Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Helix TBE vs APS TBE

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 04:53 AM

Helix TBE vs APS TBE

Do these exhausts sound much different on an STi w/ or w/o catless dp??

Are there any performance differences AT ALL between the two when coupled with an Acessport?

And finally, besides those two mods being done together, do I need to worry about catalytic converter issues with the turbo once I do the exhaust swap?

Thanks!!!

MODS - Sorry for putting in wrong forum, please move for my retarded a$$

Last edited by Blu05Sti; 11-14-2005 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:04 AM

Bump.

Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks!
Old 11-18-2005, 08:44 PM

Car Info: 2010 Subaru Sti
are you wanting the 3 or 3 1/2 inch APS. i have the 3 1/2 on my 05 sti and it is pretty loud but its really nice. i heard the helix is pretty loud also.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I have the APS 3" TBE single tip on my wagon. IMO Best sounding exhaust I have heard. That's why I bought it. I think the Helix sounds loud and raspy. The 18" resonator in the intermediate pipe of the APS really takes any of the rasp out of the exhaust note. You get a really deep powerful tone throughout all RPM ranges. This system will not disappoint. I addition It allows for an easy replacement of a race pipe and a high flow cat. Versatility is a good thing.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:54 AM

I was going to go the 3" route because I keep hearing 3 1/2" is over kill for less than 400 whp applications. The 3.5" is very nice looking though.

I had originally decided I would be catless, but the more I learn about boost creep, the more I am inclined to get a high flow dp like helix offers. My bud has a complete helix on his wrx, and it sounds great, but I honestly expected more boxer type growl. Will the STi be any different?

Would the complete Helix TBE with catted DP produce boost creep? All I need is one cat to prevent it right.

Thanks for helping me out guys!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:47 AM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
I have the 3.5" APS

Never once did I boost creep here in Hawaii...if you want a cat, you are going to have to get the 3" APS unless you do some modding...the 3.5" does not come with a cat...(you can buy the 3" kit with or without a cat (short pipe either has one or doesn't).

I'm very happy with my system. I am also running the Cobb AP as well as a GT SPEC II header...it's not nearly as loud as lets say:

1. Turbo XS RFL
2. PDE DP and Blitz
3. RS*R TBE

I use to have a PDE w/HKS Carbon TI and B&B Catback
I would say my APS is about as loud as these two...

Here is a clip of how mine sounds...except mine has the stock turbo...this one has the sr55 (sounds the same though)

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...5exhausthi.WMV

but because of the header, it does sound more like a rally car...it is not quite equal length...so a little thump still goes through...
Old 11-20-2005, 07:56 AM

Island Style - I can't believe you've never had boost creep without a cat. I heard when the 04 STi's came out everyone complaining about it once they threw a TBE on.

I do like the sound though alot on the 3.5".

Is it really over kill on a STi w/ just a Cobb though. How much of a difference in low end power did you notice after you put it on...or is it all top end?

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:40 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
^^^Boost creep

seems to happen when the ambient temperature is lower than 50 degrees out...Doesn't get below 65 degrees here really...

Boost seems to come on quicker and last longer...as far as overkill...it's all relative...

Where do people draw the line? Is a turbo overkill on a 4-cylinder car? Is putting a big 6.0 litre engine in a GTO overkill? I like my APS and don't care what people say...I like the way it looks, sounds and performs...my opinion...other people have their own opinions...you make your own intelligent decison based on your needs...

When I upgrade to a bigger turbo...there I am, ready...The APS Turbo's fit directly on with the TBE systems...that is why they have a cast iron elbow that connects to the turbo...when you get their bigger turbo's, they bolt directly on it without modifying the DP...you just don't use the elbow piece...
Old 12-04-2005, 11:18 PM

Car Info: 02wrx-06STI
+1 for the helix tbe set-up it sounds great and performs great...
Old 12-05-2005, 09:41 AM

Car Info: 06 STI WRB/Gold
I thought you had to grind off the divorced wall that seperates the wastegate on the cast outlet piece. At least thats with APS turbos and mitsu's also. I have the APS 3-inch and it rocks. I'm sure Helix is a good product too but I just liked the sound form APS and the ability to change from a race pipe to a cat and it only takes 30 minutes to an hour.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
The nice thing about the APS 3" is that it is extremely stealthy. Idling or doing anything below 2700 RPM, it is pretty much stock. My wife never even noticed the swap from the stock '02 WRX exhaust to the APS 3" TBE (with a high-flow cat).

It is so quiet, people never even notice you -- until you take it up to 3500 RPM, when it roars like an '80s Porsche 911 or an unmuffled bike with some decent displacement. This can be fairly amusing! I've noticed that I can sit at a light and no one even gives the car a look, then we all take off from the light; if I ride 2nd gear up to 4000 RPM and get some sound out of it, the other cars tend to stop at the next light very gingerly and carefully, and often a few feet behind me -- suddenly everyone is VERY polite. This happens on the freeway as well; I'll be cruising in 5th, quiet as a mouse, but suddenly have to downshift to fourth gear because someone is going slow; suddenly that car which was hugging my bumper is keeping their distance, and that dork in the modded Altima who was pacing me is suddenly trying to pretend I don't exist. I haven't heard the car from outside yet (I don't trust any of my friends to drive it ) but it must be pretty intimidating WOT to inspire this kind of behavior.