Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Cobb Tuning's initial test data and driving impressions for the 2006 Subaru WRX MT…

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 05:47 PM

Car Info: Mazda RX-8
Thumbs up

Thanks for posting the graph Christian. Looks amazing!!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 09:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Regarding the boost spiking issue... Provided its true, how harmful would magnifying the issue be with a Stage 2 map? For me, reliability is a huge factor in upgrading vs not... I have had my heart set on the Cobb route, but if this is something that can cause damage or curtail the life of the car prematurely then I'd rather not upgarade at all...

Assuming its true, how much risk are we taking here christian? Is it huge or miniscule? Just looking for some sort of reinforcement from someone such as yourself.

PS The VF39 map looks great!!! Keep it up!

Last edited by Boost Addict; 02-18-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:27 AM

Car Info: Seeking
i guess i'll just stick with stage1 cobb and then go straight to cobb stage3 which wouldnt have boost creep issues (i'm assuming) since it would probably come w/ a new turbo
Old 02-18-2006, 10:06 AM

Question

I've been going over the numbers of the VF39 stage 3 and had a few questions Christian:

1) How easily do the larger stock fuel injectors and fuel pump found in the '06 WRX handle this extra power? Are they close to being maxed out? What IDCs did you record during these dyno runs?

2) If I understand your VF-39 stage 3 set-up correctly the only components needed to make this power are: VF-39 turbo, Sti TMIC, down-pipe and Cobb Ap w/ the stage 3 software?

3) How's the driveabilty of this set-up? Does it behave on the street like a stage 1 STI? Would the stock clutch need to be upgraded to handle this extra power?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Boost Addict
Regarding the boost spiking issue... Provided its true, how harmful would magnifying the issue be with a Stage 2 map?
Boost spiking issues are usually created by improper tuning. With a tune, one generally makes inprovements over the factory mapping.

Originally Posted by Boost Addict
Assuming its true, how much risk are we taking here christian? Is it huge or miniscule? Just looking for some sort of reinforcement from someone such as yourself.
I have not personally witnessed any boost spiking or boost creeping on the 2006 models. I have been told that clients think they have a boost creep issue...but, I have never seen any datalogs or other hard evidence. I was working with the client to determine if this was from an improper installation of the downpipe that may have not allowed the wasgetate to fully open. Regardless, we are still looking into this at this point.

Originally Posted by Chiketkd
I've been going over the numbers of the VF39 stage 3 and had a few questions Christian:

1) How easily do the larger stock fuel injectors and fuel pump found in the '06 WRX handle this extra power? Are they close to being maxed out? What IDCs did you record during these dyno runs?
The stock WRX fuel injectors are slightly larger that STi fuel injectors, they are plenty big for this hardware combination. I recall seeing something around 84% IDC for the VF39 mapping.
2) If I understand your VF-39 stage 3 set-up correctly the only components needed to make this power are: VF-39 turbo, Sti TMIC, down-pipe and Cobb Ap w/ the stage 3 software?
You will need the VF-39 turbo, Sti TMIC, turbo-back exhaust system, and Cobb Ap w/ the vf39 mapping for the proper calibration.
3) How's the driveabilty of this set-up? Does it behave on the street like a stage 1 STI? Would the stock clutch need to be upgraded to handle this extra power?
Very driveable. IMO, this combination drives a bit smoother than the STi. The torque curve is a bit more linear and the vehicle just continues to pull w/o falling off. The stock clutch has been sufficient thus far.

Take care,
Christian.

Last edited by Christian.; 02-18-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Thanks for the information christian, id appreciate if youd keep us updated on your findings about the "boost creep" mystery... hearing it from you is far more reassuring to me than just some people who thinks they experience it... Reason being you have an entire product line to protect and tons of potential and current buyers to keep happy... thats why im confident you guys do things thoroughly and correctly! thanks for the prompt response! goodluck
Old 02-20-2006, 01:52 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Christian.
Boost spiking issues are usually created by improper tuning. With a tune, one generally makes inprovements over the factory mapping.

