Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Header Install: use new gaskets...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 02:25 AM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Header Install: use new gaskets...

So, thought I would write this up to help someone in the future...

A buddy of mine, Kevin and I swapped out my stock header and up-pipe for his XXTuning Header and Up-Pipe. (We both have 04 STI's...) His stock manifold got thrown out during a move...

Kevin used his old gaskets with the stock manifold and up-pipe...no problems...
I used my old gaskets with the XXtuning header...Leaks everywhere...

What to do...the worst goes through one's mind: What if the manifold flanges are warped? What if they formed to the other engine's contour and won't change to fit mine...etc.

So I contacted XXtuning and they gave me a lot of help technically and sold me an awesome gasket for the manifolds...they were for the lack of better words, "Puffy". They worked great...I also replaced the Header to Up-Pipe gasket, the up-pipe to turbo gasket and the down-pipe gasket.

So, after reading and researching the boards to death...I did the following:

1. First, tighten the Header to up-pipe connection...there is very little room here so just tighten them up evenly...there is no way you are going to get a torque wrench in there.

2. Second, tighten the manifold gaskets evenly. When ready, torque them down to 28 ftlbs...starting with the center nut, then working out to both ends.

3. Finally, tighten the up-pipe to turbo connection. This time start from the center and work out tightening the nuts to 26 ftlbs.

4. The downpipe gasket probably did not need replacing but I did it anyway...just tightened it evenly all around...

Hope this helps...and people, if you do not want to do a job twice, just pay the $$ and buy new gaskets prior to installing headers...especially used ones.

Last edited by Island Style; 06-20-2005 at 08:59 AM.