Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

New '05 STI owner -- TONS of questions :-)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 09:04 PM

Thumbs up New '05 STI owner -- TONS of questions :-)

Hey all,

Happy to find a great group of enthusiasts here. I sold my VW R32 recently and yesterday drove home in my new silver '05 STI. Put 250 miles on it today just tooling around and inching my way towards the magical 1k mile mark so I can open it up a bit more. (Yes, I believe in the factory break-in period)

Anyway...some questions:

1) Rubber floor mats -- my STI came with "STI floor mats" which are non-logo blue mats which I don't like. Is there an equivalent to the rubber Monster Mats I had in my R32?

(http://www.monstermarketplace.com/re...nster-mats.gif)

2) Boost gauge -- I didn't want the dash mounted gauge pack, but would like a nice high quality tasteful boost gauge. Any recommendations? What is the install like?

3) Is the factory subwoofer worth the money? It's only like $125 right? The factory system is possibly the worst sound system I've ever heard, so I'm wondering if it's just better off putting my $125 towards a completely new system.

4) Headliner rattle -- sucks. Coming from the passenger side rear. Assuming the dealer can fix this. No other rattles so far...gotta love the NVH warnings in the owner's manual, though.

Anyway, LOVING the car, sooooo much fun. Can't believe it's this much fun even though I'm taking it easy. Thanks guys, looking forward to your input.

// Bates
Old 02-21-2005, 11:29 PM
tim

here are some things to check out:

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subint.htm

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...hp/cPath/59_60
Old 02-22-2005, 12:01 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRB WRX
Id agree that the factory stereo is the worst on the planet. Id go with some basic coaxial speakers, head unit, aftermarket sub, and two amps. One for the speakers and one for the sub. I think you will be very satisfied unless your one of those stereo freaks. Forgot an indash eq, makes all the difference and they are cheap.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
I agree, the oem collumn boost gauge is just worthless...

the defi hood and defi BF link guages are a nice touch, but not cheap.

the Subaru rubber mats suck, they have nothing to hold them in place except tiny worthless spikes that do nothing.

the best mats are the old canadian STi mats, which have a lousy carpet material, but have two hooks, one near the trunk/gas door levers, and one near the tranny tunnel, to better secure them in the car.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:03 AM

WOW those Defi gauges are pricey. Must be the trendy brand to have. Is there something high quality but lower price that you guys would recommend?
Old 02-22-2005, 09:57 AM

Car Info: 2004 STi
Originally Posted by cruzSTI
WOW those Defi gauges are pricey. Must be the trendy brand to have. Is there something high quality but lower price that you guys would recommend?
I am running Greddy Gauges.

I have a boost guage in the AVO Pod(which mounts on dash near your A-pillar, and I have EGT and Oil Press in the AutoMeter Bezel Pod. I love them. They light up green, which for me matches my Stereo and Turbo timer perfectly.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:53 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by cruzSTI
Some of the typical brands I see in a lot of Imprezas include: DEFI, GReddy, Omori, and Blitz. I use GReddy's myself. Stay clear of the Autometer gauges as I have heard too many horror stories.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:00 PM

I use Weathertech floor mats.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:33 PM
tim

The retard I bought my latest impreza from had Autometer. TOTAL CRAP! I took them off right away. I hear that Omori are really good. I also hear that GReddy are good.