Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Protune shops

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
Originally Posted by 05slprwrx
FLI ftw. Have had my car tuned there from stage one to where it sits now with close to 330whp and always a great experience with the Guy's at fine line. Miles is a great tuner and even has been tuning in China and equador recently.
Yes Miles does great work, he's heading out to China again next week! Once he gets back I'm getting my Exhaust done! Going to drags this week? What your setup?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 AM

Car Info: 2005 STI
+1 on Fine Line. I was there this morning talking to Ryan about installing some gauges. They tuned my stage 2 '05 STI, 285whp and 310wtq and I still average over 20mpg driving not so conservatively! You wont regret it!

Last edited by NOBIGG; 06-13-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by NOBIGG
+1 on Fine Line. I was there this morning talking to Ryan about installing some gauges. They tuned my stage 2 '05 STI, 285whp and 310wtq and I still average over 20mpgs driving not so conservatively! You wont regret it!
What gauges you thinking about? I have wanted to get some myself! I'm just worried about the Police! Around Petaluma they try to get yah for anything! They see gauges it gives them a reason to hassle you! Why I am going to do exhaust cutout, cop told me next time it's a REF ticket. They see that APS can hanging out the back and they pull me over!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:42 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI
Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
What gauges you thinking about? I have wanted to get some myself! I'm just worried about the Police! Around Petaluma they try to get yah for anything! They see gauges it gives them a reason to hassle you! Why I am going to do exhaust cutout, cop told me next time it's a REF ticket. They see that APS can hanging out the back and they pull me over!
I bought the Prosports. Mechanical Boost, Oil Pressure, and EGT and the ATI clock pod. I already installed the boost gauge and wired the three up, but Im having FLI tap the header and oil pan. Surprisingly enough I have never been hassled by Rohnert Park PD or anyone really. Lucky for me, my car is registered in Idaho so I dont think they really want to bother.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:49 PM

Car Info: 2005 wrx.330whp,290wtq
Yes Miles does great work, he's heading out to China again next week! Once he gets back I'm getting my Exhaust done! Going to drags this week? What your setup?
I run an 18g with methanol and supporting mods. I was thinking about heading to the drags Wednesday yea
Old 06-15-2011, 08:41 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by sigma pi
Best post of this thread.
it gets the thumbs up from sigma pi.

Dyna pack
Dyno jet

you want the load bearing dyno like the mustang.
Most dynos these days are load bearing except for dyno jets. Mustang, dynapaks, dyno dynamics, Dynocom, and even dynomites are load bearing. They all read differently of course, but it's not about the absolute numbers but rather about the consistency and repeatability of the equipment that's important. Remember the dyno is only a tool. Just like with any other tool, it's all about how you use it.

-- Ed
Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by BOHICA
GST OR FLI, the other one mentioned...not in the same league..JMO
Nice... And you base this opinion on what exactly?

-- Ed
Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Most dynos these days are load bearing except for dyno jets. Mustang, dynapaks, dyno dynamics, Dynocom, and even dynomites are load bearing. They all read differently of course, but it's not about the absolute numbers but rather about the consistency and repeatability of the equipment that's important. Remember the dyno is only a tool. Just like with any other tool, it's all about how you use it.

-- Ed
If they are load bearing dyno's why do they read so different? Im sure it has to do with how its calibrated! The Mustang dyno always has the most realistic numbers? Ed your dyno seems closes to a mustang dyno, I have noticed your torque always looks on the higher side.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

If they are load bearing dyno's why do they read so different? Im sure it has to do with how its calibrated! The Mustang dyno always has the most realistic numbers? Ed your dyno seems closes to a mustang dyno, I have noticed your torque always looks on the higher side.
The reason they all read differently is that they use different methods to measure/calculate power and they all use different calibrations. The operator of ANY dyno can make it read however they want. So even different Mustang dynos will read differently from each other. Cobb's Mustang dynos for example, read higher than most others because of the way they're calibrated.

As far as what numbers are most "realistic", that's tough to say and largely a matter of opinion. This brings the point again that none of the numbers should be looked at as absolutes but rather compared to baseline numbers. The % change is the important part.

My dyno specifically, reads more like a dynojet in its natural state. Since I was always used to lower numbers from my road dyno software which reads similar to most Mustangs, I run a .85 correction factor on my Dynocom to make it read like the lower reading Mustang dynos.

As far as the torque being higher, that has to do with several factors. One major factor is the style of tuning. I like to try to maximize the area under the curve which often means having a higher torque peak. My tunes have always had better than average torque because of this. Another factor is the resolution of the dyno. A dyno that has greater resolution will be able to measure quick torque peak and show it in on the graph. With lower resolution, that torque peak will be averaged over and the resulting peak number will be lower. The final factor that is similar to resolution is the smoothing/filtering value that the dyno operator uses. When more smoothing is applied to the graph, any quick torque peak will also get smoothed over and the peak value will be lower. I generally run minimal smoothing on my dyno which in turn shows more resolution to the graph and will show a quick torque peak that would otherwise get averaged over.

I hope this all makes sense. Its important to remember that none of this is necessarily right/wrong, they are just different methods and tools we use as tuners to try to provide the best results for our customers.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-15-2011, 11:35 AM

^^^^^^^ good info! I understand that a dyno is just numbers, most don't think that way! I think if you had 3 different good tuners tune the same car on the same dyno they all would be very close in numbers! I don't think that one tuner can get a extra 50whp out of the car running same boost! Most check out dyno numbers and think wow that 20g has 50whp more then mine with same PSI and same turbo and setup but different tuner and dyno! I know ever tuner has different ways of going about things, all similar in the long run if dealing with a good protuner! Ed knows his ****.......
Old 06-15-2011, 12:29 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

You're correct... most good tuners will end up with roughly the same peak power numbers given the same setup. What can vary, however, is how the power comes in, the general drivability of the car, the response, the consistency, the idle, etc.

-- Ed
Old 06-15-2011, 12:54 PM

Car Info: Type 53
Originally Posted by BOHICA
GST OR FLI, the other one mentioned...not in the same league..JMO
I smell a troll
Old 06-15-2011, 06:42 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning

-- Ed
^^^This post get a thumbs up from SR20steve for the most useful post.

People should forget about numbers, they really mean nothing. Taking a baseline and graphing gains and losses with a given tune is the only benefit of a dyno as Ed said, its just a tool to consistently measure. If you want to show off some crazy dynograph to someone and then make your own on photoshop, lol. Take your car to the track those numbers will tell you how fast your car is, realistically.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 PM

Car Info: 07 sti
Originally Posted by GimmeTQ
hey people, i'm trying to find the best shop to get my car protuned at. so far the best place i've heard of near me is GST Motorsports. i live in the bay area (san jose)

if anyone can refer a good place that would be awesome, thanks guys.
eq tuning for sure!!!
or try mayhem tuning from reno. he'll come to you and road tune. he just tuned my 07 e85 sti
Old 06-19-2011, 04:19 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by 408sti07
eq tuning for sure!!!
or try mayhem tuning from reno. he'll come to you and road tune. he just tuned my 07 e85 sti
I don't think Corey comes to the bay area on a regular basis. I actually trained him quite a bit about a year ago

-- Ed

Quick Reply: Protune shops