Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Element Tuning GT65 Kits, PICS, FAQs, PLOTS!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:36 PM

Car Info: Do-Luck Bugeye WRX & 2008 Hydra-powered STI
Element Tuning GT65 Kits, PICS, FAQs, PLOTS!!

First the pics...

The dyno charts...

RACE GAS

http://www.elementtuning.com/element_hydra_553_whp.htm

PUMP GAS

http://www.elementtuning.com/elementgt65pumpfuel.htm

GT75 Variant 108 OCT with Hydramist

http://www.elementtuning.com/technic...mist583whp.htm

After having these kits on order for literally 6 months, we could not be happier with the end result!! The quality of this kit is exceedingly high and having fit 3 or 4 of them locally in our shop I can tell you that everything in regards to the fitment is spot on, this includes the bracketry, the clearances, and completeness of the kit. The final product truly has been worth waiting for.

Here is a preliminary FAQ:

Does this kit come with a MAF sensor adapter?

No it does not. This kit was designed primary for the hydra EMS which does not use a MAF sensor for volumetric air readings. Instead the hydra just simply uses the MAF to take an intake air temp reading. The hydra is a Speed Desity ECU which does not require you to even have an intake on your turbocharger. The intake that the GT65 kit comes with is merely a aluminum tube with a four inch stainless mesh filter on the end of it.

If you use an engine management system like a UTEC, reflash or Cobb which still uses the stock ECU you will need to use a blow through style MAF sensor adapter. We have seen customers locate their MAF on the chargepipe, and also make some change to the intake tube in order to accomodate this sensor. There is currently no blow through MAF available from element tuning for this kit.

We strongly reccomend ensuring that you have the ability to accomodate your MAF sensor during your installation of this kit if you do not have a hydra. Alternatively, you could get a hydra to go with your GT65 kit. :-)

Does this kit recirculate the wastegate discharge?

Yes this kit has a reciculating downpipe/uppipe combination so that you will have no atmospheric dump noise.

Are atmospheric kits available?

No not in this first alotment. This kit was built, R&D, and tested with a recirculating WG. Phil has seen no significant gains using external dump kits.

What is a GT65 turbo charger? Is is 2x as big as a GT35R?

No the GT65 is a proprietary turbocharger spec'd by Element Tuning for maximum power with the shortest spool up time possible. I do not wish to go on the record here, but it has been said on nasioc that a GT65 spools up like a GT30R while providing peak power figures very close to that of the GT35R, as evidensed by the pump and race gas dyno charts above.

Is a GT65 a ball bearing turbo?

No, a GT65 is not a ball bearing turbo.

What size exhaust dischage does a GT65 have?

The exhaust discharge on a GT65 is 2.5 inches HOWEVER the downpipe in the Element Tuning GT65 kit is 3 inches and does not taper at the flange. the pipe has been designed to ensure maximum flow at the turbine discharge, no reducers means no restrictions.

Will the GT65 downpipe bolt up to my catback?

The GT65 downpipe has a flat three inch downpipe discharge flange which should mate to any three inch catback flange.

When will my GT65 turbo reach full boost?

This turbo comes online in the mid threes, with full boost on a stock bottom end EJ25 occuring at approximately 4000 RPM. I have driven several GT65 equipped STis myself including some with increased displacement and CAMS. These things combined with tuning of the ACS map in the hydra can dramtically decrease spool up and response time with this set up. With a 6 speed, and 2.5L of displacement most of our customers have been significantly impressed with how fast they reach boost.

What is the quality like on the GT65 kit?

Exceedingly high, the flanges are all half inch thick, the piping was spec'd in order to resist cracking as much as possible. With the latest version of the production units we have not had a single instance of product failure or cracking even under extreme use. Its T321 stainless, because T304 was cracking over time.

Why does a GT65 kit come with a Turbosmart WG instead of a Tial 44 like other kits? Is it going to be big enough?

The GT65 kit comes with a Turbosmart 38mm Ultragate which has been known to exhibit flow characteristics like that of a tial 44. The piston on a turbosmart WG has higher lift than the tial 38mm, and this combined with a longer duration allows it to discharge all needed gasses. The quality on the turbosmart WG is exceedingly high and using a smaller 38mm keeps cost down and makes installation easier. Even with the testing of the GT75 turbo that Element Tuning has done the turbosmart 38mm ultragate has performed awesome in situations well above 550WHP using race fuel.

Do I need to order the upper intercooler pipes?

The upper intercooler pipes that come with this kit are intended for use with many major brand FMICs. The throttle body chargepipe is a one piece pipe that runs next to the battery and connects to most Intercooler Lower pipes that follow the same route, this pipe may not be required by those who use have an intercooler that has piping which follows a similar route, IE a GREDDY FMIC KIT. However, the compressor outlet pipe is quite unique and takes a direct two piece route right to the passenger fender well. Most will need this piece unless they have the ability to make a custom aluminum intercooler pipe, or plan on "clocking" the turbo in a different arrangement then has been spec'd by Element Tuning.

Does this kit come flanged for any specific BOV?

No, users perfer many different BOVs, many already own a BOV. You will need to flange the upper IC pipes for the BOV of your choice.

What is so great about the GT65 kit and what is all the fuss about?

Personally, we feel that the best thing about the element tuning GT65 kit is its completeness. The kit is a 100% R and D'd package from the ground up. It has been produced with the most progressive capable ECU solution for Subaru vehicles in mind. The Hydra maps that are available for this kit at this point are beyond dialed. There are hydra maps for this kit in use with nearly all fuel systems, cams, engine set ups and variations. These maps have all been painstakingly tuned and R and D'd, as well. With this kit you are not simply buying a set of pipes that hook a large rotated turbo up to your car, you are buying perhaps the most track tested, dyno tested, engineered from the ground up kit on the market today. Those of you who are familiar with ELEMENT TUNING's products and support already know what we are talking about. This is why our company buys into this product to such a degree.

More questions, comments? You will get the fastest answer by sending an email to garret@worldoneperformance.com, but I will do all that I can to answer questions in this thread as they pop up. Please be patient, as I don't personally have every answer and it is SEMA/Time attack week.

Thanks for looking!!!

G@W1
www.worldoneperformance.com