Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Compressor surge & stall and wastegate flutter

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 02:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Compressor surge & stall and wastegate flutter

My question is querying i-clubbers on their thoughts experiences with regards to my setup.

I can't seem to understand the whole issue...I just have that sound, fear the worst, and if it is actually abuse to my compressor wheel then get rid of it (if possible).

My method is that I'm going to quote a few folks whom I consider to have unquestionable knowledge and then go from there.

I have the 257 block, FP Green, Greddy r-spec FMIC, and HKS SSQV. I believe I've just cured my oil leak (jury is still out), and am now addressing both the 'fluttering' sound and my lack of being able to boost.

The BOV is probably maladjusted. I don't have the 'BB'd' hose from the turbo to the 'T'. I potentially have a boost leak vicinity of my boost gauge line. Flutter mainly occurs at fairly low rpms (~4000) and obviously after I let off of the throttle (sounds like a single turbo Supra at the strip after doing a burnout). I don't actually know for what psi the actuator is set or designed for, but I can find out Monday (I believe 18psi).

Quotes:

Think about this for a second, a good turbo exhaust system makes it easier for the turbocharger to make boost by reducing back pressure and increasing exhaust flow. When a good DP is installed the turbocharger has a much easier time creating boost due to the less restrictive exhaust and therefore the wastegate has a much tougher time controlling this boost (by dumping exhaust into the DP). This is why the wastegate "flutter" is more pronounced.

I wouldn't choose a DP based on your criteria. As many have done and suggested, wrap it if it is that important to reduce the noise.

Thanks,
Phil
TurboXS
Compressor surge is an unstable condition that results when the pressure ratio is too high for a given airflow rate. It is often referred to as "stall" in the gas turbine engine world.

nhluhr
Opening myself up for a beat-down, I know. Just trying to learn.