Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.
View Poll Results: Is the GP Moto equal length header any good?
Yes, get one right now!
80.00%
No, it's a waste of $$$$ yO!
20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

GPMoto's Header?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 11:20 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Question GPMoto's Header?

GP MOTO - Equal length header one piece for WRX and STi. with integrated up-pipe. Made from T304 stainless steel. 6 Slip joints are used, two in the middle of #1 and #3 primaries and one on each primary prior to the merge of the up-pipe section. Up-pipe section consists of two pipes merging just prior to the turbo flange promote faster spool up which equals less lag. Welds are polished on all flange locations. Includes boss for O2 sensor and EGT sensor.
Primaries are 37” long @ 35mm diameter.
Secondary are 9.5” long @ 38mm diameter.
Collector pipe is 2.5” long @ 48mm diameter.
Up-pipe total length is 12” long.
33 hp 47ft .lb torque gain. Equal length direct replacement no clearance issues. No slip joints fully welded.

Limited Lifetime Warranty

Is it any good?

Anyone use it on an STi?
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2004, 12:04 AM
Angry Dan

anyone?
Old 02-01-2004, 04:11 PM

Location: Flying on the H1 w/ 75 psi of compression on all 4 cyl
Car Info: PnP VF30 w/ STi injectors Perrin intake walbro fuel pump w/ a TXS TBE
Doesn't San have these headers?? I say Hell Yeah!!! :banana:
Old 02-01-2004, 04:32 PM

Car Info: 2005 Impreza WRX STi
I have been playing with the GPMoto header since July of 2003. All the slipjoints leak and it greatly affects boost! I had them mail me a welded header and it still leaked and also rattled from the pipes rubbing against each other. I would go with another brand, I returned mine for a full refund. I have a WRX.

I can write a novel on everything I have done to try to get this header to work.

J
Old 02-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Angry Dan

Thanks
Old 02-03-2004, 03:37 PM

Car Info: 2005 Impreza WRX STi
I used a small diameter tubing to check for leaks. I put one end to my ear and the other I probed around the joints till I heard a putting sound. You will hear a hum around the joints, that is the vibration of the pipes, but if you hear a definitive putting sound, that is a leak.

There were two batches of headers. The first set had zero returns or problems. The 2 headers that I had pass through on my car where from the second larger batch. I have heard that there were four other WRX owners that returned their headers for welded ones, as far as I know, I am the only one that returned the welded header. Two pipes were rubbing and a loud vibration sound of metal on metal was made at 2500rpm. It was painful to shift through that RPM with that racket going on. That is the main reason I returned it. The welded header was 100% better then the non-welded, but don't be fooled, they still leak. They can't weld all the way around the slip joint where the pipes are close together.

GPMoto has been great in working with me to correct the problem. I gave up though. I had those headers on and off the car over 12 times. I am an expert in uppipe, downpipe installation without removing engine mounts and a little over a foot off the garage floor.

If you watched the pricing they are now $635 where as when I bought it back in July 03, they were $900. You should see a new statement saying they are welded with no slip-joints.

Overall not a bad price, just be aware of why.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:11 AM
VIP Member

wasnt there a magazine that was sopposed to come out with reviews of all headers on sti's stock and modded?
Old 02-04-2004, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Carguy19
Dan from godspeed swears by them, I just ordered mine yesterday. I think got 30 ft lbs more just with the header on his dyno.
Really? In the thread titled "Any info on the GT Spec genIII header?" at NASIOC(2.5L Turbo forum), God writes in his first post of that thread:

"I will probably stock the Gen 2 header more than the Gen 3 but it should be a nice option for folks and will be less expensive than the not so great GP Moto."

I'm confused

Are you sure you're not confusing the GPMoto equal length for the Maxim Works header that Dan seems to stand by religiously?
Unless, you totally flipped his views by running it on his dyno. Please clarify

Thanks
-Matt