Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

intake for sti

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 09:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
I remember reading that the MAF isnt really a PITA on the STi, and aftermarket intakes dont have a negative effect on performance
Old 10-14-2003, 09:13 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally posted by Silky
cold air is better because it's dense... more air = more power. Even if that greater quantity of air is going to be immediately heated up it's still there and in greater quantity... = more power

and besides the intake side of the turbo is hot... but not as hot as the exhaust side so cold air does matter before it hits the intercooler.

Unless I just have that totally wrong. In which case I want pictures!!!
Although I agree that cold air is always better(hence my last post ) the bigger prob for air in turbos isnt just passing through a hot turbine itself, but the actual physical act of compression that is the much larger cause of heat. Anytime you compress air it heats tremendously, regardless of wether or not it passes through a red-hot turbine first, its just physics
Old 10-14-2003, 09:22 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Silky- Cold air is indeed better than warm air, but no aftermarket cold air intake gets cooler air than the factory does already. That's not really the problem- by itself, thatintake really would work. The issues arise from MAF signal errors. When you change the way the air flows through the MAF, even slightly, it wreaks havoc with the ECU's ability to meter fuel properly.

awns, I'm not sure what you mean. The STi MAF unit is fine, but you still can't mess with the flow signal and expect positive reults.

Krinkov, you are correct about the air becoming much hotter when it's compressed, but still, the colder it is when you compress it, the less hot it is when it gets to the intercooler. The other side is, the hotter the air is when it passes through the intake, the less dense it is, and the less oxygen it contains. This is more of an issue than the actual temperature of the air since the intercooler will pretty much bring it within 15 degrees of ambient regardless.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:45 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
well thats why I have my intake setup the way I posted on the first page and yes AWNs, my STi did the same thing all the other wrx's did with my first attempt with a CAI, sorry

Its funny that this MAF issue comes up again in the cars Ive modded, my last car(now my wifes) is a 92 300ZX, had the exact same prob. The no-brainer first mod for many 300ZX guys is to replace the filter assembly with a Jim Wolf intake, basically a K&N cone filter mounted directly to the end of the stock MAF. Half the time though you would get the same problem. Somewhere along the line a clever 300ZX guy came up with a simple fix, run a strip of duct tape down one side of the cone filter, this fixes it every time! best guess on twinturbo.net is that this causes a slight turbulence inside the filter that makes the sensor better able to measure the actual volume of incoming air. I love it when people stumble across simple and ingenious fixes to problems
Old 10-14-2003, 10:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
Has anyone added a CAI and then reset the ECU on an STi? What happens? Does it adapt at all?
Old 10-21-2003, 11:39 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
Stock only way to go....

Did anybody read the Aug 03 SCC, they compared three WRX's against a STI. Notice that the fastest car was the Vishnu WRX stock intake, stock BOV pop the hood on it the only thing not stock looking is the intercooler (although it had a full Stage 2 kit). Open up the exhaust and get some engine management. I had a blitz BOV on my STI it ran like crap put the stock one back on car runs fine I'm just waiting till I got the money and am gonna buy the Vishnu kit for the STI, now if they will put it on their site.....
Old 10-26-2003, 12:46 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STi
My TurboXS short intake works just fine on my STi. The gains are noticable with a DP/exhaust combo.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:54 AM

i have an extra blitz sus intake for sale if interested
it's used for only a month
$183 shipped
cann_lui@yahoo.com
selling it coz my buddy got his car back to stock and he has an ARC air box for me