Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Just picked up a 06 WRX Wagon : n0ob questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX Wagon : Stock
Just picked up a 06 WRX Wagon : n0ob questions

So I just picked up a wrx wagon, 06'. I'm looking for some information on well.. What are my options for bolt on modifications. What should I be weary of? ect ect Pretty much all the basic information a new owner would want to know who would like to modify & enjoy there car.

Thanks
-b
Old 08-30-2006, 01:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
Add a rear strut bar first. That will take away the loose rear end and a little of the oversteer. As far as bolt-ons, just go to Gruppe-S and check out what they have. What are you looking for specifically?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:04 PM

Hi thanks for the reply, basically I'm lookin for the most bang for my buck, ideally though i'd like it to remain as stock appearing as possible while getting the best perfomance, I'd like to see it running like an STi so maybe an additional 70hp, I was thinking of maybe trying to find an STI intercooler or ebay (which i think is larger) and swapping it, maybe a better but still quite cat back exhaust. But to be honest I've never messed with imports before, I've always been a carb guy so I don't know what actually hepls, and what hurts (ie I've been reading bov, and cia are a waste of cash if not bad for your car) The one plus I do have going for me is I don't have to worry about smog in mammoth.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:07 PM

..oh ya, and also. What stuff is universal to the Sedan, and Wagon?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:31 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
A catless downpipe and a STI intercooler would be a good bang for the buck.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:49 PM
VIP Member

catless downpipe, cat-back exhaust, protune, and an STi intercooler. If you want an intake go on one of the vendors and check out what they have. My buddy has a wagon and he has the HKS and he likes it.

Doing a turbo back exhaust, tbe, and a protune will put you around 300hp so go with that and you will be fine. If you dont have a shop near you pick up a cobb AP and run stage 2.

Also, the ebay intercoolers are hit or miss. I had one, but it actually was to much air flow for the stock turbo so I went with the STi and like it a lot better.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:06 PM

Car Info: 07 Ducati monster S2R1K
I too have a 06 from what I understand you do not want to put a catless DP on the car with out EM they say we get bad spikes
cobb AP stage II is nice for our cars
Old 09-03-2006, 07:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Ensure you add your pics to the Wagon goodness thread

https://www.i-club.com/forums/ongoing-projects-31/wagons-pwn-j00-99845/

Congrats on the car and welcome to the addictive world of Subaru!
Old 09-20-2006, 02:33 AM

Car Info: 07 ugm wrx wagon
Originally Posted by ScobyWRX
I too have a 06 from what I understand you do not want to put a catless DP on the car with out EM they say we get bad spikes
cobb AP stage II is nice for our cars
this might sound like a newie question but whats a EM, and is there any problems with a catless down pipe on the 06 wrx wag. i know the 02-03 can get away with catless??
Old 09-20-2006, 11:25 AM

Car Info: not a subie
EM= emmissions if I understand correctly. Taking out a catalytic converter will up your hydrocarbon count and if you live in a place like california, this could lead to tickets or penalties if you get caught.

either that or if could mean engine management heh

Last edited by Sir-Knight; 09-20-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:32 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx tr and 95 impreza L
He means em=engine management it's bad to run an exhaust cause of boost spike an engine management would help with that though.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:20 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX Wagon
good choice on the wagon :P. If you're looking for HP/speed, TBE (a Cobb AP in the future somewhere). For handling, a good set of tires and a thicker rear sway bar.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:10 PM
VIP Member

I just picked up a pair of Falken Azenis RT-615s for 540 shipped and they are very nice tires. I highly recomend getting a new set or tires. The difference is huge in the handling.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
I know what you want...

you want to scoot around town without having a badge breathe on your neck... but you also want to blow by that STI on the open road, like "hey... I have creature comforts and *****"... The recipe is right here... I wanted an 06 wagon too, but Im going with a mazdaspeed3.... but ehh, regardless, heres the recipe for attaching a heavy set of ***** on a WRX...

Intake Silencer - Remove it... Because I know you want you hear a little grunt and turbo whine when youre on the throttle. Oh, a GPMOTO Intake Elbow, cleans up that project very nicely, attaching an elbow where the stock silencer would be... bout 40 bucks..

Silicon Intercooler Hose kit - Cobb, Perrin, etc... the stock hoses are garbage (read: garbage) Its prone to cracking, etc, and causes unnecessary turbulence, esp in the y-pipe... this 100-150 dollar mod is good for seeing the turbo spool about 200-300rpm sooner

Lightened Crank Pulley - Cobb, Perrin, etc... do NOT get underdriven... Basically sheds 4lbs off the stock pulley, and is equal to about 100 lbs off the weight of your car... Result? Quicker revs, see boost another 300 rpm sooner...

COBB STAGE I - A light improvement in HP, a thicker torque band... smoother revs, and a wonderful starting point to expand on... enjoy this trick product... measures boost, has switchable maps on the fly, valet mode, anti theft mode, upgradeable, etc, etc, (good stuff to say)

Get a Helix/Titek/Cobb catted Downpipe... - Open up that rear end... This is where the serious power begins... Choose the piece that you like best... Ive been out of the scooby game for a few months, so i just heard the newest helix's are having fitment issues... cant really vouch for the titek, as ive never personally had an experience with it... but if money is not an factor... Cobb catted is the way to go... Choose catted if you want to pass smog, etc... Helix actually guarantees to pass smog (not visual, but the sniffer itself) visual isnt something to worry about... some of those dudes havent a clue...

Borla Hush exhaust - A classy twin exit, subtle exhaust with low rumbles and low decibel performance... Gets SICK at high rpms, mmmmm, carry extra boxers with you... you may cream 'em...

Now reflash your Cobb unit to a Stage II... for free

Go run mid-high 4 second 0-60s and mid-high 13s in the 1/4 mile... enjoy your torque monster.... eat well.

Last edited by Boost Addict; 09-27-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:02 PM

Car Info: 06 Wrx wagon
Has anyone actually taken out the intake silencer on a 06 wrx (wagon or sedan)? If yes can anyone tell me if is actually good or bad for the car and how it sounds afterwards. I have an 06 wrx wagon with an HKS intake and was wondering if I should take out the silencer..... send some pics if you got them!!!

Quick Reply: Just picked up a 06 WRX Wagon : n0ob questions