Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Cruise Flashing And Cel On Wtf???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 03:11 AM

Cruise Flashing And Cel On Wtf???

First of all i know its been talked about before but here are my mods and my story, i have a HKS Catback HELIX downpipe(cat eliminator) Ported wastegate(by LIC motorsports) and K&N intake(the red one). Last night was driving on the highway temp about 48degrees and my buddy in his 350Z wants to race so i ubcourse accept, we go at it and at around 140mph i feel the car stall like if i hit a brick wall then come back to life. After coming back to life my cruise control light starts flashing and the CEL light is on the car seems fine but im really bothered by it. Now here are my questions:

1. I tought that only occured if u didnt have ur wastegate ported?
2. How The F*CK do i fix this?
3. What exactly is going on should i be worried? get the turbo reported? Is it due to the low degree weather?

ANY IMPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED....
Old 10-30-2004, 06:29 AM
jmc

Car Info: '04 STI, Vishnu stage 1
It sounds like you hit the speed limiter on the vehicle. It shuts down I believe at about 150 mph. Probably shut off the fuel/spark and because of your mods, the engine leaned out for a second, throwing on your lights. You could probably get an OBDII tester from some shop and have them check your codes. Write them down, and then clear the codes. If you didn't have any lights on before, it should be fine. Just keep the runs under 150 and you should be fine. I'm not 100% sure but by looking at your codes stored, that will tell the story.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:35 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by fast_xr4
I read on some of the tuner sites the speed limiter is 147mph. Cobb Tuning for instance changes this to 300mph in there map files. That oughtta keep you from hitting the speed limiter right?

If you have a cat in the uppipe then a misfire such as rev or speed limiter could damage the cat and subsequently the turbo.

Those 350Z's have some top end. He probably gave you a good run...
Ive gone as fast as 155 on my 05 maybe the 05s dont have the speed limiter, the STi doesnt have a cat i the uppipe so i dont think thats the problem. I had like 15 car lenghts on my friends Z so not that much top end =)
Old 11-01-2004, 07:28 PM
jmc

Car Info: '04 STI, Vishnu stage 1
If you can find out what codes are stored, we can probably get a better idea
Old 11-01-2004, 09:59 PM

Car Info: 2002 Evil Wrx
Originally Posted by Paragon STi
First of all i know its been talked about before but here are my mods and my story, i have a HKS Catback HELIX downpipe(cat eliminator) Ported wastegate(by LIC motorsports) and K&N intake(the red one). Last night was driving on the highway temp about 48degrees and my buddy in his 350Z wants to race so i ubcourse accept, we go at it and at around 140mph i feel the car stall like if i hit a brick wall then come back to life. After coming back to life my cruise control light starts flashing and the CEL light is on the car seems fine but im really bothered by it. Now here are my questions:

1. I tought that only occured if u didnt have ur wastegate ported?
2. How The F*CK do i fix this?
3. What exactly is going on should i be worried? get the turbo reported? Is it due to the low degree weather?

ANY IMPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED....

I think your car just hates you and you should let me have it.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:15 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
the turboxs downpipe i now have on my car blew Ryan's turbo seal. he was extremely unlucky. the dealership didn't cover it, obviously, but a downpipe will void your emissions control systems (read: cats and the rest of your exhaust) and perhaps even the turbo warranty, which could make them wonder about the rest of the engine parts.......... blah don't give an excuse to dealers to not cover warranty work.

but yes I got this code when my O2 sensor was out and i didnt have the cel fix. now that i have the cel fix its all good. but then again Ive been having the same problem with my XEDE... bam detonation then cels triggered but this is only around 2000RPM cruising on the highway hella random...
Old 11-12-2004, 07:06 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STi
Originally Posted by fast_xr4
Ah - I didn't realize the STi's didn't have the cat in the uppipe until I read the rest of my manual.

I read on another list that you get the same flashing light and CEL when you overboost. Apparently you need to port your wastegate if you put on a downpipe or turbo back otherwise you get boost creep.

I let off at 140 in mine so I can't confirm...what a whimp I am
The solid CHECK ENGINE light and flashing Cruise can be a number of things...

Things I've seen on mine or my friends so far...

1) Running the car out of gas.
2) Overboost... being over 17(WRX) or 19(i think STi is 19) for more then certain amount of time...
3) O2 Sensor related issues... In my case, I have no cats and the perrin O2 simulator... but it still occasionally throws a "Late O2 Signal"
4) Not putting your gas cap on...

It seems like non-critical CEL's go away after 5 sucessful driving cycles without encountering any further errors...

Ohhh yah... and the speed limiter is at 155mph... and it's not a total fuel cut... It just kinda sits there and hovers between 150 and 155...
Old 11-14-2004, 02:31 AM

Thanks for all the replys seems like the car just overboosting seeing that the temps were low and the car was almost at 1.2 bar but its back to normal now. Thanks all again...
Old 11-14-2004, 07:56 PM

Car Info: 2002 Evil Wrx
I still think your car hates you.