Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Cobbs Short Ram Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 02:47 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX TR
Unhappy Cobbs Short Ram Intake

Hello everyone,

Yes, I'm a newb and have owned my 06 WRX for about a month and a half now. I love it but I really want to bring out the whine sound from my turbo and the whoosh sound from the stock by-pass valve. I've done some research and I know this has been talked about a thousand times. I realize that there is no real HP gain from adding an aftermarket intake, as a matter of fact they supposedly harm your engine from what everyone else posts. I just want the intake strictly to hear my turbo and by-pass valve. I'm only going to go with the Cobb's intake since they state that it will not trigger a CEL because of the way it is designed to give the MAF correct air flow readings. Is there any one who has a Cobb's short ram intake that can help me out? Can you hear your turbo spooling up really loud and can you hear your by-pass valve in between shifts? Any advice truly helps.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
If you really want an intake get an OEM SPT intake. Won't effect warranty, carb cert, fits great, sounds kewl
Old 06-12-2006, 03:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
I have a suggestion for you that wont cost you much... I would personally first do an Air Silencer Delete... look it up as a "Snorkelectomy" "Snorkus Delete" "Silencer Delete"... etc... There is essentially a silencer in your passenger side front fender.. notice how the intake track goes into the fender then exits? yeah its in there... It's basically a huge fu^k-0ff piece of plastic that is supposed to collect water/silence the intake & by pass sounds... You get a nice increase of sound this way, without throwing away our VERY efficient stock system...

The way our stock intakes are designed are good for up to around 400hp applications... you SERIOUSLY dont need to be messing with it... And doing any short ram is still a risk... its one of those things that you may end up doing, then down the line saying. ****, that was totally not worth it... Try doing the silencer mod, and see if the sounds you get are enough for you... its a good compromise...

Oh and there is a GP Moto intake elbow that some vendors sell... its basically a straight through piece that replaces your stock silencer... its an awesome piece, and runs about 40 bucks... very clean way of doing this mod...

If after this mod you feel there has to be more... get a TBE...
Old 06-12-2006, 09:36 PM

Thanks guys! I have researched the GP Moto elbow and have heard others say it increased the sound of their turbo. Plus, your absolutely right, can't go wrong for only $40. One question though, do I have to remove my fender for this? And how easy is it to do?
Old 06-12-2006, 10:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Well here is some instructions on it...

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113

Nah, you just need to pull off a wheel, which makes life easier... Its usually a good alternative to a CAI... in fact your stock unit is a great piece... especially with the snorkus delete... youll like it
Old 06-14-2006, 09:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Forester XT Touring (Dark Gray Metallic)
Originally Posted by chgabbs
One question though, do I have to remove my fender for this? And how easy is it to do?
No fender removal necessary. Just take a few clips out of the fender liner to get access to the silencer. I did mine in under 30-minutes.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:14 PM

DomozitoLK, did you use the GP Moto elbow or did you just cut the silencer off? Can you hear your turbo spool up loud and can you hear the by-pass valve?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:37 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ipozestu
If you really want an intake get an OEM SPT intake. Won't effect warranty, carb cert, fits great, sounds kewl
What he ^^^^^^^^^ said! It's clean, looks good and sounds good... drove one at my dealership yesterday after the install. Did I hear a monster motor? No. But, I sure heard the induction...

But, I run snorkeless with a 3" pipe straight into the inner fender out of the stock box. Plenty of engine noise for me... and it still looks bone stock to the 'popo'!

Last edited by NW OBS; 06-16-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:15 PM
VIP Member

DomozitoLK, did you use the GP Moto elbow or did you just cut the silencer off? Can you hear your turbo spool up loud and can you hear the by-pass valve?
I used the GP Moto elbow. Definitely can hear a little more turbo noise and when I come off the throttle after some hard spooling you can hear the bypass valve whoosh. That alone was worth the +/- $40 for that!

I like the looks of the SPT intake (especially with the blue cone filter). If it weren't for my wife not liking loud exhausts and stuff, I'd get that in a heart beat too.

Last edited by DomozitoLK; 06-16-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:16 PM
VIP Member

Update: I just traded for a JDM STI TMIC and installed it today. Before with the factory WRX TMIC and GP Moto elbow, I could hear the bypass valve no problem. With the larger JDM STI intercooler I don't get the woosh coming off the throttle anymore like with the smaller TMIC. I am guessing maybe with a larger turbo I may get the sound back...who knows.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by DomozitoLK
Update: I just traded for a JDM STI TMIC and installed it today. Before with the factory WRX TMIC and GP Moto elbow, I could hear the bypass valve no problem. With the larger JDM STI intercooler I don't get the woosh coming off the throttle anymore like with the smaller TMIC. I am guessing maybe with a larger turbo I may get the sound back...who knows.

That's good to know since I've been thinking of buying a bigger TMIC. By the way, I finally did a snorkle delete without the GP Moto elbow for now. I can hear a little bit of the turbo spooling and if were I'm driving is quiet enough, then I can hear the by-pass valve woosh too. My friend just told me the latest Import Tuner magazine showed a 12hp gain after installing a K&N Typhoon intake on a 06 WRX like mine. I thought there would be no hp gain after adding an intake per majority of everyone on the forum? Now I'm really starting to consider a SPT short ram intake.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:16 PM

Car Info: Vishnu up-pipe, 5/64" mod
That's good to know since I've been thinking of buying a bigger TMIC. By the way, I finally did a snorkle delete without the GP Moto elbow for now. I can hear a little bit of the turbo spooling and if were I'm driving is quiet enough, then I can hear the by-pass valve woosh too. My friend just told me the latest Import Tuner magazine showed a 12hp gain after installing a K&N Typhoon intake on a 06 WRX like mine. I thought there would be no hp gain after adding an intake per majority of everyone on the forum? Now I'm really starting to consider a SPT short ram intake.
Well let me know how the SPT is, cuz I have been thinkin of getting an intake but I two have heard mixed reviews. A 3 in. DP will increase the "woosh" noise your lookin for.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:15 AM

I will definetely let you know the outcome if I get it. I know what you mean, there are so many posts about intakes are bad and then there are some people who say they're good. One thing that concerned me is that they say the oil from the aftermarket filters can clog up the MAF which kinda makes sense and I'm don't want to have to replace that since they cost big $$$. I'm taking my car in for service this weekend and am going to ask the actual Subaru service dept tech for some advice and if they'll cover any problems for that under warranty since it's an SPT product.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:42 AM

The SPT is not oiled.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
air silencer delete FTW! my buddy took mine out at mt hammy last year and on the way home I was next to one of those temporary partitions on the freeway. anyways, I gave it some gas and heard the turbo spool up and was like "wtfm8...is that me??!!" then I went to a small parking lot and fell in love with the turbo sound :banana:

Quick Reply: Cobbs Short Ram Intake