Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

GrimmSpeed Project Impreza L/WRX Dynos

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 11:07 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
GrimmSpeed Project Impreza L/WRX Dynos

We're going to use this thread to post our dynos for our current project car.

The car is a 96 Impreza L with an 05 2.0 WRX swap. I put the engine/exhaust/intake together completely stock just so i could get the car running and work out any bugs before i start mod'ing the engine, etc.

Build thread can be found here:
https://www.i-club.com/forums/ongoing-projects-31/grimmspeed-project-l-166404/

We are using Data Log Lab(www.dataloglab.com) for all of our plots. We are using SAE correction so that way we can really get apples to apples numbers when we are taking pulls on different days. We are using this software solely for showing comparisons of before and after affects of mods/tuning.

Tuning wise we are using enginuity/ecuflash(www.enginuity.org). The enginuity site has been down for awhile but i spoke with owner of enginuity and he stated that it should be back up soon.

Well i just got done with a tune on the completely stock setup....
STOCK: 168HP/174TQ
STG1(no mods, just tune): 184HP/191TQ

So we are looking at gains of 16HP and 17TQ...not to shabby for some mild tuning. Boost peaks at 16.5psi and tapers to 12psi at redline. Of course i'm completely running out of injector around 5500rpm so i need to get some new injectors in there quickly.

I know it would be better to put it on the dyno after every mod so we can see afr's but we simply dont have the funds to be dyno'ing the car every few days. The newer road dyno'ing software is pretty accurate these days so i'm not to worried.

Justin

Last edited by GrimmSpeed; 02-03-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:12 PM

Sorry guys i made a mistake with the stock vs. stg1 graph. i had the weights wrong for my car. i thought my tuner was in the car for the log i was using but he was not. The numbers seemed a bit high to me originally which is why i was investigating.

We still made 16hp and 17tq which i think is pretty good.

I've updated the first post with the correct info.

Justin
Old 02-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
That's not too bad. I mean... when I dyno'ed my car, I made 37whp and 124 ft-lbs of torque.

Ooops. I read the previous post wrong. But seriously, the numbers I have were total!! Not gain... but total.

Last edited by darkonion; 02-11-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:47 PM

so i got the TBE exhaust on this past week and did some tuning. i'm not sure what brand the downpipe is, but the catback is megan racing(not my first choice but it was laying in the shop).

i finally got a new wideband too so i could see what was up with the fuel. it was running a bit rich. it was around mid-high 9s

So here is the stock w/ tune VS TBE w/tune graph. Again, using on same road as before, nice perfectly flat road by a corn field. Gains were 13HP and 27TQ. the hp number is what i expected but that tq number really jumped up alot more than expected.

I have some 750cc injectors coming that i'm putting in soon here too. They arent going to help us now but once we get our ewg kit on then we will really need them for keeping the boost cruising up top. Also our up pipe will be going on next as well w00t.

Justin
Old 02-12-2008, 05:06 PM

Well i was hoping today to get a good comparison of the real life gains of adding the GrimmSpeed Up Pipe to your car but i failed...we changed too much at one time and the gains i believe are much more than what the average gains of putting our up pipe on your car would be and i dont want to show gains that wouldnt exist for you guys.

What i did was finally get my wideband hooked up so we could lean it out a bit from being overly rich and i replaced the stock cat'd up pipe with our catless up pipe. Original dyno had an afr of about 9.8:1 and the new one has an afr of 10.8:1.

With the original tune boost hit a peak of 17.0 and with the new tune we are hitting 17.5...so boost was raised a little bit.

I wanted to note a few dynos ago i tightened the wastegate arm a few turns...thats how i'm able to hold this much boost with the stock wastegate. if you are having trouble hitting higher boosts i suggest giving the wastegate arm a couple turns to shorten it up a bit.

Gains are 19hp and 18tq with the leaner tune and adding the grimmspeed up pipe. Because i think these numbers are definitely high for a person that would be just adding an up pipe to a stg2 car i will be taking the up pipe off and putting the stocker back on then taking some more pulls and then hopefully we can get a better comparison of stock up vs. grimmspeed up. But nonetheless this dyno shows the gains of leaning out the tune and adding the up pipe.

The car is definitely opening up a ton. I can easily tell the difference between this 2800lb impreza stg2 w/ tune VS. the 3300lb wrx stg 2 w/tune. Its amazing how much the weight difference really makes.

and on that note i decided to play with the dyno software to see what the dyno would look like if you implanted my exact engine/tune from the 2810lb impreza L and put it in a 3200 WRX. these results are pretty cool imo...i knew weight made a difference but its crazy to see it on paper.

better go hunting for some stg2 wrx's muahhahaha

Justin