Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

I finally drove the Evo...my impressions and questions on modding STi.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 10:02 PM

I finally drove the Evo...my impressions and questions on modding STi.

Hey guys,

Today i had a chance to drive the Evo for the first time...my initial impression of the car was that it wasn't that bad...prob bc the guy had a full turboback, intake, and an ebc, except he had it set at 19psi. anyways, i thought handling wise the evo was just a tad bit quicker then the STi...he had all season tires which took away some from the responsiveness. Lag i didn't notice...the turbo spools up really quickly....felt pretty smooth for a 2.0 cylinder...it started to really take off over 4,000rpms...but nothing beats the lowend torque of the STi. I thought driving the Evo would be very noticeable in the overall feel but difference was minimal...even the harshness factor i didn't really notice btw my STi and the Evo. i was impressed with the overall experience.

But heres my dilemna...i am not going to keep the car stock so i've been waiting for aftermarket companies to produce some sort of enginemanagement that produce efficient and reliable hp on stock internals for the STi...somewhere around 370whp-400whp. prob might have to switch out the turbo. i know the drive by wire throttle is one of the reasons why it might be taking longer than usual along with the STi having two ecu's. my question is...would it be worth waiting to see what's out there on the market for the STi when enginemanagment finally becomes available? cause i am getting the itch to mod the car but id rather do it reliably and here i am watching all these Evo owners modding their cars to 400whp, pushing up the boost to 22psi reliably as a daily driver on their big turbos. And even if enginemanagement comes out is it worth doing alot of mods on the STi for my whp goals on a semi closed deck as opposed to the Evo's cast iron block? the Evo's turbo and most of its stock internals are good for 400-450whp as a daily driver. So there you have it. i can sell the STi and get an Evo and mod it to a reliable daily driver even with 400whp or wait for the STi's enginemanagement to come out and end up spending more money to make it reliable bc of the limited market and a possible weaker engine block. Which route should i go? Would i end up spending more money on the STi in the long run for the same amount of whp in getting it to be reliable? Please no flames...i really would like some suggestions, opinions, on what i should do. My primary reason for such a car was to use it as a project car for the weekends, but making it reliable as a daily driver as well. thanks, Ghost
Old 02-21-2004, 11:47 PM
VIP Member

im on the same page as you are on. i have a perrin downpipe, apex-i gt-spec cat back, blitz sus intake, but i want engine management. i dont want 400 whp, but i just want around 300whp, but so far i dont know how reliable this engine is. evo's are making big power with stock internals, which i would like to have too. i like subaru cars, want to stick with subaru, but if my engine is going to go out, or get weakened, because of detonation, i cant afford to let that happen. plus the internals of the evo are i think forged? but the sti's came out not being as strong. i bought this car, not just so i can mod it, but because i thought subaru was very reliable, but now after hearing blowen engines, and not many people making big power, im wondering if i made the right choice.
-dashiet
Old 02-23-2004, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by dashiet
im on the same page as you are on. i have a perrin downpipe, apex-i gt-spec cat back, blitz sus intake, but i want engine management. i dont want 400 whp, but i just want around 300whp, but so far i dont know how reliable this engine is. evo's are making big power with stock internals, which i would like to have too. i like subaru cars, want to stick with subaru, but if my engine is going to go out, or get weakened, because of detonation, i cant afford to let that happen. plus the internals of the evo are i think forged? but the sti's came out not being as strong. i bought this car, not just so i can mod it, but because i thought subaru was very reliable, but now after hearing blowen engines, and not many people making big power, im wondering if i made the right choice.
-dashiet
Wow!! 78 views and only one reply??
Old 02-23-2004, 10:37 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Wish I could say something...just don't have an Sti. Just want to point out the obvious...the 4G63 engine has been around a lot longer than the EJ25, so all the tweaks have been worked out. And the so called "pinging" problem on some Sti's probably haven't helped at all.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:05 AM

Car Info: WRB 2003 WRX
Originally posted by Wrx17
Wish I could say something...just don't have an Sti. Just want to point out the obvious...the 4G63 engine has been around a lot longer than the EJ25, so all the tweaks have been worked out. And the so called "pinging" problem on some Sti's probably haven't helped at all.
I can still remember the hardcore subaru freaks saying that the Subaru STi engine was the way to go and had much more potential when both cars 1st came out. How eventually it would produce much more power and would kick the EVO's @$$, even when magazines were siding with the EVO and its 4G63 engine due to the unknown surrounding the new STi engine. Wow ... and now we finally hear about people blowing their STi internals ... I guess its not what it was made out to be. But to answer the original question Vishnu does produce the Xede (engine management unit) for the STi. I believe with a TBE and the Xede they were able to get 282WHP safely.... that's not 400WHP but its something. I hope that helps in your decision.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:02 PM
VIP Member

well, i think most tuners are focusing on the evo because they want to see the capabilities of it. those tuner already know how much they can get out of the boxer engines, but since they already have the buisness of the subaru owners, now they need to get the buisness of the evo owners. just my opinion
Old 02-27-2004, 09:50 AM

Car Info: 2006 BSP LGT / 2004 JBP FXT
My opinion is that the STI is still too new with the EJ25 moter (which i have in my Baja T) and the Modders need time to test, blow engins and learn from their trials and errors. The EVO has a engin that has been out for mutch longer so the mods are known and proven. Just like the Mods for the the Pre-STI moters (sorry, don't recall the engin number). So in all, I believe that the Boxer engin has more potential than the EVO, we just need to wait and see. And not having the EJ25 in the asian market cuts the modifiers so it will take a bit longer. And from what I understand, in other markets, like asia, have higher taxes and fees on bigger engins unlike here in the US, and they are steap. So Subaru is not using the bigger than a 2.0L engin in those markets.

Just my .02 worth.

Ben