Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

NOS on 04 STI

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Give it a try, what's the worst thing that can happen.........?
Old 01-19-2004, 11:54 PM

Car Info: .............................................................................
There is a great deal of misinformation in this thread.

If I were interested in running a bottle I would be talking to Carguy19....
Old 01-20-2004, 02:23 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Running nitrous (not NOS, that's a brand name. It's like calling every AWD car a Subaru) is no different than making any other change to your car. It requires some research, some knowledge, and some wisdom to be done properly. When that is done, it's no riskier than a big turbo, injectors, and a fuel pump. Here are my reasons for choosing bolt-ons over a well-thought out small nitrous kit, particularly a full turbo-back exhaust:

-exhaust doesn't have to be refilled
-you can't use nitrous anywhere but the dragstrip (or street, if you're that type). Autocross organizations and most racetracks don't allow bottles on the premises for safety reasons
-including the cost of filling the bottle every so often, installing your own exhaust is cheaper
-you ALWAYS have the gains from the exhaust under your foot when you want them

I view nitrous as a tool for people who drag race somewhat competitively, and have already made significant mods to their car. Certainly it's the simplest way to take large cuts from your ETs. However, I always have to ask: if drag racing is your thing, why are you starting with a Subaru?
Old 01-20-2004, 08:57 AM

Car Info: Evo 8 and WRX (sold)
Why would you put nos on a sti? Isn't nos just for drag racing?
Old 01-20-2004, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Carguy19
I respect you guys whether you use it or not, but a TBE won't cut your 1/4 mile time by .7-.8 of a second
I disagree. But as I tried to clarify, nitrous really only benefits you at the dragstrip. And why start with a $30k Subaru to build a drag car out of, even mildly? Granted, the STi isn't that bad at it, but still... it has disadvantages.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:25 PM

I understand where you are coming from- drag racing is king in areas where there simply aren't enough racetracks. But I say again, if drag racing is your goal, why start with a Subaru, even an STi? Two wheel drive cars have the advantage here. Prime example: the Neon SRT and Sentra SE-R have about the same displacement to work with, weigh 400 pounds less soaking wet, and have less drivetrain loss. Oh yeah, they're about half the price. How fast can you make a car with $15k to spend on mods? But that's really besides the point, and I hate championing cars that aren't Subarus for any task.
I've seen what WRXs and STis put down on stock turbos. By the way, there is no Utec for the STi. The only option available for it is the Vishnu Xede at the moment, though EcuTek reflashes should be available in 2-3 months. Anyways, you are unlikely to see an STi in the 11s on the stock turbo. It's just too small. And this claim:

Originally posted by Carguy19
I respect you guys whether you use it or not, but a TBE won't cut your 1/4 mile time by .7-.8 of a second
is true at stock power levels, but when you are pushing 350 hp to the wheels, a 50 shot is NOT worth 7/10ths of a second. The Law of Diminishing Returns applies quite heavily to the horsepower/ET reduction ratio.

Anyways, I do not wish to discourage the use of nitrous, period. Rather, I try to steer people who would be better served by bolt-on mods away from it. Yes, it is an efficient power adder for the strip, but it's not ideal for a car that is driven hard regularly or for extended periods. Readers of this forum hail from all over the country (the world really), from urban jungles to midwestern plains, from Colorado mountains to SoCal beaches. It is a minority of readers of this forum who would MOST benefit from using nitrous, those who use their cars for little more than straight line speed. The addition of a TBE (ranging from as little as $800 to as much as $1600) and a reflash ($5-600 once they are available) are really all an STi needs to be a truly fast car, and most benefits those who wish to go fast for more than a few moments at a time. I consider a low 12 second AWD car to be truly fast, especially when the drag strip is not the only place it performs well at .

Now, speaking strictly for myself, when you ask if I think a 10 second car is impressive- well, no. I think street cars that crack 2:00 at Sears Point are impressive. I've seen some pretty ghetto cars that are capable of running 10s- it's not hard. All it takes is a car and about $6000 in engine mods. You don't have to know anything really.

Anyways, back on topic (shame on me). The original poster asked if it was bad to put a 50 shot on an STi. Well, no, it's just not necessarily the most useful mod for a lot of people to make.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:23 AM

Car Info: Blue STi +Red del Sol VTEC
Respect on the street comes in a straight line battle. Nobodies comparing their lap times at different tracks if **** is being talked it's settled in a straight line. An STi intended for dragging which mine is better see 9's. It's going to take some time waiting for certain parts of the puzzle to be brought to market but the STi is like a skyline it has the potential to run 8's in the 1/4 on street tires.

AWD used to be king a t one time in drag racing but it was promptly banned by the NHRA.

With NO2 11's are very easy on the stock turbo. I won't use it though until i'm getting 10's on turbo alone then hopefully i'll get that extra push into the 9's. Hello nomex
Old 01-26-2004, 01:54 PM

Street racing is bad, mmmkay kids?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
carguy where are you from? im in west nyack

i believe on the first page you said that larger injectors would not be needed with a 50 shot...i've heard that the stock injectors are already running about 90% ....ahh i cant think of the proper term...but anyway i think you can see why im confused?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:21 AM

Car Info: Blue STi +Red del Sol VTEC
A wet nitrous kit doesn't use your injectors to feed the fuel. Your fuel pump has to be up to the task.