Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

guestion Perrin Big MAF intake and different gauges

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 12:46 AM

Car Info: 2007 Satin White Pearl STi
guestion Perrin Big MAF intake and different gauges

I was wondering about the Perrin BiG MAF intake and whether anyones tried it or not it seems to address the MAF sensor issue in 05 STIs.

and gauges does it matter what brands to use or can i just buy those generic ones from ebay

thanks for your time guys
Old 10-21-2005, 10:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Black WRX STI
Originally Posted by azn_ryder02
I was wondering about the Perrin BiG MAF intake and whether anyones tried it or not it seems to address the MAF sensor issue in 05 STIs.

and gauges does it matter what brands to use or can i just buy those generic ones from ebay

thanks for your time guys
As far as gauges are concerned, get some good ones. I use Omoni which are very accreted but also not the most expensive. Your gauges are your connection to the life stats of your car. They will warn you that something has gone wrong before your engine sprays the crowd with shrapnel. Unfortunately they wont give you a ton of time so every second counts. Cheep gauges are slow, inaccurate and typically don't have warning lights. That little red light is worth its cost... Get good gauges - don't buy generic.

I use the Perrin Big MAF intake and really like it. I have a huge draw from my FP Red and it is able to sustain big flows. I haven't had any issues with the MAF sensor like I had with an AEM cold air intake (I replaced the AEM with the Perrin). The Big MAF comes with my recommendations.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:18 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
As a point of warning, the Big MAF needs some sort of tuning to go with it. You can't just swap the part on and call it a day.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:28 PM

really??

even though the perrin comes with a MAF adapter??? what about the PERRIN CAI?? has anyone used it?? is it safe??
Old 10-21-2005, 09:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Black WRX STI
Originally Posted by nKoan
As a point of warning, the Big MAF needs some sort of tuning to go with it. You can't just swap the part on and call it a day.
nKoan is absolutly right, sorry I didn't mention it. Even so, you should think of tuning as your first aftermarket performance "part".

My steps towards a stage 4 was,
1) Intake
2) Cat-back exhaust
3) Turbo Back exhaust
4) EcuTek tuning

If I had it to do all over again... #4 would be #1. Tuning on a Suby is everything, you will get more power per dollar with a tune and pull more power per dollar of every aftermarket part you buy.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07' AW 335i & 05' WD Escalade
Originally Posted by depdivr
nKoan is absolutly right, sorry I didn't mention it. Even so, you should think of tuning as your first aftermarket performance "part".

My steps towards a stage 4 was,
1) Intake
2) Cat-back exhaust
3) Turbo Back exhaust
4) EcuTek tuning

If I had it to do all over again... #4 would be #1. Tuning on a Suby is everything, you will get more power per dollar with a tune and pull more power per dollar of every aftermarket part you buy.
Yeah i agree. I spend over 5 grand on my car before i got it tuned. If i did it over, i'd do the tuning first for sure.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:15 AM

if thats the case whuch would you suggest i heard Cobb accessport was real good. also im from hawaii does anyone know anyone that can tune it for me locally.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:37 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by azn_ryder02
if thats the case whuch would you suggest i heard Cobb accessport was real good. also im from hawaii does anyone know anyone that can tune it for me locally.
AccessPORT is a good choice for you in HI as long as you stick with mods listed by Cobb for each stage.

There is a problem on Oahu (as well as the other islands) because there is no tuner with an AWD chassis dyno that I'm aware of. Meet up with the local guys in the Hawaii regional forum here on i-Club as many of them are pretty knowledgable about our cars.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush