Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Engine Knocking Noise.. help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 10:27 PM

Car Info: civic
6th to 3rd and bounced off the limiter? how fast were you going to begin with?
Old 09-13-2004, 10:51 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
If you went 130 mph with the gearbox in 3rd your wheels should have locked up and/or crank bearing gotten spun. Anyways, if the knocking sound goes away when the motor is warm, it's normal. If it never goes away at idle, your engine is done.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:04 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
man this reminds me of when the E36 M3 came out, a bunch of people missed shifts, but in this case the valvetrain would blow.

Is this an '05 STi, in which case your car prolly came with the short shifter already.

I am having minor difficulties with the long 4-5 shift on my '04, and I've decided to install the factory shortshifter assembly, regardless of its $300+/- pricetag.

Remember that when you hit the rev limiter on an upshift, the ECU is able to slow down the motor. When you hit it on the downshift, mechanically your car can't avoid over-revving the motor, unless you depressed the clutch pedal instantaniously.

I've missed a few shifts here and there, buy nothing that crazy, and I blame it on me not having mastered the crap stock shifter yet (and I just passed 10k).
Old 09-15-2004, 11:38 AM

Car Info: sti
damn that sucks,do you feal any power loss?
Old 09-15-2004, 11:38 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by tailspin
That sounds like a good Ideao to get a short shifter... anyways noise is not going away noise doesn't occure at idle only at 4k rpm to 6500 rpm.. My dealer told me that these cars have alot of clearence but also it's a zero tolerance motor

You will only mishift more when you get a short shifter, and I think everyone will agree with me on that.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Anyways, if the knocking sound goes away when the motor is warm, it's normal. If it never goes away at idle, your engine is done.

My motor occassionally makes this persistant knocking sound for about a minute at a time, even briefly at idle before going away. This has happened a total of 4 times in the last year: once last april, and 3 times this last month. It was when it was a hot, 100 degree afternoon.

This greatly puzzles me, and your comment about the engine being done worries me. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Old 09-15-2004, 12:08 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
You probably just have the normal Subaru engine sounds. When the pistons are cold they are a bit loose in the cylinders, and they tap against the walls before they expand. If you only hear it on occasion with no other symptoms you're probably okay.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:00 PM
VIP Member

Location: Are you too one of the few still living the past? Well I can change that! With a simple wicket. Yes, my friend, a wicket. PM for details.
Car Info: No car right now....sob.
Originally Posted by verc
You will only mishift more when you get a short shifter, and I think everyone will agree with me on that.
Not neccessarily. Practice, young padawn, and you will never miss a gear.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:27 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
Please tell me you were going that speed on a track... Are you hearing it when you are on the gas it could be detenation..Or you could have screwed your engine..And yea I did something like that although I wasn't going that fast it was in a Integra I had but it blew the clutch...
Old 09-15-2004, 10:22 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
mechanical over-rev + knocking noise = bent rod, I'll bet you a dollar

I over-reved too in the exact same fasion luckily it wasnt as fast as you and I think I hit 8K, I drove around with the radio off for the next few miles listening for a knock but I dodged the bullet, that sucks
Old 09-15-2004, 10:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
I have piston slap in my ej20, but it goes away after the car is good and warm. This can be totally normal. However, if the noise does not go away, I have never heard of it being piston slap. Piston slap is also usually worse when you first tip into the throttle al low RPM, i.e. first begin to engage the clutch to leave a stoplight. In otherwords, it shouldn't be happening in the upper rpm range as it is on your car. If you hear a knocking when warm and at higher rpm, I'd bet you $10 you have Rod Knock, NOT Piston slap. Rod Knock/Slap is a VERY VERY BAD THING. Take your car to another dealer, the one that you have already visited is WRONG.

-Chris
Old 09-15-2004, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by PyroManiac
Not neccessarily. Practice, young padawn, and you will never miss a gear.

Well, what I meant was that if you aren't good at shifting as it is, a short shifter will only make it worse. my first manual transmission car came with an aftermarket short shift and it decreased the quality of my shifting so much I just reverted to stock until I was actually ready to speed shift and heel-toe and the like.

Last edited by verc; 09-15-2004 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Knocking Noise.. help!