Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

oil filter leaking, subaru changed my oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 01:12 PM

oil filter leaking, subaru changed my oil

i was on the lift yesturday check my water lines for my turbo everything looked good, the i look at the oil filter its leaking oil!!! it looks as if it was cross threaded. i didnt try to touch it i just wiped off the oil then today i check it again and it was surly leaking....what happens if my oil cilter plug was cross threaded is it an easy fix? im very dissapointed right about now.

my brother with a jeep told me they might have tot ake the block off if the bolt is cross threaded, is this true?
Old 10-02-2005, 09:38 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Your local dealer changed the oil?
How long ago?
Get it towed back & have 'em look at it.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Black WRX STI
Damn, you have to really try to f**K things up to cross thread an oil filter, generally they go on really easy or not at all. I am guessing that your oil filter seal may have a cut or crack. I would drain the oil, slowly back the filter off the block and take a look at the threads on the filter. Also put your pinky into the block and rub around the threads, if you see metal filings from the block or the filter or see any tears on the threads I would have it checked profesionaly. If you don't see any torn metal or tears on the threads, put on a new oil filter, oil up the seal before you put it on and fill her back up with oil. Check again for leaks.

Thats what any mechanic would do.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:14 AM

Umm, is it tight?
Old 10-16-2005, 12:58 PM

its no biggy if ur oil filter thread is f up u just get a 22 or 24mm and unscrew the whole thread with the nut u have ,and but an new one and screw it on. Its just like replacing a stude.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:56 PM

Car Info: 06 STI WRB/Gold
Do you have one of those new white oil filters cause there was a batch that was recalled for leaking around the o-ring. Subaru said it was a bad batch. I bought one from the dealership and found out that there was a recall on three filter #'s.

F08
F09
F10

You will find this number printed on the top of the filter. I took mine back and got a new one.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by RBMike
Umm, is it tight?
You can actually overtighten the oil filter and it will leak. You must watch for the "crush washer" -- it is designed to get squashed during the install, but it is possible to crush it so badly that it will leak.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:45 PM

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX STi Blue/Silver
Originally Posted by meilers
You can actually overtighten the oil filter and it will leak. You must watch for the "crush washer" -- it is designed to get squashed during the install, but it is possible to crush it so badly that it will leak.
The crush washer does not go between the oil filter and block! It goes between the oil plug and oil pan.

I'd check on the filter. I've heard rumors about the new ones leaking too.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:19 PM

Car Info: 2005 Obsidian Black Pearl STi
i remember reading that there was a recall on OIL FILTERS recently. source was from one of the NASIOC threads. ask your dealer about it.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:56 PM
The Seventh Sister

Car Info: MY04 Forester XT
Here's the bulletin that SoA sent to all dealerships:

Please be advised that oil filter, part number 15208AA09A, may potentially exhibit a small amount of seepage that is noticed during the installation process.

Although the seepage is slight, we are requesting that all inventory of this part number be removed from your stock immediately. Return instructions will be posted to ..... shortly.
Only the 3 batches numbered F08, F09, and F10 were affected, so if you have one of those filters your dealer should be replacing it free of charge.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:13 PM

Car Info: POS
As others have pointed out some of the new filters are having seeping problems. This is not a recall item and SOA is only sending notices to the dealers to send those above-mentioned filters back. Go to your local dealer and buy a new filter. You might get a free filter, but they are under no obligation to do so. Don't go in there demanding a new filter and acting like a raped ape.