Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

My 270WHP Christmas Present

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 11:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Thumbs up

All I can say is...sweet!

oh...and see you at the track!

Great numbers Egan and great Christmas Prez.

Late,

Lowball
Old 12-06-2004, 10:54 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by fast_xr4
Dig the power numbers but...

Did you spend $2k+ on an exhaust and increase in boost? Not to knock the nice TBE.

Seems like those numbers have been done with a boost cut defender and a decent downpipe.

I would like to know if the tune does more than turn up boost and what Vishnu does if anything to keep the CEL's in check. Do they rework the air/fuel and up the speed limiter as well?

Again nice numbers - let us know more about what you purchased. Their website isn't up to date on the '05 offering.
This is an ECUtek reflash of the stock ECU accompanied by dyno testing and tuning. It is not simply turning up the boost. All performance parameters are adjusted to increase power and also increase driveability and safety. Timing, knock correction, boost, open/closed loop switchover, and fueling are all changed. If you look at the second graph, you will see the A/F numbers along with boost.

What the dyno graphs can't relay is the increase in driveability. Having boost available at lower RPMs and the increase in torque make the car much more fun to drive on the street. Those same increases will make for awesome exits on the corners on the track and the higher hp numbers will make the straights even more fun.

The point is that just turning up the boost may give you some increases, but they will be unstable and unsafe (ie: engine runs lean, causes knock, engine goes kaboom). The different performance parameters work together to make a powerful and safe engine.

Let me know if you need any more specifics.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
Looking good Mike, 270whp ain't nothing to sneeze at
Old 12-09-2004, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by BlackedOutSTi
Yes great numbers and one question. Since I'm lucky enuff not to live in Cali (or maybe not lol?) and have access to 93 and even 94 octane here in Ohio, do you think I could squeeze 300 whp out of stage 1? Also, was there any major factor in you choosing the ECUtek vs. the XEDE?
You would have to ask Vishnu on the 93/94 (lucky bastard) question.

I chose the reflash because I think it is a more complete system. The Xede would be nice for the map switching abilities for my track days, but the ECUtek offers a more controllable tune.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:05 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by BlackedOutSTi
Can a dealer "detect" ECUtek reflashes and if so, will that cause warranty "issues" should they arise?
If it's not the stock map, then yes- but they have to be looking for it specifically, and if they are, they probably already have a reason to try to deny your claim. If you do a mail-order reflash, make sure you're very careful when you reinstall the ECU to put everything back exactly like it goes- every pop rivet, every corner of the carpet tucked, etc. As long as you don't have other "red flag" mods, like a boost controller, intake, or downpipe, you should be okay.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:58 PM

You need to do a lot more research on tuning Subaru motors my friend. You just contradicted every credible tuner out there.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:09 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by Egan
I'll have a complete write-up on my site this weekend: http://mikeegan.stormpages.com/stihome.html
Hey Mike. I like your STI and what you have done to it. However, that link
seems to be broken. It worked before and I was able to check out what you
did and all the great photos. Are you going into stealth mode with your
STi?? I see that it's no longer showing up on the top level page
Old 12-15-2004, 12:50 PM

Stormpages took a puke. The homepages reverted to older versions and all of the STi pages and a few of the WRX ones have disappeared. I can't even log into my stormpages account so I think they have gone bust. I;m looking for a new host, but realistically it will be a couple of weeks before I get something up again.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:45 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
That's too bad. I hope you have backups of all your work. I was going to use your pages to
help me with the silencer delete mod, but by the time I got the pipe, your page was gone
It ended up being not very complicated so no big deal. It is nice to see the step by step
photos and I enjoy reading what other people do to their cars. let us know when it comes
back online so I can dream about my next change
Old 12-15-2004, 05:23 PM

Car Info: Sold my 05 Evo...Carless for a while...then 05' WRB STi whenever lol :(
I want to go with the Xede instead of a reflash
can I acheive 300whp with a Vishnu Stage 1 on 93 octane?

EDIT:
wait...im a bit confused...
the ECUtek
is it a reflash or a complete programable system like the Xede?

Last edited by qbbraveheart; 12-15-2004 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by qbbraveheart
I want to go with the Xede instead of a reflash
can I acheive 300whp with a Vishnu Stage 1 on 93 octane?

EDIT:
wait...im a bit confused...
the ECUtek
is it a reflash or a complete programable system like the Xede?
No, power would be the same.

The EcuTek reflash is a reprogramming of the stock ECU. Not a piggyback or standalone.

Quick Reply: My 270WHP Christmas Present