I have not personally witnessed any boost spiking or boost creeping on the 2006 models. I have been told that clients think they have a boost creep issue...but, I have never seen any datalogs or other hard evidence. I was working with the client to determine if this was from an improper installation of the downpipe that may have not allowed the wasgetate to fully open. Regardless, we are still looking into this at this point.

The stock WRX fuel injectors are slightly larger that STi fuel injectors, they are plenty big for this hardware combination. I recall seeing something around 84% IDC for the VF39 mapping.

You will need the VF-39 turbo, Sti TMIC, turbo-back exhaust system, and Cobb Ap w/ the vf39 mapping for the proper calibration.

Very driveable. IMO, this combination drives a bit smoother than the STi. The torque curve is a bit more linear and the vehicle just continues to pull w/o falling off. The stock clutch has been sufficient thus far.

Take care,
Christian.
Thanks for the response Christian!
Old 02-26-2006, 06:12 PM

Christian i have being doing some research about boost creep on the 06wrx.
a lot of people are having this issue with the tbe. this is a mechanical problem so i don't think engine management will do anything to help with it.
i'm getting my cobb tbe with cat this wednesday and i'm having second thoughts about putting it in now because of boost creep. I don't want to spend money on another turbo. its seems that lower temperatures also cause this.
any thoughts on this problems?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:59 PM

i have being doing more research. boost creep IS an issue. pretty bad from what i read. it seems that people without any cats are getting it on the 06 wrx, i don't know about people with hi flow cats.
people say it comes on 4th and 5th gear up to 18 psi.
im getting my high flow cat tbe tomorrow. would you recommend keeping my stock cat? and just putting in the downpipe and axleback?
im freaking out because i don't have a boost gauge so im really hesitating about putting the whole tbe system in it.
what would you recommend?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:18 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
Question European 06 WRX MT

I have an Euro 06 WRX MT in Spain, here we have 95oct. and 98oct. only, the most common is 95oct.

Is the AP valid for European 06 WRX?
Can I have a 95oct. and 98oct. maps for Stage 1 & 2?
Old 03-08-2006, 11:41 AM

Car Info: none
Any updates on the testing with the 18G? I'm curious of what the difference between it and the VF39 would be.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Avelyndd
Any updates on the testing with the 18G? I'm curious of what the difference between it and the VF39 would be.
The 18G mapping is complete. I will spend the remainder of this week composing the map notes for the various versions of the 18G map, 91 Octane, 93 Octane, & CA91. I would like to release both the VF39 and the 18G mapping at the same time...but I would like to get some more testing in on the VF39 mapping before we release it. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Originally Posted by andorrawrx
I have an Euro 06 WRX MT in Spain, here we have 95oct. and 98oct. only, the most common is 95oct. Is the AP valid for European 06 WRX? Can I have a 95oct. and 98oct. maps for Stage 1 & 2?
We have developed the AccessPORT to work with only USDM and certain JDM vehicles.

Take care,
Christian.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Christian.
The 18G mapping is complete.
How do the numbers with the 18G compare to the VF-39? What kinda IDC's are you seeing on the injectors?

Thanks Christian.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:27 AM

Car Info: 06' White GDF 18x10 Wrong Fitment Crew #001
do u guys use catless or catted dp on ur dyno car?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:21 PM

How do the numbers with the 18G compare to the VF-39? What kinda IDC's are you seeing on the injectors? Thanks Christian.
I will load the VF39 vehicle on the same dyno tomorrow and report back to you guys. I need to let you know that the we have two chassis dynos and the one we originally developed the VF39 mapping on is down for servicing. The dyno will most likely read a bit differently because they run different software and they are two different (same MFG and model #, but different units) dynos...which is why the other dyno is down right now. We are upgrading the software and servicing the bearing right now. Regardless, what you want is an FP18G/VF39 comparrison on the same dyno and that is what I will try to post by Friday of this week.

Originally Posted by ommmjido
do u guys use catless or catted dp on ur dyno car?
Catted DP.

Take care,
Christian.

Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning's initial test data and driving impressions for the 2006 Subaru WRX MT…