Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Header Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 10:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Black WRX STI
Header Wrap

Does any one have any experience with header wrap.

1) It may increase performance by accelerating exhaust gasses by preventing cooling turbulance.

2) It may increase the header temperature beyond its capabilities, destroying the header.

3) It may eliminate the manufacturers warenty.

Just curious.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Wrap is a good idea, but it has to be applied PERFECTLY. If it isn't totally, absolutely sealed, moisture can get between the wrap and the header and you'll have rust and eventual component failure. A better idea would be to get the headers Jet-Hot coated, which is a ceramic/aluminum spray which is baked on. Expensive, but foolproof.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:30 AM
VIP Member

Any idea how to get that done? Any vendors you know who have already done good jobs on proven rides?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2005, 12:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP 04 AW WRX/ 05 CGM STI/ 13 SWP STI
just to let you know, if its not wraped properly it may cause fire in the engine bay, and maybe to the whole car... I had headers on my wrx before, and it was not wraped and it was just fine.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:54 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by depdivr
Any idea how to get that done? Any vendors you know who have already done good jobs on proven rides?
Google search for Jet-hot coating (it is a brand name); I think there are a few shops which will apply this, but you'd have to mail them the headers. It isn't outrageously expensive, but it isn't free either, if you know what I mean.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:53 PM
VIP Member

Worth the Money?
Old 09-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by meilers
Wrap is a good idea, but it has to be applied PERFECTLY. If it isn't totally, absolutely sealed, moisture can get between the wrap and the header and you'll have rust and eventual component failure. A better idea would be to get the headers Jet-Hot coated, which is a ceramic/aluminum spray which is baked on. Expensive, but foolproof.
Header wrap is fabric and is not waterproof or watertight , no matter how well or tight you wrap your headers willl not prevent the wrap from absorbing moisture.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by r8c3w1tm3
just to let you know, if its not wraped properly it may cause fire in the engine bay, and maybe to the whole car... I had headers on my wrx before, and it was not wraped and it was just fine.
Header wrap fires are caused by oil dripping on the headers, soaking into the fabric, then igniting. Not by poorly wraped headers spontaneously combuting. Just ask Miguel or James!
Old 09-11-2005, 03:12 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Krinkov
Header wrap is fabric and is not waterproof or watertight , no matter how well or tight you wrap your headers willl not prevent the wrap from absorbing moisture.
I'm not certain about this, but I thought that header wrap typically came with a paint-like sealant that you apply after the pipe is wrapped. In any case, it seems we both agree that coating is better than wrapping.

http://www.jet-hot.com/

http://www.hpcoatings.com/

have more information.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by meilers
I'm not certain about this, but I thought that header wrap typically came with a paint-like sealant that you apply after the pipe is wrapped. In any case, it seems we both agree that coating is better than wrapping.

http://www.jet-hot.com/

http://www.hpcoatings.com/

have more information.

they sell this but its really not that effective, I used it on a wrap before and it mostly stunk for a while then burnt off! well it says right on the can its good to 1500 degrees which is probably fine on an NA car but on a turbo car that wont last long at all

that all said, I still use header wrap on my headers, it may have its trade-offs but header wrap os still MUCH more thermally efficient than the spray on coatings. I can turn my car off and put my hand on my header wrap, try that on a set of coated headers, on second thought, dont
Old 09-11-2005, 06:42 PM
VIP Member

Question

Originally Posted by Krinkov
they sell this but its really not that effective, I used it on a wrap before and it mostly stunk for a while then burnt off! well it says right on the can its good to 1500 degrees which is probably fine on an NA car but on a turbo car that wont last long at all

that all said, I still use header wrap on my headers, it may have its trade-offs but header wrap os still MUCH more thermally efficient than the spray on coatings. I can turn my car off and put my hand on my header wrap, try that on a set of coated headers, on second thought, dont
Did you notice any sort of performance gain?

Anything positive or negative?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:54 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
What kind of header wrap do you suggest? What kind of Spray is the best to use and lasts the longest? How long does it last?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:34 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Wrapping WRX headers is time consuming: I've done a few sets and it still takes 2hrs or so.
Get them Jet Coated.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I wrapped mine and it took forever. I did wrap each one to the collector. That could be why it took me so long. I ended up cutting it off before I installed it. I had it cera-metallic coated by Crucial racing. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Here are the pictures of my Gruppe-s V2 header coated by Crucial Racing
Attached Thumbnails Header Wrap-post-24-1133302822.jpg   Header Wrap-post-24-1133302841.jpg  

Quick Reply: Header Wrap