Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Might change turbo to VF34, would i notice a difference in power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 08:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: the blue bucket
Typically you have to use the pill supplied in the T line with the turbo and not the one that is on the car from the factory, maintaining 17-18psi levels with low (40-60%) duty cycles should not be a problem.

And yes I have controlled boost on a STI with the EcuTek on a ported and polished VF34 it worked as expected.

Mike
Old 01-02-2005, 08:10 PM

Car Info: 04 STi blk cloaked team blew member
Originally Posted by UK n00b
Typically you have to use the pill supplied in the T line with the turbo and not the one that is on the car from the factory, maintaining 17-18psi levels with low (40-60%) duty cycles should not be a problem.

And yes I have controlled boost on a STI with the EcuTek on a ported and polished VF34 it worked as expected.

Mike
ok lets say you have, Who provided you with the correct pill size ?ans was" Still Will" Matt running a Ecutek when he made those numbers.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by xicema17x
I was doing some research on buying my mods for my STI, and i kinda thought of instead of paying all that money to buy a full turboback w/o cats and header, why dont i buy a new turbo instead. I just wanted an idea if i did change the turbo.
don't waste money on a VF34 if you want a new turbo upgrade do a real upgrade you will be much happier. unless you are going to do all the work youself it is not worth it. your VF39 is just as good as the 34.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:13 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mw1029h
ok lets say you have, Who provided you with the correct pill size ?ans was" Still Will" Matt running a Ecutek when he made those numbers.
I have no idea who Still Will (Matt) is so I would have no idea.

IHI Japan provided me with the pill size.

Mike
Old 01-02-2005, 08:19 PM
VIP Member

Also FWIW the only time we have encountered problems with pill size on IHI turbo's is when someone uses the stock pill not the one that comes with the turbo. This is the case ported or not.

I have seen turbo's that have been ported especially people porting the wastegate where they have openned up the wastegate port a little too much causing a poor seal on the flapper which makes boost fall on it's face or not happen at all.

Mike
Old 01-02-2005, 08:21 PM

I have no idea who Still Will (Matt) is so I would have no idea.

IHI Japan provided me with the pill size.

Mike
Ok Well that explains it but let me ask you this have you been able to use that pill on every VF34 for VF39 in a Sti you have done? and how many have you done. I purchased my Sti in 02/04 the swap was done 4/04 when was your first one done ? There was away around my situation but I didn't want a boost controller. So I changed back and sold the 34 because this is what you do someone researched the problem and solved it with the help of Japan techs. that's great!!! but is it worth doing No
Old 01-02-2005, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Krinkov
hoo boy,
Your new here so I guess you dont know who your trying to flame, but Mike is the in house dyno tuner for Gruppe-s and has more experience making power out of Subys with every combination of turbos and mods than 99.9% of the other talking heads on this forum. So um, yes he does know a bit more about what hes talking about than you or I and does not pass on any info that he has heard and not experienced.

And as for searching NASIOC, you might just run across my post in the 2.5 forum where I put down 276whp/307wtq on a tuned P+Pd VF34, and Matt (Still Will) put down 279whp/323wtq on a tuned P+Pd VF34. So yes, you can make a bit of power with a properly tuned P+Pd VF34

cheers
is Still Will using a Ecutek??? No he is not
Old 01-02-2005, 08:29 PM
VIP Member

Ok Well that explains it but let me ask you this have you been able to use that pill on every VF34 for VF39 in a Sti you have done? and how many have you done. I purchased my Sti in 02/04 the swap was done 4/04 when was your first one done ? There was away around my situation but I didn't want a boost controller. So I changed back and sold the 34 because this is what you do someone researched the problem and solved it with the help of Japan techs. that's great!!! but is it worth doing No
I think the first VF34 on a STI we tuned was in October, we used the same pill we always use on VF34 installs and tunes. When I said IHI Japan I was refer to the fact that the pill comes with the turbo.

Again as I mentioned earlier I would not personally put a VF34 on a STI unless I had one of the first batch as it would seem of late that there is little difference in the turbo's (As per the information in BAN SUVS post above).

Like I mentioned earlier, get a decent exhaust system and fuel pump. If you still want to upgrade your turbo I would probably ignore the entire IHI/VF line up.

Mike
Old 01-02-2005, 08:31 PM

Talking

Anyway its usually pretty quite around here so its good to get something good going, but I will standby my statements and Just because someone is new around here that doesn't necessarily mean they haven't had any experience with the Subaru.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:32 PM

I think the first VF34 on a STI we tuned was in October, we used the same pill we always use on VF34 installs and tunes. When I said IHI Japan I was refer to the fact that the pill comes with the turbo.

Again as I mentioned earlier I would not personally put a VF34 on a STI unless I had one of the first batch as it would seem of late that there is little difference in the turbo's (As per the information in BAN SUVS post above).

Like I mentioned earlier, get a decent exhaust system and fuel pump. If you still want to upgrade your turbo I would probably ignore the entire IHI/VF line up.

Mike
I totally agree Mike and my name is Marc nice to met you Sr.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:41 PM
VIP Member

Anyway its usually pretty quite around here so its good to get something good going, but I will standby my statements and Just because someone is new around here that doesn't necessarily mean they haven't had any experience with the Subaru.
Yep I know plenty of folks concidered new around here that know more than most, I think very little of post counts to be honest but some folks may take a low one as new and limited knowledge, sad but true.

Nice to meet you too Marc, how was the end results of your tune with what you have now?

Mike
Old 01-02-2005, 08:46 PM

Yep I know plenty of folks concidered new around here that know more than most, I think very little of post counts to be honest but some folks may take a low one as new and limited knowledge, sad but true.

Nice to meet you too Marc, how was the end results of your tune with what you have now?

Mike
The car runs great I have no complaints. I do plan on upgrading the turbo this year 20g with injestors what do you think. I know a few guys that have done it and they are in love with their car all over again.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:55 PM
VIP Member

Yea the 20g is a pretty decent turbo, you'll need the injectors for sure. I recommend the Perrin ones, they seem to work really well and are very easy to work with from the tuners standpoint. Another turbo that seems to perform well (on 91 pump) is the SR40, a little pricey new but if you can get one used they are decent. We have a customer who makes 317whp and 332ftlbs at 20psi. If you want to go all out then perhaps a GT30 turbo would be good, we have one making 340whp or so that we are still working on (in fact I still have it strapped to the dyno right now ).

Mike
Old 01-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
is Still Will using a Ecutek??? No he is not
no and either was mine, both were UTECs at the time. Though my point was that you could tune a ported VF34 and make power just like any other, I guess the point that you were trying to make was that the Ecutek could not control boost whereas the UTEC could(?) which is even more absurd. The UTEC uses the factory boost solinoid just like when tuning with an Ecutek, so anything the UTEC can do the Ecutek can do, if anything I would put the Ecuteks boost control over the UTEC since the UTECs is static and the Ecutek can adjust for conditions just like stock.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
we have one making 340whp or so that we are still working on (in fact I still have it strapped to the dyno right now ).

Mike
Oh Mike you tease!:banana:

Quick Reply: Might change turbo to VF34, would i notice a difference in power?