Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Could this mean a failing/failed turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:43 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRB STi w/ s202 spoiler
Could this mean a failing/failed turbo?

About 2 months ago I noticed my '04 STi was chewing through a bit more oil than normal, so I gave it an early oil change (AMSOIL 5w30). The problem continued. About a week ago my car started tossing smoke from the tailpipe when I would start it. Now, just three days ago while I was accelerating up an overpass I heard what sound like the turbo go off balance; there was the normal sound of the turbo spooling and then it sounded like it was bogging out. Oh, and I've had a CEL that hasn't cleared itself for two weeks. We threw my brother's reader on it, but it failed to read the code, showing "Error" on the reader instead.

Thoughts?
Old 09-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by illogical
About 2 months ago I noticed my '04 STi was chewing through a bit more oil than normal, so I gave it an early oil change (AMSOIL 5w30). The problem continued. About a week ago my car started tossing smoke from the tailpipe when I would start it. Now, just three days ago while I was accelerating up an overpass I heard what sound like the turbo go off balance; there was the normal sound of the turbo spooling and then it sounded like it was bogging out. Oh, and I've had a CEL that hasn't cleared itself for two weeks. We threw my brother's reader on it, but it failed to read the code, showing "Error" on the reader instead.

Thoughts?
It could be, but it could be a number of things you really need to get the CEL pulled. If you like you could swing by the shop we would be happy to pull it for you.

I have seen a turbine wheel come off a turbo before on a STI, but when it did that it was like instant spyhunter.

Mike
Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 PM

Hey Mike,

Friend of mine had a puller, so we hooked it up and got two codes. P0011 and P0021 (Intake camshaft position timing Over-advanced (Bank 1 & 2)). At 54k miles this is just the belt stretching I'm thinking. Sadly, I don't think this explains my sound, unless what I heard was the belt slipping?

Edit:
Found out the timing belt has a tensioner... Is it possible the belt slipped causing the cams to be off by a few degrees?

Last edited by illogical; 09-16-2008 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-20-2008, 02:16 AM

So, took my car to Subaru... Turbo is toast, as expected. The codes were caused by the solenoids that drive the AVCS (from what I understand). The guy said they usually fail because of dirty oil... I change my oil like it's a religion (that I believe in, naturally). They're not sure if it will be covered, and will find out on Monday. If the district manager and service manager decide to not cover it, Subaru of America here I come (again). If they still won't cover it, I'll either do it myself (not sounding easy, but my brother was a mechanic for a long time), or I'll take it to a local shop to have it done ($$$... yeah, it's an ouchie). Any good deals at GST? ;-)