right up to our 6-speed and even our motor mounts! they are only 1.5" longer than the EJ25 and fit right in the engine bay even with the stock fans in place. drop the compression from 10.5/1 to around 8.5/1 with a set of CPs, now all you have to fabricate is a set of headers and down pipes to run a pair of Garrett GT28RS's. Ecutek even makes a flash for the EZ30R ECU so you can get it tuned for turbo anywhere that can tune Ecuteks. The EZ30R weights 70lbs more then the EJ25, the easiest way to balance this out is to move the battery(35lbs) to the trunk, for a total weight transfer of 70lbs front to back. If it sounds like I know quite a bit about all this I should, but thats all Im saying about it for now
I know some guys who are already doing this in Portland. I don't know how confidential it is so I won't say more. All I know is that a brand new 06 STI has been selected for the swap.

Krinkov - where are you from? Shop association? Oh, how do you feel about Perrin parts? Just wondering...
Old 09-11-2005, 08:33 PM

I know some guys who are already doing this in Portland. I don't know how confidential it is so I won't say more. All I know is that a brand new 06 STI has been selected for the swap.

Krinkov - where are you from? Shop association? Oh, how do you feel about Perrin parts? Just wondering...

Yeah I know PDX bought 5 or 6 of these motors from Gruppe-S, and yeah that s where I do all my work too. Couple other places are also doing EZ30R builds, keep an eye out, should be interesting

Perrin makes alot of good parts, what were you looking for?

Quick Reply: STI EJ25T vs WRX EJ25T